Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RECALL: 5/25/17 Oil Line Clamps on 2017 Touring Bikes

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2017, 05:40 PM
Firenailer
Road Master
Received 133 Likes on 95 Posts

Thanks for the heads up on this. I called the dealer and I'm under the recall. I put mine up on the Jack and gave all 4 clamps a look and a wiggle. Everything seems clean and tight so far. I'm planning on going to americade and it's gonna rain like hell again tomorrow so I don't know if I'll get to the dealer before I go.

I really hate it when stuff like this happens, I'm gonna be thinking about those damn clamps the whole time I'm riding

Old 06-05-2017, 05:42 PM
Vandinroth
Advanced
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Chatted with the service dept at my dealer this morning and they said so far about 2 out of 60 bikes they've seen actually needed anything done. Looks like hte affected rate is pretty low.

Old 06-05-2017, 06:16 PM
psyshack
Road Warrior
Received 363 Likes on 266 Posts

I didn't do the 3 hole service yesterday. Got a bad headache. But I did get it done today. My clamps are installed correct and tight. And no hose's appear to be rubbing. There was a bit of oil under there but I'm sure it's because of all the oil pressure testing I've been doing. I sprayed it all down with some Simple Green and gave it a good belly wash. Will keep my eyes on it.

Old 06-05-2017, 06:28 PM
YPD485
Stellar HDF Member
Received 157 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by BezerkoBob
There must be a range of VIN's that are affected but not listed because I just checked my buddies '17 FLHTKL on the HD website and his shows no open recalls. Will check his oil lines tonight when he gets home from work.
You do realize that the FLHTKL is twin cooled and not included in the recall?

Old 06-05-2017, 09:13 PM
xnysgt
Tourer
Received 76 Likes on 50 Posts

I called my dealer and checked on this oil cooler line clamp recall in regards to my '17 RGS because I didn't want to wait for the MoCo recall notice. My dealer looked up my VIN because I used a VIN decoder but you can't determine the manufacture month and day to determine if you're affected. My bike WAS subject to the recall inspection and I got it right to my dealer who did a prompt inspection and determined my oil cooler lines had their clamps properly crimped (that was the basis of the recall, certain clamps on models manufactured during certain months we not crimped properly). I was on my way in 30 minutes. Luckily too, they found seeping on the rocker box gaskets, so I made an appointment to get that covered under warranty.

Old 06-05-2017, 09:31 PM
Teufelhunden
Road Captain
Received 93 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by goblue90
Here's the work order from my recall visit. All they did was visually check the clamps and took my bike for a 2 mile joyride.

And the chances are good that the test ride didn't happen....they just flagged the time for it......

YMMV

Lon

Old 06-05-2017, 11:06 PM
BrandonSmith
Club Member
Received 2,813 Likes on 1,692 Posts

Originally Posted by xnysgt
I called my dealer and checked on this oil cooler line clamp recall in regards to my '17 RGS because I didn't want to wait for the MoCo recall notice. My dealer looked up my VIN because I used a VIN decoder but you can't determine the manufacture month and day to determine if you're affected. My bike WAS subject to the recall inspection and I got it right to my dealer who did a prompt inspection and determined my oil cooler lines had their clamps properly crimped (that was the basis of the recall, certain clamps on models manufactured during certain months we not crimped properly). I was on my way in 30 minutes. Luckily too, they found seeping on the rocker box gaskets, so I made an appointment to get that covered under warranty.
Date of manufacture is on the sticker on the left downtube. Your VIN is stamped on the right downtube.

Old 06-06-2017, 05:44 AM
Firenailer
Road Master
Received 133 Likes on 95 Posts

Does anyone have a pic of a "bad" clamp install?

Old 06-06-2017, 06:57 AM
Schex
Supporter
Received 6,928 Likes on 1,814 Posts

Originally Posted by WristpinKnock
Just went out and checked mine. Everything is tight and dry.

This hose has a crimp clamp on my bike, not a spring clamp. It looks like that's the oil pump outlet side of the system, so I'd imagine you'd see the highest pressure from here into the cooler? There are crimp-type clamps on mine all the way up to the hard lines going into the cylinder heads. The return side - exiting the rear cylinder - is a spring-type clamp...but, that's low pressure (I assume.)
Interesting, my build date is 08-23-16

Old 06-06-2017, 08:47 AM
BrandonSmith
Club Member
Received 2,813 Likes on 1,692 Posts

A bad crimp would be a crimp that has not been crimped (lol).

Bad crimp:

Good crimp: notice the shape of the ear on the band

This video may be slow and painful to watch, but it has some practical knowledge that people can learn. The 5:00 mark is where he starts to crimp.

Last edited by BrandonSmith; 06-06-2017 at 08:54 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by BrandonSmith:
Firenailer (06-06-2017), GeeBel (06-07-2017), imchuckm (06-06-2017), Vandinroth (06-06-2017)

Quick Reply: RECALL: 5/25/17 Oil Line Clamps on 2017 Touring Bikes