Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

old school saddle solo seat without springs?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2016, 05:06 PM
scottylonebull
Road Master
Received 58 Likes on 43 Posts
Default old school saddle solo seat without springs?

i'm looking for an old school saddle style seat, similar the the dk custom one,but that goes on like a stock seat where the front lip slips in and 1 bolt in the rear. and i'd prefer it to be approx 2" thick. I had a 1" frame on seat and it was brutal after 50 miles, lol and over 3" is too puffy looking for my taste. the dk seat looks perfect, I literally want that seat without the springs, I just don't care the springer seat look.

Last edited by scottylonebull; 11-13-2016 at 05:34 PM.
Old 11-13-2016, 06:46 PM
Almond farmer
Tourer
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Take a fiber seat pan without the foam with clip in the front and screw tab in rear.
Velcoe the spring type seat to the fiber pan. Use some cast body filler to shape on the fiber pan to the contour of the spring type steel seat pan for good contact surface.

Old 11-14-2016, 01:16 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,157 Likes on 2,421 Posts

Originally Posted by scottylonebull
i'm looking for an old school saddle style seat, similar the the dk custom one,but that goes on like a stock seat where the front lip slips in and 1 bolt in the rear. and i'd prefer it to be approx 2" thick. I had a 1" frame on seat and it was brutal after 50 miles, lol and over 3" is too puffy looking for my taste. the dk seat looks perfect, I literally want that seat without the springs, I just don't care the springer seat look.

That seat can be used without springs. You can use rubber bumpers, or just let it sit on the frame.

Here is a LINK to it with rubber bumpers, or you can delete those and let the seat pan sit on the frame of the bike.

Here's a photo of a seat sitting on the rubber bumpers.

The following users liked this post:
scottylonebull (11-14-2016)
Old 11-14-2016, 08:51 AM
scottylonebull
Road Master

thank you Kevin, I didn't see that on the website.
is the black & white seat a little thicker than the smooth 16" bobber seat?
can the black & white be done in all black smooth?

Last edited by scottylonebull; 11-14-2016 at 09:10 AM.
Old 11-14-2016, 12:34 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,157 Likes on 2,421 Posts

Originally Posted by scottylonebull
thank you Kevin, I didn't see that on the website.
is the black & white seat a little thicker than the smooth 16" bobber seat?
can the black & white be done in all black smooth?
The black and white seat is squared off at the edges, making it look thicker. In the meat of the seat it is the same...it is the same seat pan, same seat foam, but it is marine vinyl instead of leather, and it does not have the piping around the edge, so it smooths down the edges, making it look not as thick.

Another option is to get just the seat pan for the rubber bumpers, you can see it at this LINK.

Then you can take the seat pan to a local upholstery shop and have them cover the seat exactly how you want.

Here's a photo of the kit-

btw, you can trim down the rubber bumpers up to half the height...giving it an even lower profile.

You can also bypass the local upholstery shop if you want, and get a kit and make it exactly how you want. LINKY

Here is a photo of one of the seats I have made for my own Sporty-

Made the above seat out of this-

Old 11-14-2016, 08:55 PM
newtothe48
Advanced
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Seat is very comfortable for 100 miles or more. It does not add any impact protection the way a much thicker seat would. it is a mustang.

scottylonebull (11-18-2016)
Old 11-14-2016, 09:01 PM
Almond farmer
Tourer
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

The OP wants to attach a steel plated spring style seat to his sportster using the metal clip in the front and the metal tab in the rear.
Another suggestion, get a really used LePera "bare bones" seat that uses a 16 gauge metal mounting plate with integral clip and tab.
Remove the old seat covering and foam.
Bolt the custom spring style seat to the LePera mounting plate, resulting in a rigid mounted spoon shaped seat.
No front hinge bolt, no rear spring mounts, no rear floating rubber bumpers, no bouncing seat.
For a minimum thickness foam seat, consider an all leather tractor style seat manufactured by Rich Phillips Seat Co. Saint Louis , Mo,form fitting or an actual John Deere all steel tractor seat with no foam or covering material.
The 1947 version of the JD seat is still available. Incorporated this seat on a custom bike and was very comfortable. My grand father who only weighed 135# with a bony butt spent all day on a tractor plowing corn fields in Kansas using a form fit tractor seat. Also, the after market version of the Ford model 8N tractor seat is still manufactured.
Maybe LePera could sell only the mounting plate.

Last edited by Almond farmer; 11-14-2016 at 09:36 PM.
Old 11-14-2016, 09:12 PM
OctaneGarage
Novice
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

There are 2 sellers on eBay (Rich Phillips and Mother Road Customs) that offer high quality leather seats similar to what you'd described.

Old 11-18-2016, 07:03 PM
scottylonebull
Road Master

Originally Posted by OctaneGarage
There are 2 sellers on eBay (Rich Phillips and Mother Road Customs) that offer high quality leather seats similar to what you'd described.
I had the mother road customs frame on seat for a year, looks awesome in pictures on my bike, but after 125 miles it was brutal. every time i'd hit a bump after the 125 mile mark, I would pray and cringe to get ready for impact lol it was destroying my nuts, they would end up in my stomach by the time i'd get home lol

Old 11-18-2016, 07:03 PM
scottylonebull
Road Master

Originally Posted by newtothe48

Seat is very comfortable for 100 miles or more. It does not add any impact protection the way a much thicker seat would. it is a mustang.
I was looking at these....

Quick Reply: old school saddle solo seat without springs?