Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Fuel Tank lift???

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2016, 05:14 PM
mgb1
Cruiser
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Fuel Tank lift???

Hey guys. What's the primary reason for lifting the tanks on these trikes. I see that a lot of folks do a "tank lift" listed as part of the options on their trikes. Is it cosmetic only or is there another reason?

Old 08-07-2016, 07:18 PM
rhino 2
Tourer
Received 94 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by mgb1
Hey guys. What's the primary reason for lifting the tanks on these trikes. I see that a lot of folks do a "tank lift" listed as part of the options on their trikes. Is it cosmetic only or is there another reason?
A little bit of both... The lift allows for more air to move over the engine to cool it down a little... And then cosmetically to be able see/reach the chrome valve covers to clean them..

Old 08-07-2016, 09:40 PM
Fearless (old nickname)
Road Master
Received 115 Likes on 103 Posts
Default 2" on Old Shiney

I did the 2" on my tri. helps cool engine helps deflect wind down over motor instead up in face (glasses dance) Clean rocker boxes easier.

Old 08-08-2016, 07:45 AM
ISP-FLHTK
Road Captain
Received 114 Likes on 84 Posts

Thanks for asking mgb1, I have wondered same thing! Do most DIY or have dealer do it? I assume there is a kit involved?

Old 08-08-2016, 08:12 AM
rhino 2
Tourer
Received 94 Likes on 68 Posts

Every post i read they did it themselves.. You can get the kit from..D-K Customs.
I would think if you gave the kit to your friendly dealer they would do it for you.
For a price... And if there not friendly they might say no it will void your warranty... Just remember thats a stock answer when a dealer doesn't want to try something different.. Just asking a dealer if something will void the warranty 'Will void the warranty....

Old 08-08-2016, 08:57 AM
ncdeekay
Tourer
Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

In all the posts I've read about cooling our trikes, a lift kit is always one of the primary answers. Pretty sure DK customs has a very popular and well respected solution. I will be doing mine over the winter I think.

Old 08-08-2016, 09:01 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,224 Likes on 2,458 Posts

A Tank Lift with a Deluxe option will cool the engine down, will reduce buffeting for many folks, and shows off your chrome better, also makes it easier to clean the top of the rocker covers.

See more pics and details HERE.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

The following users liked this post:
ISP-FLHTK (08-08-2016)
Old 08-09-2016, 03:48 AM
Fusionfool
Road Captain
Received 66 Likes on 53 Posts

Follow the pre-order measurement details from DK custom, then order, and installation is really easy. Hint when ready to install, run you gas tank lower so it is lighter. You can down load the installation instructions at the DK custom sight.
I went from having 2 1/2" to not having them when I changed my handle bars, due to not enough space when new bars were rotated. Could not stand the stock look, or loss of air flow. I then ordered and installed the 1 1/2" and gave the 2 1/2 to a friend who could use them.

Old 08-09-2016, 09:23 PM
Fearless (old nickname)
Road Master
Received 115 Likes on 103 Posts
Default why wait

As easy and inexpensive as this mod is why wait and put up with that heat for the rest of the summer I'd think about that I'm old and I did by myself with the help of a 3X4 wedge.

Originally Posted by ncdeekay
In all the posts I've read about cooling our trikes, a lift kit is always one of the primary answers. Pretty sure DK customs has a very popular and well respected solution. I will be doing mine over the winter I think.

Old 08-09-2016, 10:00 PM
ncdeekay
Tourer
Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Fearless (old nickname)

As easy and inexpensive as this mod is why wait and put up with that heat for the rest of the summer I'd think about that I'm old and I did by myself with the help of a 3X4 wedge.
You're probably right Fearless though despite all the indications of ease of installation I gotta tell you I have the mechanical dexterity of a snowman ⛄️ I'm thinking I should get the deluxe option to raise the rear of the tank also right?

Quick Reply: Fuel Tank lift???