Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Hot tri glide

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2016, 11:34 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,993 Likes on 2,327 Posts

Originally Posted by Fozworth
I've got some work to do! I don't get why we don't feel the heat all the time? The exhaust is always hot but we don't always feel it. I got to tell you, when I felt the heat on that trip my first thought was the mechanic forgot to refill the crankcase with oil.

Anyway, I'm going to start at the top of your list and work my way down. I don't have a lift so I'm not sure how much of the work I can do and how much I'll need to pay someone else.

Question, do you think the stock tune is what let me down on the trip home in the 95 degree heat? Why did it dog out on me so bad? Have you heard of this happening before? Is it common?

Thanks again,

Brian
It takes about 1 hour of interstate speeds for the engine and all the metal to fully heat soak. The hotter the ambient temps, the less the air flowing past the engine cools down the engine. The difference in felt heat between 85 and 95 degrees is pretty significant.

Also, since our bodies run at about 98 degrees, when the air flow past us is warmer it does not cool us down.

When it is below 96* ambient temp, the faster we ride the more air flows over us and the cooler we feel...but when the air get the same or higher than our body temp, then the air flowing past us no longer is cooling us down, but actually feels hotter.

Even if the speed limit is 80 mph, if it is 100* outside, I will probably ride around 70 mph, cause at 80 the ambient air (not from the engine) just makes it feel hotter the faster we go.

Yes, the engine "******* out" is from it getting too hot. When engine temps hit around 270* the metal is expanding at different rates so much that it loses tolerances, resulting in a loss of power, and reduction of engine longevity. This is common with all 07-up Twin Cams, air-cooled or twin-cooled.

Adjusting the tune will help, but it will not solve the problem...the tune/air in (via the air cleaner) and air out (via the exhaust system) all work hand in hand to make the largest difference.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

The following users liked this post:
Fearless (old nickname) (06-12-2016)
Old 06-12-2016, 02:30 PM
Fozworth
Cruiser
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm not sure which tank lift to buy? Also will it change the seat position to use a tank lift?

Thanks

Old 06-12-2016, 03:03 PM
Oogie Wa Wa
Road Master
Received 389 Likes on 255 Posts

The wife normally doesn't have much of an issue with heat, and we've ridden plenty in very hot weather. But one thing she does notice; when the wind is strong from the left side it definitely tends to get hotter on her right side. The air comes out instead of going back and down. It's only with the wind from the left.

I've partially shut the vent on the left lower and fully opened the right lower, and pointed the right side fairing vent outwards to blow air in towards her, same for the left side to kick the air out, and that seemed to help a lot. You can really change things a lot just by fiddling around with those vents.

Fozworth (06-12-2016)
Old 06-13-2016, 04:32 AM
Fusionfool
Road Captain
Received 66 Likes on 53 Posts

I'm not sure which tank lift to buy? Also will it change the seat position to use a tank lift?

Thanks
there is a minor lift to the front of the seat if you go with the DELUXE OPTION.
There are bushings under the tank mount toward the seat. This change for me was a benefit as it gave more of a saddle fit, and I no longer felt as though I slide forward. You can of coarse go without the Deluxe option and just the tank lift. I have tried with and without, I prefer the Deluxe spacers. As stated for seat, and to open up more for the rear rocker box.

Fozworth (06-13-2016)
Old 06-13-2016, 07:12 PM
Fozworth
Cruiser

2.5 inch?

Old 06-13-2016, 08:32 PM
Fearless (old nickname)
Road Master
Received 115 Likes on 103 Posts
Thumbs up 2" for us

I choose the 2" deluxe version for our trike really seemed to help. I just recently added Air deflectors and I was amazed with the temperature reduction. My 09 fuel gage was off before and no better now. ride safely Fearless

Fozworth (06-13-2016)
Old 06-13-2016, 08:55 PM
Fozworth
Cruiser

Fearless,

Thanks a ton for the pics! It looks like you have everything Kevin has recommended.

I don't know for sure yet how to lose the cat. Did you change your pipes for a catless header?

Are you glad to have the Power Vision Tuner over having a Dealer put your trike on a Dyno?

Thanks again,

Brian

Old 06-13-2016, 09:09 PM
Fearless (old nickname)
Road Master
Received 115 Likes on 103 Posts

Fearless,

Thanks a ton for the pics! It looks like you have everything Kevin has recommended.

I don't know for sure yet how to lose the cat. Did you change your pipes for a catless header?

Are you glad to have the Power Vision Tuner over having a Dealer put your trike on a Dyno?

Thanks again,

Brian
You can get a decatted head pipe OEM on flea bay but given my choice I would go aftermarket. No dyno around me for miles forva trike PV does it all and more. Tuners are a personal choice .I like DynoJet Power vision. I have a OEM head pipe my is an 09 no cat.

Fozworth (06-13-2016)
Old 06-14-2016, 10:14 AM
Tryker Dude
Tourer
Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Fearless,

Thanks again,

Brian
Fozworth, check out on of my earlier posts with pics on removing cat yourself.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/tri-g...t-isses-2.html

The following 2 users liked this post by Tryker Dude:
Fearless (old nickname) (06-14-2016), Fozworth (06-14-2016)
Old 06-14-2016, 06:40 PM
BinIdaho
Stellar HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by screwball
Here, let me get back on my soap box again. First, the Cat is under your right foot. Unless you are burning the soul of your foot it probably isn't the Cat. Exhaust gas is around 1200* Even if you lowered it by 200* (pretty unlikely) you are still going to feel hot. Simplest, easiest, and cheapest way to stop burning your leg, MOVE YOUR LEG. If you want to drop a couple of grand for new exhaust, tuners, catless header pipes, cooling fans, wind deflectors, Go for it. The placebo effect of spending a whole bunch of money really helps in your leg feeling cooler. A friend and fellow Trike rider complained about the heat, and the fact he was constantly melting his boot on the pipe. Got floor board extenders (about $100) and both stopped.

Good Luck.
Yep, what Screwball said! All I did was remove cat and have SE tuner. Of course on a super hot day sitting at a long stop light will get a tad warm!

Fozworth (06-14-2016)

Quick Reply: Hot tri glide