Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Mustang Seat: Super Tripper Classic - FL Touring models 2008-up => 1" backwards

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2016, 01:54 PM
F150HD
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,292 Likes on 850 Posts
Default New Mustang Seat: Super Tripper Classic - FL Touring models 2008-up => 1" backwards

Have been eyeing up the Wide Tripper for a bit more legroom though not sure if it yields any/much (have read conflicting opinions).

Wide Tripper™ Seat Harley-Davidson® FLHT/FLTR/FLHX/FLHR p/n 76614

But, ran across this today on the Mustang site:

Super Tripper™ Classic for Harley-Davidson® FL Touring models 2008-up

Super Tripper™ Classic for Harley-Davidson® FL Touring models 2008-up
p/n 75201

Another article on it

http://www.cycleworld.com/mustang-super-tripper-seat

It looks a touch odd being lowered (could just be me).

Wondering how it feels if someone somehow is already on one?

They make one w/ diff stitching too....

Moves you 1" back. Wonder why they made it 'lower' and not just 'back'. Kinda leaves a hump at ones lower back. Wonder how it feels to sit on.

Old 12-21-2016, 02:42 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 340 Posts

I don;t know if this will be helpful; on my 09 I have had the stock ultra seat, cop seat, 09/10 FLHX seat and the H-D brawler solo.

the brawler was the lowest and furthest back ( at least an inch back and down from the FLHX seat) the seat was good for around town but really too hard for more than a couple of hours.
The farther back position required a bar adjustment- some require a bar swap.
the lower position gave me stress on my hips.

with a more upright position you are lifting your foot off the floorboard and just putting it down.
with the lower position I was having to lift all of my leg, rotate it outwards and drop the foot.
This became a "thing". and I sold the seat.

I am 6'1" and 34" inseam

Mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 12-21-2016 at 02:47 PM.
The following users liked this post:
F150HD (12-21-2016)
Old 02-01-2017, 08:52 PM
F150HD
Grand HDF Member

well, am thinking of pulling the trigger on this, question is- should i get the gunmetal/stitched one or the plain one?

My concern w/ the stitched type was when it gets wet, water gets into the seat. Anyone have thoughts on that? I like the stitched one better but lean at the function of the one w/out the stitching.

which to get....price isn't an issue, nearly the same cost.

Gunmetal one w/ stitching

plain one w/out stitching. Better in rain?

Old 02-02-2017, 06:31 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts

There should be a waterproof membrane under the cover, at least there is on my Corbin. That is a 'bucket' style which collects rain water, but in umpteen years has never let water into the cushion.

F150HD (02-02-2017)
Old 02-02-2017, 07:26 AM
mainboom150
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

id go with smooth look myself. what if after a year the stitching comes out. its common it will fray etc etc... I have also heard that a stitched seat can hurt ur *** more jmo

F150HD (02-02-2017)
Old 02-02-2017, 09:53 AM
Mustang Seats
Former Sponsor
Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts

Here's the official word on our seat's water resistance.

OEM seats feature cheap welded covers, barely-adequate foam and plastic bases. Mustang seats are of a higher degree of craftsmanship – as such, the covers are sewn by a stitcher at a sewing machine one panel at a time. You can’t get that hand-crafted look any other way.

As our seats are hand-stitched, they are not waterproof, and we do not advertise them as such. However, with regular maintenance, the seats are very water-resistant. We use a thread with wax in it to stitch the seats, and we treat each seat’s seams with ProtectAll before it leaves the factory.

We recommend using ProtectAll (a vinyl-specific treatment containing carnauba wax) to clean the seat and treat the seams once or twice a month as part of the regular maintenance of the bike. Carnauba wax is extremely effective at keeping thread from absorbing water. Bee’s wax is also effective for maintaining a moisture barrier.
Never use leather-specific or petroleum-based products on a vinyl seat. The chemicals can interact with the plasticizers in the vinyl, causing discoloration, fading, cracking and premature wear.

If the seat does take some water after a rainy ride, remove the seat from the motorcycle, bring it into a dry, warm place and let it dry with its nose tipped downward. Water will not damage our foam, but we recommend that you do not ride on a soaked foam if possible, as the weight can cause the closed cells in the foam to rupture and collapse the foam’s integrity.

