Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trying to decide on new RK headlight

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2017, 10:20 AM
longrideshields-1
Premium Sponsor
Received 86 Likes on 50 Posts

A lot of aftermarket lights (us included) provide a new mounting bucket. Our lights will fit all HD 7" lights. We have you replace the entire headlight bucket with our own.

LongRideShields.com

General Inquiries:
Info@LongRideShields.com
Sales and Marketing:
Sales@LongRideShields.com
Phone:

Old 01-25-2017, 01:24 PM
MorecowbellAz
Cruiser
Received 217 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by jeeper101
I have some info for you:

1. I replaced my headlight with a Daymaker projetor which is basically a JWSpeaker headlight. New can range from $550-600 depending on wether they come with or without the adaptor ring. I bought mine used but in like new condition for $245 with the adaptor ring. I love the difference in lighting, worth the $245 but I would never pay $500 for it. I have the same lamps on my 2008 Jeep wrangler (minus the HD stamp) and I paid $470 shipped with lifetime warranty FOR A PAIR (2) Again, same exact lights, one says Harley Davidson, the other says JWSpeaker.
BTW, they all fit the nacelle but you need the adaptor ring. Usually on eBay for around $30. Depending on the part number, you need a wiring adaptor to go from the old type plug to the new one.

I also bought the HD LED passing lamps (also made by JWSpeaker) and also on my jeep. I paid $200 for the set and used the exact same connectors that were on the bike, just crimped them a bit. No need for adaptors.
The passing lamps fill in the "ghosts" that the LED headlight leaves due to the horizontal D shape pattern. Still a tremendous improvement over any halogen.

It cost me a total of $445 for the set used in like new condition, I would never pay $1000 for these, INHO that is just silly and not worth that kind of cash only because the MOCO had the HD name logo slapped on them.

2. I have 2 OEM halogen headlights in like new condition, had them on CL and fleaBay for like $20 and no one wants them. You can have one for free if you pay shipping. Guaranteed to fit since it is exactly what you had. If you ask me, I would never go back to an incandescent bulb in any of my vehicles. I have JWS LED on both the bike and the jeep and I have HID in the factory projectors in my Ram 3500.
Now a days, ALL halogen defectors suck big time.

PM me if you want the halogen lamp. I also came from a 2000 RK
Thanks man, that's very generous of you to offer, I may take you up on it once I decide once and for all if I want to go back to original or just upgrade to LED. You raise some good points. Sorry for the perhaps dumb question, but the JWS headlights you have, are those the 8700's? All the different versions and updated models get confusing in a hurry.

And thanks for the pics, those are helpful. My RK is the exact same color, haven't seen a whole lot of those for some reason. Yours is CLEAN!!!!!

The following users liked this post:
jeeper101 (01-25-2017)
Old 01-25-2017, 01:27 PM
MorecowbellAz
Cruiser
Received 217 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by longrideshields-1
A lot of aftermarket lights (us included) provide a new mounting bucket. Our lights will fit all HD 7" lights. We have you replace the entire headlight bucket with our own.

LongRideShields.com

Looking at your web site, when you say "bucket" are you referring to the nacelle, trim ring, or something else?

Old 01-25-2017, 05:24 PM
jeeper101
Tourer
Received 92 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by MorecowbellAz
Thanks man, that's very generous of you to offer, I may take you up on it once I decide once and for all if I want to go back to original or just upgrade to LED. You raise some good points. Sorry for the perhaps dumb question, but the JWS headlights you have, are those the 8700's? All the different versions and updated models get confusing in a hurry.

And thanks for the pics, those are helpful. My RK is the exact same color, haven't seen a whole lot of those for some reason. Yours is CLEAN!!!!!
Thanks,
My RKC was until last year a garage queen. Previous owner bought it new and put a whopping 4200 miles on it in 15 years. I bought it last year and nearly clicked 2000 miles. Paid $5800 for it, clean as a whistle. My riding season was cut short last year because I was rearended, now that I put it back together I really have an itch to ride!

Back to your question, the JWS on my Jeep are the 8700 Evo "J" series which are made specifically for the JKU. The difference is they are mated to the Jeep's electrical system so there is no flickering nor a need for a harness, they are 100% plug and play. They also have a silly half halo that Ibdont care much for, but it can be used for DRLs.
If you can find someone who is interested in replacing the headlamp with a JWS, each headlight will cost $240 brand new with a warranty from JWS, not bad huh?
In addition to that, I must tell you that no other off brand China led will give you the usable light that the JWS gives you. Some are A LOT brighter, but the light gets scattered all over the place and most of it ends up in oncoming traffics windshields as opposed to the road.
JWS does have a very clean, very visible cut off line, with almost zero scattered light. Look at the pics below and notice the clean cut off both with and without the fogs on.
My advice, if you can afford it, buy the real lights and not the cheaper knock offs. Otherwise save up and buy them later, and use my free headlight for now.