Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

The Journeys of Darla ....

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2016, 09:54 PM
CanadianRocky
Club Member
Received 21,593 Likes on 9,504 Posts

A really good day on Darla. I started off about 10, grabbed a quick bite then headed South on 59. Got down to Broadus, grabbed a coffee and first talked to Lynn, but more on her a bit later. Ran all the way to Little Big horn, then onto Sheridan and west on 14, then onto 14a. If you are ever in the area, 14 & 14a are bucket list roads. After that I headed into Cody, and decided to take a few days here. Apparently there are no more shoot outs on main street. I guess someone forgot to check if there real 45's had a cartridge or something..... And even in Wyoming they frown on people actually shooting at each other, even if it is in fun. I had supper at the Irma out on the deck. Real nice. Ya ya, I can hear it from here, get on with the damn pictures will ya.....

It's deja vu all over again..... Hwy 59 and just me

An honest to God one room school house. Only in Rural Wyoming, eh?

Say hello to Lynn. She is from Maryland, I think. I first chatted with her for a moment on Broadus, then she ran tail gunner all the way to Lame Deer. We stopped at the gas station, fueled up and had a sandwich by the bikes. Hell of a person, real friendly and can ride that 600 like a bat out of hell. We left together and headed for Little Big Horn and pulled in together. I like to ride alone but Lynn can ride with me anytime. After LBH we said our good byes, she headed North and I headed south.

Met this couple at LBH. The live about two hours away from me and bought there Harley's from the same dealer I got mine. Mark, the salesman, is a good friend of mine.

If you have never been here, it is really something to see. The soldiers who died there are all in a cemetery. These crosses are all over, it is where they fell.

On 14 and heading back into the Mountains

Lots and lots of this

On the way up....

Old Rocky

Really Old Rock

At the top. Not many scenic shots today. There is a big fire to the west and all the valleys are filled with smoke....

A bit further on. Billion year old outcropping. There is a big Medicine Wheel up a gravel road right here, but it was getting late and I will come back again for the ride up.

Heading down. Steep and twisty.

...lots of this ....

Look closely and you will see the road on the right mountain.

So that's it for today. Tomorrow is a rest day. I will stay in town, do some museums, check the town out and apparently you can shoot a real western gun somewhere. I am going to go and scare the bejeasus out of some targets.

Day after tomorrow I will go do the two passes, Beartooth and Chief Joseph.

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 07-03-2017 at 07:54 PM.
Old 08-29-2016, 06:17 AM
jdw1
Road Captain
Received 129 Likes on 86 Posts

Fwiw, if you take CJH out of Cody to the Bear Tooth then turn and head to Red Lodge, it's a ride you should spend all day on, then when you leave Red Lodge head east on 308 over to 72 then south you can be back in Cody in a little over and hour. So my point is don't cut your self short on the ride up because it doesn't take all that long to get back, unless you are planing on doubling back. You my already know this, just some info.

Old 08-29-2016, 08:01 AM
CanadianRocky
Club Member

Originally Posted by jdw1
Fwiw, if you take CJH out of Cody to the Bear Tooth then turn and head to Red Lodge, it's a ride you should spend all day on, then when you leave Red Lodge head east on 308 over to 72 then south you can be back in Cody in a little over and hour. So my point is don't cut your self short on the ride up because it doesn't take all that long to get back, unless you are planing on doubling back. You my already know this, just some info.
Thanks. I have done a bit of section before. I will take all day tomorrow. Hopefully the air will be clear for some better Picts. There is A lot of smoke in the air.

A lazy day today. Just hanging around Cody. I see Doc V is West of me and heading east, and I will be heading West in a few days. Maybe we can meet up and have lunch. Here is where I am staying. Super friendly owners, very close to downtown and not expensive for a destination town. About $90 for a room.

Easy in and out and very Motorcycle friendly.

Park right in front of the room....

And a place to wash your ride. Can't beat that with a stick...

Breakfast at the Irma, the bar/hotel Buffalo Bill Built for his daughter.

So.... There is a live fire indoor range in Cody where you can shoot replicas of a lot of guns from the old west. Hand guns, muzel loaders ...... And a 20 clip Gattling Gun. .... I went in and saw someone shoot it. $40 for 20 shots. Takes about 10/15 seconds or so. Nope, didn't do it. But man oh man I thought about it.

They give you a target you shoot up as a souvenir. You can buy a T-shirt and shoot the **** out of it also. But I told the guy they where missing the market right now ..... The should be selling pictures of Hillary and Trump. I would have bought both ...... Oh oh, is that a black Suburban outside the Motel??

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 07-03-2017 at 07:54 PM.
Old 08-30-2016, 09:09 AM
CR3999
Road Captain
Received 119 Likes on 80 Posts

Rocky, that Road to the Sun is a nice ride. I was up there for five days. Just got home a few weeks ago. I'll get around to posting pictures as I have a ton of them.
Yellowstone takes weeks to see it all. I'll have to go back again to see some more. Safe travels!
Missed you at Sturgis, had my eyes peeled looking for Darla. I stayed in Deadwood.