Using a rain cover when the seat is parked in the elements, or when washing the bike, is another wise precaution for keeping the seat dry.

We have more maintenance information available on our website at http://www.mustangseats.com/Mustang/...nd-Accessories .

The following 2 users liked this post by Mustang Seats:
F150HD (02-02-2017), Kermie (02-02-2017)
Old 02-02-2017, 08:28 PM
F150HD
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by grbrown
There should be a waterproof membrane under the cover, at least there is on my Corbin. That is a 'bucket' style which collects rain water, but in umpteen years has never let water into the cushion.
yea dunno. Seems many seats I read about anymore don't have the membrane, Ultmate for example. HD does (at least my seats do)

Does Mustang do that? Guess I could call/ask...

Old 02-02-2017, 08:29 PM
F150HD
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by mainboom150
id go with smooth look myself. what if after a year the stitching comes out. its common it will fray etc etc... I have also heard that a stitched seat can hurt ur *** more jmo
yea, that was my thought on the stitching too. Your jeans rub on it etc, eventually won't the stitch come out?

have never heard the butt-hurt thing before, but I don't own any stitched seats so haven't researched them before.

Old 02-02-2017, 08:39 PM
F150HD
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by Mustang Seats
Here's the official word on our seat's water resistance.

OEM seats feature cheap welded covers, barely-adequate foam and plastic bases. Mustang seats are of a higher degree of craftsmanship – as such, the covers are sewn by a stitcher at a sewing machine one panel at a time. You can’t get that hand-crafted look any other way.

As our seats are hand-stitched, they are not waterproof, and we do not advertise them as such. However, with regular maintenance, the seats are very water-resistant. We use a thread with wax in it to stitch the seats, and we treat each seat’s seams with ProtectAll before it leaves the factory.

We recommend using ProtectAll (a vinyl-specific treatment containing carnauba wax) to clean the seat and treat the seams once or twice a month as part of the regular maintenance of the bike. Carnauba wax is extremely effective at keeping thread from absorbing water. Bee’s wax is also effective for maintaining a moisture barrier.
Never use leather-specific or petroleum-based products on a vinyl seat. The chemicals can interact with the plasticizers in the vinyl, causing discoloration, fading, cracking and premature wear.

If the seat does take some water after a rainy ride, remove the seat from the motorcycle, bring it into a dry, warm place and let it dry with its nose tipped downward. Water will not damage our foam, but we recommend that you do not ride on a soaked foam if possible, as the weight can cause the closed cells in the foam to rupture and collapse the foam’s integrity.

Using a rain cover when the seat is parked in the elements, or when washing the bike, is another wise precaution for keeping the seat dry.

We have more maintenance information available on our website at http://www.mustangseats.com/Mustang/...nd-Accessories .
Thanks. I have used the Protect All before, works great on seats and many things.

=> I'd have to ask, the seat without the stitching would take on less water then the seat WITH the stitching, correct?

also, sounds like you don't do the plastic barrier thing w/ your seats? (is there a drawback to that barrier?)

I ask as out East last summer I had quite a few days where it was raining all day and I had to ride to get from A to B so not riding wasn't an option. Same in New Orleans year prior (poured down there every AM).

Thank you. The Mustang seats I have seen have been a quality build.

Last edited by F150HD; 02-02-2017 at 08:42 PM.
Old 02-03-2017, 07:50 AM
Mustang Seats
Former Sponsor
Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by F150HD
yea dunno. Seems many seats I read about anymore don't have the membrane, Ultmate for example. HD does (at least my seats do)

Does Mustang do that? Guess I could call/ask...
Save you a dime. (A dime?!? How old am I??)

We've experimented with all sorts of things like that. Plastic membranes, seam tapes, "waterproofing" chemicals; you name it, we've done the experiments. All these have fallen into three categories: isn't effective with our design and building techniques, doubles the cost of the seat, and plain old doesn't do anything.

If we could find a cost-effective and performance-effective means to make the seats waterproof, we'd be doing it and so would a lot of other aftermarket companies that currently don't.

F150HD (02-05-2017)

Quick Reply: New Mustang Seat: Super Tripper Classic - FL Touring models 2008-up => 1" backwards