Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Floor Board Extensions

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2014, 10:37 AM
WRE4U
Road Master

Received 230 Likes on 130 Posts
Default Floor Board Extensions

One night when not sleeping well, I got deep into a few of the articles here on the forum (kinda of lurking) and came upon a recommendation from DK Custom (Kevin) regarding these extensions from VTwin Goodies.

They looked like they would be helpful, first to move my leg position out a little from the heat, and away from the motor, also to make it a little more comfortable, as I have had a couple of hips replaced and a knee as well.

Anyway, I did purchase them, and started the installation yesterday....as recommended they were a good fit, are built well, and looked very easy to install http://www.ebay.com/itm/300933546761...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT easy for most people, however, with my luck and mechanical ability....things are never easy! I think one of the original bolts coming out, kind of stripped the threads in the frame, and has started the new bolt from the new kit to follow that path. I stopped there and WD-40ed the hole and thought I would tackle the job and finish up today. The bolt is in an awkward place, and it seems it does not want to go in straight.

Should I look into starting a tap in the hole, or continue on with the new bolt? I think I know the answer, and knowing my luck and ability, it might be better to bring it to my indy, or are there any suggestions here?

Thanks for any insight or help!!

Old 06-13-2014, 02:47 PM
screwball
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

You can buy a cheapie tap and die set from Harbor Freight or nearly any discount tool place. If you don't do a lot of mechanical stuff it doesn't make sense to drop a bundle for expensive tools you will rarely use. Good Luck.

If you were close I'd loan you mine.

Old 06-13-2014, 05:10 PM
WRE4U
Road Master

Received 230 Likes on 130 Posts

Hey thanks Screewball....that's just what I did! The original bolt came out crooked, and that's the way it went back in. I did add a couple of more washers to help, and it did "take" so I'm back in business. The floorboards were moved out maybe 3/4 of an inch, I think I like the difference...too early to tell, but I know, so it will probably work for me.

Old 07-04-2016, 08:15 PM
Fury16
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Extended boards

Does anyone know if you are still able to stand on the boards when getting on and off with the DK extensions

Old 07-04-2016, 08:51 PM
Fearless (old nickname)
Road Master
Received 115 Likes on 103 Posts
Default Absolutely I do everytime

After external breather installed I stand on my foot boards to get on and off all the time.

Before external breather that space sure makes a difference

I have no issues with these spacers or bolts on Old Shiney I'm a solid 180# trave safely fearless

Old 07-05-2016, 05:53 PM
captbob
Tourer
Received 79 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Fury16
Does anyone know if you are still able to stand on the boards when getting on and off with the DK extensions
I dismount on my DK extensions all the time on my TGU and just lift one foot over the trike as I rest all of my 175 pounds on the one front extended floor board with my right hand on the handlebar for steadyness.