General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Boots, and the elements thereof

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2016 | 07:19 PM
Zerk
Banned

How many people have tried injection molded soles? Similar to running shoes. They are marketed under tactical, military, EMS. I have to wonder if the standard sewn on sole is just outadated, and we are just wearing what we always wear.

Curious to try Keen, not your standard company for work boots. But I have met some guys who love them for work. Problem is they tend to be steel and not composite. I rarely buy steel anymore unless it is for a dedicated summer boot.

Old 08-08-2016 | 07:27 PM
Zerk
Banned

Originally Posted by PeterV
Yes they're lace ups, and the Ft Lewis in particular is tall, lotsa support.
Feel great being worn, I have a pair of engineer boots, they feel ok riding, they're loose, the Danners feel snug but soft, feel like hi-top runners.
Just because they are lace up, doesn't mean they a have proper support after years. They can bag out, stretch to much. May be comfortable.

The lace up portion adjust to the upper ankle. But doesn't do alot for the heel and the bottom of the foot. Mostly the top and below calves.

Leather stretches.

I have never worn your boots, so I don't know. I am asking the question. I think we get in a rut and do it the way we have always done it.

I shattered my foot, and have issues. I have been on a quest for the perfect boot. Sometime I have find one I love. Then after awhile quit loving it. Then I may like again later. Sometimes think it is good to rotate boots ever few weeks, don't let your foot conform to much to the boot.

I have worn out boots, went to get the same pair, and didn't like them. Maybe bad foot day, maybe they changed something in design, maybe my foot isn't the same as last year.

My good foot has grown. They do that with age, you lose arch support, plus I favor it.

Old 08-08-2016 | 07:30 PM
Zerk
Banned

Myself I won't wear anything under 7-8", but lots of guys like 6". Lots of guys like pull ups. I used to too. I used to walk the dog two miles a day in my Double H and go bird hunting with them on. I gave them up, even before I injured my foot.

Old 08-08-2016 | 08:40 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member

Stitched soaks are far from out dated! Injected molded soles may feel soft and cushy but a proper built solid boot soak is way more comfortable and will last many years. Injected molded soles are disposable. A well built pair of boots shouldn't even need foam insoles. Been on my feet in 10 inch boots for 25 years. Flat footed size 15" to boot! Your money, your choice.

Old 08-08-2016 | 08:52 PM
Eastcoast Jim
Tourer

I'm not much help on this thread - I'm either wearing cowboy boots or sneakers - high top Chucks - Eastcoast Jim

Old 08-08-2016 | 09:21 PM
Jumper1
Tourer

This is what I wear and I really like them. Whatever you do get a rubber sole. Laces can and do get hung on shifters. Had a pair of laces cause me to dump a dirt bike years ago. Tuck em in if you go laces.

Old 08-08-2016 | 10:20 PM
Zerk
Banned

Originally Posted by soft 02
Stitched soaks are far from out dated! Injected molded soles may feel soft and cushy but a proper built solid boot soak is way more comfortable and will last many years. Injected molded soles are disposable. A well built pair of boots shouldn't even need foam insoles. Been on my feet in 10 inch boots for 25 years. Flat footed size 15" to boot! Your money, your choice.
So what if they are disposible? Is better to have good comfort or a year, then medicore for 10?

If you think you don't need good foam inserts, you are lucky, or don't know any better.

Tangent to this, all these boots are decent. It amazes me the people I see going around with crappy footwear. Some of it is youth, some women, some I just don't know, easy lives I guess. The people I see with thin little crappy shoes, has me shaking my head.

Either technology changes. Maybe cheaper, maybe better. I just know I don't want to kickstart a bike or to have chain. But ever year tons of people want to convert to chains.

Some guys ride around on crappy little seats, cause it looks cool, and they don't ride much anyways, so they prefer it to a couch. We all have our reasons.

Old 08-08-2016 | 10:26 PM
Zerk
Banned

Has anybody worn a tennis shoe that had sewn welt? Would you buy one, if you could find one?

I don't know if this is better or not. But for for years, I have said the best thing for Harley bikes will be when the baby boomers die. They get offended. But when it happens technology will improve. It won't be because this is the way we always done it.

Ankle support of boots, with the comfort of tennis shoes, would seem like a good idea to some.

Old 08-13-2016 | 12:13 PM
Unclesams_Slim
Cruiser

This is what I use now, very comfortable.

http://www.zappos.com/dr-martens-wor...160813171152:s

I use to wear Icon lace up riding shoes, but these boots are much more comfortable.

Old 08-14-2016 | 08:49 PM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member

TCX X-Blends. Look like Doc Martens, feel like Doc Martens, have actual motorcycle stuff to them.

Quick Reply: Boots, and the elements thereof