Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

The Journeys of Darla ....

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2016, 06:00 AM
jdw1
Road Captain
Received 129 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by CanadianRocky2
I have no idea where I am going tomorrow yet.
Ever been on Idaho 75 north of Ketchum?

Old 09-10-2016, 09:08 AM
CanadianRocky
Club Member
Received 21,677 Likes on 9,537 Posts

Originally Posted by jdw1
Ever been on Idaho 75 north of Ketchum?
Great minds think a like. I am heading up through Sun Valley to Stanley to Salmon. I have been both ways over the pass several times, once last year, but the view of the Sawtooth mountains from Galena Pass never gets old.

It will be a lazy riding day, so should be good for a few Picts.

Old 09-10-2016, 09:20 AM
CanadianRocky
Club Member

Originally Posted by Peter Griffin
These full size photos are really nice.
These are shot with my iPhone, then loaded directly up to the thread from it. It works pretty good and saves a lot of hassle from transferring from my camera to to my laptop. My laptop does not always work because it is only Wifi, my iPhone will upload with just a phone connection. I have my Sony DLSR and lenses with me, but only use it if I am going to want to "work" the shot on Photoshop when I get home. I don't take it out much as this works so well. The problem with the iPhone pictures is that they don't have enough DPI in them to make good Photoshop subjects. But for this kind of thing, it works well, especially with the new cameras in the 6's. I will look at the 7's and if the cameras are even better I will probably get one.

Old 09-11-2016, 02:13 PM
CanadianRocky
Club Member

Sorry about no update last night. It was a long day and finished in the dark. Lots of deer out so I was beat by the time I bunked down in Salmon Idaho. I will update tonight, or tomorrow, once I am home. But here is a taste of yesterday....

Old 09-11-2016, 02:15 PM
CanadianRocky
Club Member

The Sawtooth Mountains from Galina Pass. Stanley is way up the valley from here

Old 09-12-2016, 03:20 PM
jay72
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

You posted a picture of some simulated graves and just below that another picture. In the photo there are structures that resemble small cabins or blinds. Can you explain what they are?

Old 09-12-2016, 03:35 PM
CanadianRocky
Club Member

Originally Posted by jay72
You posted a picture of some simulated graves and just below that another picture. In the photo there are structures that resemble small cabins or blinds. Can you explain what they are?
These are descriptions of the place. They are about 4 ft x3 ft and maybe 2 ft off the ground. Unfortunately they are falling into disrepair so you can't read all the info. There are about 8 of them.

Old 09-13-2016, 08:47 PM
CanadianRocky
Club Member

Time to finish this. I got home two days ago. I left Salmon about 9 am and got to the house about 6. It was cold in the morning (I stayed at the Super 8; nice folks; good breakfast and 1/2 dozz n bikes there) and I had my electric vest and heated grips on high. I didn't take any Picts that day as I did this route earlier in the thread a few months ago, and also because when I am a day away from home I want to put on miles and get there. It was cold, But decent until I got to Polson, then it got ugly. There was a big storm just to the West of Flathead Lake and I hit the front halfway up on the West side. The wind was wicked and there where Whitecaps all over the lake. I wrestled Darla all the way to the South end of Kalispel, and then the rain hit. I put my Rain Gear on and it was a good thing I did. It rained about 1/2 way to the border and then let up and by the time I got to 3/4 hour away from home it started to clear up. As I said, no Picts, as all of them would be gas stations and MacDonalds wh n I stopped for coffee. .... But back to the day before ...

Old 09-13-2016, 09:03 PM
CanadianRocky
Club Member

The previous night I stayed in Pocattelo at amMotel 6 and was lucky enough I get a room. There was a big Fair in the area So the place was busy. I got up and headed towards Sun Valley. I had a lunch with me so decided to spend a bit of time at Craters of The Moon National Monument. I have ridden by it several times over the years, but never went in. This trip I bought a yearly National Parks Pass, so decided to visit. I wish I had a long time ago. Definatley worth the time.

Then headed off towards Highway 75 and the Sawtooths. Drove through Sun Valley and headed up Galena Pass. Stopped on the top for a bit; then down the hill and across the flats to Stanley. Fuel, Hot dog ant gone. It was getting later and I wanted to be in Salmon before dark. Highway 75 from Stanley to Challis is a Motorcyclist dream road. Twisty, tight and a posted speed of 65 mph; with almost no one living on it. Pure fun.

I got through Challis, big fire around there as there was a lot of smoke; and started working my way North and onwards Salmon. The light started to fade, I put my clear glasses on; and slowed down to 45/50 mph, as the deer came out. I was pretty tired, so just unpacked and went to bed. But, to the Picts ....

Old 09-13-2016, 09:20 PM
CanadianRocky
Club Member

...Picts won't load. I will try again tomorrow from the office

Quick Reply: The Journeys of Darla ....