Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crap! I got rust

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2017, 09:19 AM
deadrubberboy
Road Master
Received 119 Likes on 107 Posts

I'd do a combo of the suggestions - Cut the tip (all the rusted part) off. Treat edge. Then use that edge dressing stuff (fender tip/car door stuff etc) to cover your work. You might even find edge stuff big enough to cover it without cutting it off? Just sand and treat, then cover? I'd also put the edge stuff on rear bumper to match. Here's the stuff I mean in "chrome":

Amazon Amazon

Last edited by deadrubberboy; 04-05-2017 at 09:24 AM.
Old 04-05-2017, 09:39 AM
HOTLAP
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

I agree with indy-stranger, you can see where there is more rust under the paint further up, I'd do as he suggests and cut it down.
When I did that with my rear fender I used a small brush and painted with cut edge with some black rustolium to protect it and put the chrome door edge guard as a temporary thing...that was probably 7 years ago and it's still on there.

Old 04-05-2017, 10:16 AM
sandman20
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's a really common problem. I fixed my Superglide last year, both front an rear. The rear looked a lot worse than yours. You will find the rust probably goes a lot further than you think. Rather than cut it and risk making matters worse, purchase spray paint kit from colorite. This includes the correct color, primer, clearcoat, sandpaper and rubbing compound. I masked off along the color boundary with 3m autobody tape, sanded all the rust off then sanded the color coat until all the shine was off. Sprayed 3 layers of primer, 3 layers of base/color coat and 3 layers of clear. After a week of cure time, wet sand entire fender and polish. If you do everything correct, it will look like new. I sanded and undercoated the bottom of fenders and so far, no more rust problems.

Old 04-05-2017, 01:42 PM
Bluesrider.df
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,776 Likes on 986 Posts

Thanks for the responses guys. Rust is kinda like colon cancer...when you see it it's probably too late. Just for kicks I looked up the part number for the fender, HD lists various fenders based on the color scheme. It's north of $400, so that is worst case.

Considering the 2 tone color and the stripe, a professional repaint would be pricey, maybe even more, but just for kicks I'm going to stop by a body shop and get a quote. Otherwise it's workarounds - cutting and home repairs. Sigh. I'm just going to ride for now and decide later.

K9F, I will definitely look into that product, thanks! I would like to prevent it from getting worst if possible.

Last edited by Bluesrider.df; 04-05-2017 at 02:14 PM.
Old 04-05-2017, 06:52 PM
S.t.r.a.n.g.e.r
Road Master
Received 812 Likes on 248 Posts

Originally Posted by guitarfish
Just for kicks... HD lists various fenders based on the color scheme...north of $400

...a professional repaint would be pricey, maybe even more, ...

Sigh. I'm just going to ride for now and decide later.
Yep!!
Maybe you can hold out like our fellow Sportster rid'n buddy Lonnie Mac...
Originally Posted by Lonnie Mac
Been a dang long time since my wreck. Finally got a rear fender! Been checking ebay daily for 20 months and finally had a listing in Pewter Silver, '96 with less than 2000 miles on it. Perfect year, perfect fit. $120 bucks, with a friggin light, harness and everything.
If you can muster that kind of patience, it looks like you can save all kinds of dough.
But man...who waits 20 months?
Lonnie Mac does... maybe Guitarfish?

Old 04-05-2017, 07:00 PM
Bluesrider.df
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,776 Likes on 986 Posts

Lol, that was funny.
I ordered this stuff called Metal Blast, which sounds similar to the product listed by K9F. The rust needs to be removed. I don't have a grinder, so I'll start with a wire wheel. Once all the damaged area is cleaned, the stuff goes on, and dries to a black color. It then needs to be painted. I happen to have both paint colors for my ride.

I won't try and explain the product (it's on Amazon). I found a YouTube vid of a guy who used it on a pickup truck with a lot of rust. He posted a 1 year follow up video that was pretty impressive, so I said heck for $20 I'll try it. So if I can stop the rust and it's halfway decent look, I'm fine with that.

Long term, oh yeah, I'll be watching EvilBay. There's a 2 tone fender on there now very similar to mine, but I'm going to see if a match shows up. Hopefully before 20 months!

Old 04-05-2017, 07:07 PM
lewk
Road Warrior
Received 228 Likes on 199 Posts

This works well on my XL1200L. From Home Depot:

Old 04-05-2017, 07:18 PM
Lonnie Mac
Tourer
Received 84 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Indy-Stranger
Yep!!
Maybe you can hold out like our fellow Sportster rid'n buddy Lonnie Mac...

If you can muster that kind of patience, it looks like you can save all kinds of dough.
But man...who waits 20 months?
Lonnie Mac does... maybe Guitarfish?
Ha! Yep! Man that was way long. I do not suggest!! But to match paint my old temp fender I found on Ebay, it was north of 600 bucks every where I looked.

Old 04-05-2017, 07:34 PM
Kirk57
Cruiser
Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

You could always paint both fenders black and the the forty eight look.

Old 04-05-2017, 07:43 PM
Lonnie Mac
Tourer
Received 84 Likes on 65 Posts

This is a opportunity to go full bagger!

Quick Reply: Crap! I got rust