Sponsored by:

Brandon's 2017 FLHX

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2017, 12:36 PM
BrandonSmith
Club Member
Received 3,159 Likes on 1,862 Posts

The following 3 users liked this post by BrandonSmith:
A1A (06-11-2020), Rude1 (11-19-2023), Sam D. (05-08-2017)
Old 05-08-2017, 08:52 PM
BrandonSmith
Club Member

Looking to pick up a new helmet. I've been using an old hand-me-down Fulmer from a sport bike. Definitely doesn't go with the denim black street glide.

The Capstone from Harley is pretty nice, but the price isn't: $250! So, what anyone that isn't a Harley billboard would do is look at the HJC equivalent, which is the IS-MAX II. At Harley, they want $210 for it. One Amazon seller has it for $150! The next cheapest in that size and color is $189... Also bought the chin curtain for $10.

HJC IS-MAX II Modular Motorcycle Helmet (Matte Black, Large)
Amazon Amazon

Last edited by BrandonSmith; 05-15-2017 at 08:25 PM.
Old 05-08-2017, 10:27 PM
jdreynss
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just curious about the result of hiding the antenna under your seat. How is your radio reception now?

Old 05-09-2017, 09:12 AM
BrandonSmith
Club Member

Originally Posted by jdreynss
Just curious about the result of hiding the antenna under your seat. How is your radio reception now?
Nothing changed.

Old 05-15-2017, 05:49 PM
Prot
Club Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 15,815 Likes on 6,704 Posts

This is the most comfortable helmet I have ever owned and is what I currently use. It seems like a lot of money for a half helmet, but it fits the shape of my head perfectly and is extremely lightweight. It is also much cooler than many of the helmets I have had in the past. That is a big deal for me since our temperatures regularly exceed 100 degrees with humidity around 90%.

https://www.harley-davidson.com/stor...03-half-helmet

I have had cheap helmets before and they weren't worth even the small amount of money I paid for them. In the 80's, I liked Fulmer but they have gone down in quality. I found HJC to be so hot that I would have to wring my hair out when I would take off my helmet.

Old 05-15-2017, 07:04 PM
intimidator32
Intermediate
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by BrandonSmith
Looking to pick up a new helmet. I've been using an old hand-me-down Fulmer from a sport bike. Definitely doesn't go with the denim black street glide.

The Capstone from Harley is pretty nice, but the price isn't: $250! So, what anyone that isn't a Harley billboard would do is look at the HJC equivalent, which is the IS-MAX II. At Harley, they want $210 for it. One Amazon seller has it for $150! The next cheapest in that size and color is $189...

HJC IS-MAX II Modular Motorcycle Helmet (Matte Black, Large) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NLR3VD2..._Pcsezb2ZBSRBD
I have that helmet. Its pretty good but i had to change to a smaller cheek pad and changed the drop down sun vizor to the "dark tint" its darker than the stock but still needs to be darker. air flow is decent and wind noise is acceptable. also bought the chin curtain all purchased from revzilla, good guys and will answer endless questions

Old 05-15-2017, 08:16 PM
Teufelhunden
Road Captain
Received 93 Likes on 74 Posts

[QUOTE=benscratchin;16045661]
Originally Posted by BrandonSmith
The first thing I noticed about the bike was the wind buffeting... Wow! My ears were ringing and my eyes were rattling around in my skull. With 75 mph speed limits here in rural Texas, the wind has to be managed.

I ride without a helmet. I do wear something on my head to prevent sunburn. Without the right windshield everything would blow off my head. Even my sunglasses would vibrate up and down to the point where I couldn't see well. The stock factory windshield had to go... With the right windshield I can wear a ball-cap turned backwards and it will stay put. I also wear ear plugs when riding highway speeds.

And what windshield would that be?

THX

Lon

Old 05-15-2017, 08:27 PM
BrandonSmith
Club Member

[QUOTE=Teufelhunden;16240523]
Originally Posted by benscratchin
And what windshield would that be?
THX
Lon
Looks like a javelin in his picture. Maybe 8-9"

The following users liked this post:
Teufelhunden (05-15-2017)
Old 05-15-2017, 08:36 PM
BrandonSmith
Club Member

Originally Posted by Prot
This is the most comfortable helmet I have ever owned and is what I currently use. It seems like a lot of money for a half helmet, but it fits the shape of my head perfectly and is extremely lightweight. It is also much cooler than many of the helmets I have had in the past. That is a big deal for me since our temperatures regularly exceed 100 degrees with humidity around 90%.

I have had cheap helmets before and they weren't worth even the small amount of money I paid for them. In the 80's, I liked Fulmer but they have gone down in quality. I found HJC to be so hot that I would have to wring my hair out when I would take off my helmet.
Your helmet is one of a few that is not manufactured by HJC for Harley. My full face HJC IS-MAX 2 (Harley Capstone equivalent) weighs a pound more than your half helmet, and considering its over a pound lighter than my old helmet, it feels great. I will not wear a half helmet, but if I did, yours looks like one I would consider. It definitely gets that hot here, though humidity is lower, around 70-80%. Even at temps over 100 I always wear my jacket, helmet, gloves, etc. I wasn't alive in the 80's (missed it by a few months), but I hear everything was better in the 80's lol.

Old 05-15-2017, 08:39 PM
BrandonSmith
Club Member

Originally Posted by intimidator32
I have that helmet. Its pretty good but i had to change to a smaller cheek pad and changed the drop down sun vizor to the "dark tint" its darker than the stock but still needs to be darker. air flow is decent and wind noise is acceptable. also bought the chin curtain all purchased from revzilla, good guys and will answer endless questions
Thanks for the info. The cheek pads don't push in on my cheeks so I think I'm going to stick with them. The visor could be darker so I'll find a replacement. People complain about the fog but I don't have a problem, even with the chin curtain in place. Even on humid or cold mornings, nothing. If I do when it is colder, I'll spray the visor with anti-fog spray, like what I used to use playing hockey.

Quick Reply: Brandon's 2017 FLHX