Old 08-30-2016, 09:19 AM
CanadianRocky
Club Member

Originally Posted by CR3999
Rocky, that Road to the Sun is a nice ride. I was up there for five days. Just got home a few weeks ago. I'll get around to posting pictures as I have a ton of them.
Yellowstone takes weeks to see it all. I'll have to go back again to see some more. Safe travels!
Missed you at Sturgis, had my eyes peeled looking for Darla. I stayed in Deadwood.
My buddy Mark went to Sturgis and I was supposed to travel with him. Just wasn't in the cards this year.

Today I head north up to Red Lodge and run over The Beartooth then back to Cody via Chief Joseph pass. I have never done Beartooth East/West on a bike and never Chief Joseph either way. The day looks clear, so maybe I get some good Picts.

Old 08-30-2016, 06:23 PM
CR3999
Road Captain
Received 119 Likes on 80 Posts

Everything was pretty smoky in the part of the country when I was there.
If your going to Yellowstone, the east entrance is the best road in the park. IMO
Happy Trails!

Old 08-30-2016, 09:54 PM
CanadianRocky
Club Member

It was another great day. I got up a bit later, had some coffee, went downtown for a bagel and then headed out. I set the cruise at 60 as I wanted to have a relaxing ride and see the sites. Up to Belfry and over the hill into Red Lodge. Got some food for later and then headed west to The Beartooth. Stopped along the way and on top, and went for a short hike. Back on Darla, down the hill to the Junction and South towards Chief Joseph pass. There is a bit of construction on the East side, but nothing to keep you off the mountain. Then back to Cody. It was a nice 7 hr day with lots of time off the bike. But, to the pictures ....

That's the Beartooth mtns.

A nice little pull out just before Red Lidge.

Red Lodge is to the right, the valley to The Beartooth is straight ahead ......

...you don't go through these, you go over them

Looking up to towards the top. There are suppose to be no straight lines in nature, so those are the road

Looking back down

Twisty stuff

Wonderful twisty road

Above the trees

A nice couple asked me if I wanted my pict. I said sure.

The top of the pass says 10,945 ft. But I wanted more, so I got a bottle of water and slowly started walking up towards the ridge on the south side of the road. This is as high as I got.

And hit 11,051....

... And found life on a rock.....

... And this. I say it is a solar powered outhouse. Door was locked. What do you think?

From the top parking lot, and looking down. Again, beautiful twisty road

From the lake looking back towards the top

Top Of The World store. Worthy of a stop. A man, his son and one of his sons cousins, all from China, asked me if they could get a picture of me with them by the bike. We did that then I asked them if they wanted pictures of them on Darla. The father and the girl got on the bike and had pictures taken. It was so much fun I forgot to take a picture of them doing it.

It's an open range, so caution should be exercised

And south towards Chief Joseph pass

And there it is. Again, up and over

From the road looking up to the top

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 07-03-2017 at 07:55 PM.
The following users liked this post:
pyuchem (02-16-2023)
Old 08-30-2016, 10:37 PM
CanadianRocky
Club Member

Yup.....It's like that.

At the top. Stop and read about the history.

Really cool red mountain at the bottom.

It was a great relaxing day. Tomorrow I head into Yellostone but I am not staying. I will be in Idaho Falls tomorrow evening.

Packed while having a coffee, then went downtown for breakfast. Then headed west towards Yellowstone. The sign on the west side of town said the South entrance was open so I decided to head towards Jackson Hole. I drove through the the fire area and it was still smoking in some spot. I took the side road through Teton Park and got into Jackson and took a break downtown. After that I headed out on Hwy 22 to Victor over the pass, stopped for coffee and continued over Pine Pass and onto Idaho Falls. Picture time. .....

Great coffee shop in Cody. That's the owner. Very friendly. I spent a bunch of my coffee time here. Great bagel breakfast sandwich.

Through the tunnels....

....and towards the park gate.

The spiral road and tunnel. Pretty cool how they use to get into the park back in the day.

Yellowstone Lake.

The southern extent of the fire. At times you could see the flames. That is northern end of Jackson Lake. Further back towards Yellostone the fire had jumped the road and burned both sides

Jackson Lake and the Tetons.

The Tetons. Just bloody marvellous.

Downtown Jackson. Around Sturgis both sides of the street are lined with Harley's.

Heading west out of Jackson, and time for another twisty climb and decent.

Close to the top

This is the old road. Must have been pretty cool to ride up and down it.

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 07-03-2017 at 07:56 PM.
Old 08-31-2016, 09:59 PM
CanadianRocky
Club Member

The top of Teton pass

Coffee time in Victor. Great store and coffee.

Heading out of Victor towards Pine pass. Nice road. Lots of corners.

These signs are getting more and more prelavent, or maybe I just notice them more.

This fire was right beside Pine Pass, but I didn't see any of it until I was back in the valley. The flames could also be seen.

Old 08-31-2016, 10:03 PM
CanadianRocky
Club Member

I got into town and found my motel. Unpacked and found a salad and a pizza. So here I sit, wondering where next. North and home, West towards the Oregon coast, or South towards The Grand Canyon via Monument Valley ..... Stay tuned for the further Adventures of The Journeys of Darla......

Quick Reply: The Journeys of Darla ....