General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is this still the preferred rain gear?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2017, 11:10 AM
Grandslam
Road Warrior
Received 339 Likes on 210 Posts

I first bought a cheap set from Leather Up. It kept me dry. I rode the rain so hard a couple of times where I was worried that someone might not see me. I bought the HD High Viz.

Old 05-23-2017, 12:32 PM
101ABN_17FLHTK
Cruiser
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

I have the Arc'teryx Alpha jacket and bibs. Best piece of rain gear I have ever owned.

Old 05-23-2017, 08:22 PM
hell hound
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 128 Likes on 106 Posts

I bought an hd "mud dog" suit around 10 years ago when my wife worked for HD so I got a sweet discount back then. It has been one of the best purchases. When I go on trips I dont take my leathers because they are so dam big and bulky, so i take a functional light jacket and my rain gear. If the temps down down I will put the rain gear on even if its dry.

Ive been of several trips where is was misty/ wet the whole time and just left my rain pants on for days at a time.

The suit is finally breaking down and I need to start looking for a new one.

Old 05-24-2017, 09:53 AM
Bart van der Meulen
Road Master
Received 57 Likes on 45 Posts

Real working rain suits don't exist. The only working rain suit on a motorbike is a scubadiving drysuit. I have the most expensive rainsuit I could get in Western Europe (known for its rainy days and heavy showers of a day long). On my trip through Switzerland it lasted exactly 15 minutes to be soaked till my underwear. The temp was OK, so no problem. In Milano I emptied my boots (protected with rain covers) and I estimated that 3 liters of water came out of every boot. The hair dryer and old newspapers did their job that night, including the hotel laundry dryer. Don't you worry, all my friends here in Europe have the same experiences. Rain suits? Only a delay of time before becoming soaked completely.

Old 05-26-2017, 07:11 AM
Wowser
Road Warrior
Received 424 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by Bart van der Meulen
Real working rain suits don't exist. The only working rain suit on a motorbike is a scubadiving drysuit. I have the most expensive rainsuit I could get in Western Europe (known for its rainy days and heavy showers of a day long). On my trip through Switzerland it lasted exactly 15 minutes to be soaked till my underwear. The temp was OK, so no problem. In Milano I emptied my boots (protected with rain covers) and I estimated that 3 liters of water came out of every boot. The hair dryer and old newspapers did their job that night, including the hotel laundry dryer. Don't you worry, all my friends here in Europe have the same experiences. Rain suits? Only a delay of time before becoming soaked completely.
Revit works for me. Bone dry after days of rain, going on my third year with it.

Old 05-26-2017, 12:55 PM
TKDKurt
Elite HDF Member
Received 126 Likes on 88 Posts

I can't really understand spending alot of money on a rainsuit that you will cram into the bottom of your saddlebag and hope to never need. I have this one which was Motocentric and I think cost me $29 about 6 years ago. Unfortunately, I've had a couple weeklong tours where I had to wear it most of the time (like this photo on the way back from Rainconia, aka Laconia) and it's held up just fine and done the job. Go cheap! (You can see the reflective piping really work from the way they shine in the camera flash!)

Whatever you pick, here's a tip from an oldtimer--pack a plastic grocery bag with your rainsuit. When you stop to put it on, put the bag over your boot. The pants will slide on easily without snagging on your boot tread. Then take it off and repeat with the other boot.

Last edited by TKDKurt; 05-26-2017 at 03:24 PM.
Old 06-04-2017, 03:00 PM
BrandonSmith
Club Member
Received 3,153 Likes on 1,860 Posts

I just purchased this rain gear from Revzilla on CLOSEOUT. $25 for jacket, $25 for pants. 75% off! So cheap, I even bought a set for the old lady so she'll quit complaining about getting wet... I though that was a good thing!