Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Garmin Zumo RoadTech 590LM and FLHTCU

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2017, 12:31 PM
FenelonPaul
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Garmin Zumo RoadTech 590LM and FLHTCU

I had a Garmin Zumo RoadTech 590LM GPS installed on my 2012 ElectraGlide Classic Ultra, and it has not worked properly since day 1.

The basic problem is that it does not speak the directions. Works perfectly when in my truck with the truck cradle, but not on the bike.

When I bought this, I was told by the dealer that I needed this model with an accompanying interface module to the bike radio, so that it would work seamlessly with the audio system. Well, it doesn't!

The dealer has been working overtime trying to figure this out, but seems to be at a wall. They changed the GPS, the interface module, and even the original radio in the bike... still won't talk to me. They were communicating with Harley tech support who says it is 'supposed' to work.

So, my question is: does anyone else have this particular combo setup, and if so, does it speak the directions through the bike audio system?

Old 06-16-2017, 02:21 PM
jrpetrie
Cruiser

call Garmin and they will help you, when I called them they were patient and walked me through my issues

Old 06-16-2017, 03:14 PM
FenelonPaul
Intermediate

The dealer is talking to them, without success.

I am trying to see if my setup is indeed working on another bike like mine.. just to see if it actually supported.

Old 06-16-2017, 03:17 PM
jrpetrie
Cruiser

it took them 20 minutes to help me. maybe you should call them yourself

Old 06-16-2017, 04:07 PM
FenelonPaul
Intermediate

Did you have the same issue, or a different one?

Did you have the same gps and bike model?

Old 06-16-2017, 05:35 PM
F150HD
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,291 Likes on 849 Posts

I have a 590 installed on my 2012. see photo. I hardwired to the battery but amputated all the other connectors from the line as on a Harley I cannot see using 'audio' prompts for directions (thats just me, have used a Garmin on my bikes for 10ish years).

That said, the yellow circled plugs is probably where your issue lies. One of those is for the audio but I don't know how it connects to the Ultras sound system. Call Garmin Tech support and ask but set a chunk of time aside as you'll prob be on hold awhile, but an issue I had once they helped resolve it.

Also, pick up some purple 3AMP blade fuses as if the fuse ever blows you'll need to pull the seat and swap one in. I found them somewhat hard to find locally for some reason.

Where Garmin fails w/ this device is- the cradle once installed is permanent on the bike. Which is kinda ridiculous. Most I know who use a GPS on a bike don't need it in their own town where they spend much of their riding time.

Old 06-16-2017, 05:56 PM
FenelonPaul
Intermediate

Thanks for the reply.

So, what I hear you saying, is that your installation does not pump the audio prompts through your radio system, correct?

I did not install this.. the dealer did. They charged me a couple hundred bucks for a interface module to make the audio from the gps go through my radio... supposed to interrupt the radio, CB, intercom audio, etc. whenever the gps gives directions. This is what is not working.

The wires you circled in yellow, are not used on my bike.. they are tie-wrapped in a bundle coming out of the inner fairing at the steering column.

The main problem seems to be a Garmin-Harley communications issue: Garmin says it is a Harley problem, and Harley says it is a Garmin problem.

Old 06-16-2017, 07:52 PM
IKnowNot
Road Master
Received 124 Likes on 105 Posts

You did not say if you have an iPod interface installed as well.

Although I do not have experience with the 590, I can state I have seen the same symptoms with my 660.

The 590 harness seems to have an extra plug that my 660 does not have (the ones that F150HD circled in yellow: Mine only has two, there appears to be three with that harness.)

Anyway, one of those plugs is the GPS “AUDIO-OUT” which gets connected to the single pin connector of the NIM.
This connection does not stay together!
So it is common to cover it with electrical tape to hold it together. But with just a slight tug the connection can become slightly separated, and being inside the electrical tape impossible to see.
That will prevent you hearing anything.

I am with F150HD, undue that connection completely, clean it, then put it back together and test.

And as a side, I would find out what the extra third plug is for, and make sure the NIM is plugged into the correct one.

Last edited by IKnowNot; 06-16-2017 at 08:17 PM.
Old 06-16-2017, 08:42 PM
FenelonPaul
Intermediate

Thanks for the reply.

I do not have any special iPod interface connected. However, I do occasionally play my iPod by plugging it into the Aux input jack on the front panel of the Harley radio system. Like all the other functions on the system, it works perfectly.. only the gps will not work through the system.

Now, that said, the GPS will occasionally speak through the system.. but only about 5% of the time. It is almost as if there is a bad connection.

Actually, I am leaning towards electrical noise interference from the engine. Two reasons for this. One, the tech said he had the whole system (gps, interface module, and radio) on the work bench and it appeared to work fine there. Let me qualify that: there should be tactile feedback when touching the gps screen, that manifests itself by audible clicks. This is clearly heard in the truck when I put the gps there... I have only ever heard these clicks once on the bike. So, I had told the tech, if you don't hear the feedback clicks, don't bother roadtesting, cause it won't work.

Another reason i am leaning towards electrical noise is that if I have the intercom on, and crank the throttle, the radio breaks squelch, and I get this static overlaying any audio ( like music or intercom communication). This happens with two different radios, so it sort of rules out the radio.

Bottom line: I really need to know if this GPS is compatible with my bike, hence my request to see if anybody has it working.

Old 06-16-2017, 11:16 PM
IKnowNot
Road Master
Received 124 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by FenelonPaul
Actually, I am leaning towards electrical noise interference from the engine...
Does it work with the motor off and the bike in Accessory mode?

Originally Posted by FenelonPaul
there should be tactile feedback when touching the gps screen, that manifests itself by audible clicks ... I had told the tech, if you don't hear the feedback clicks, don't bother roadtesting, cause it won't work.
I don’t remember hearing audible clicks, I just put the GPS in Simulator Mode and run a route when I want to test it.

Something to concider … I do not know about the 590, assume it is the same, but the RoadTech Zumo and the Garmin Zumo are programed differently.

The RoadTech version is programed to send a specific signal that the NIM listens for which tells it that audible navigation instructions are being sent, and then the NIM sends those to the radio.
The NIM will not send things like XM radio and mp3 audio through. For that you need to hook the GPS through the AUX input on the front of the radio.

So if your audible clicks are not preceded by that signal to the NIM, they will not be heard through the radio.

Last edited by IKnowNot; 06-17-2017 at 12:13 AM.

Quick Reply: Garmin Zumo RoadTech 590LM and FLHTCU