Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

Best carb for shovelhead?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2017 | 10:06 AM
perki48
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy

Originally Posted by Uncle Larry
There were a lot of SU's back in the day ...
Yeh, and most of the negative comments are from those who ran one off of a British car. Not the ones modified and made for Harleys by Rivera.

Old 04-01-2017 | 12:32 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member

Originally Posted by U-234

What about one of these. I was at an auction last fall and part of the stuff came from a indy shop that has been closed for years. I got the Weber with the shovel and pan intakes as a set. I just couldn't pass them up. And I bought a box of parts that was mostly various intakes (most of them stock shovel). Box had two Sprint carbs that I have already sold on eBay. They paid for the box of parts and the Weber.
I have only seen Webers on Shovels/Pans in bike magazines from years ago.
Question is, "Do Webers work or are they just for show?"
Unless you had mad skills, a healthy spares supply and a big inch motor those were strictly bragging rights. NEVER saw one running right except at a drag strip, all the shops I knew of when they were popular wouldn't touch one if you brought a bike in with it.

S&S had dually based on the weber that lasted a couple years till it faded away, partner had one and we never got it right, too friggen complicated for a bike.

The following 2 users liked this post by TwiZted Biker:
perki48 (04-01-2017), U-234 (04-02-2017)
Old 04-01-2017 | 05:14 PM
monckywrench
Tourer

There's always someone who can persuade any carb to work. My metric is how much persuading I have to do.

I ran Super Bs with the accelerator pump bowl kits until I couldn't get real Bendix pump boots or find an aftermarket car boot ethanol wouldn't disintegrate and a better piston than the leather. Still have the B's rebuilt on the shelf and went with E's before stock Keihin CVs were offered.

Today on a stock Shovel I'd likely run a CV off a Branch Mikuni manifold if I had it to do over again and didn't have S&S as my standard.

Pre-CV Keihins were OK on stock engines if ya drill the low speed jet and install the Andrews accelerator pump cover with the check ball, but I wouldn't make any effort to get one.

Old 04-01-2017 | 05:18 PM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member

So after all this posting, I take it that the E is still the best all around for a shovel and probably even a Evo... I can live with that.....

Old 04-01-2017 | 05:46 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member

Originally Posted by 98hotrodfatboy
So after all this posting, I take it that the E is still the best all around for a shovel and probably even a Evo... I can live with that.....
Very hard to go wrong with an E on a shovel.

Old 04-01-2017 | 10:13 PM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
Very hard to go wrong with an E on a shovel.
,,,, and there you have it! :>)

Old 04-01-2017 | 11:29 PM
CRASH69
Tourer

Sorry late to the party....I got a Super E...

Old 04-02-2017 | 06:45 AM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by CRASH69
Sorry late to the party....I got a Super E...
You're never late with a Super E...... It's coll.....

Old 04-02-2017 | 06:59 AM
Hey Man
Seasoned HDF Member

Nothing wrong with the Super B carb. I ran one on my Shovelhead for about 25 years. When the main jet spout broke off on it I installed another B, this one with the SuperBowl (accelerator pump bowl) and ran it for a few more years.

After that I tried a few different carbs including dual Mikuni's and a Super E but none matched the performance of that Super B with the pumper bowl. The Super B is a kick-*** drag racing carburetor which is what it was made to be!

Old 04-02-2017 | 07:13 AM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Hey Man
Nothing wrong with the Super B carb. I ran one on my Shovelhead for about 25 years. When the main jet spout broke off on it I installed another B, this one with the SuperBowl (accelerator pump bowl) and ran it for a few more years.

After that I tried a few different carbs including dual Mikuni's and a Super E but none matched the performance of that Super B with the pumper bowl. The Super B is a kick-*** drag racing carburetor which is what it was made to be!
I have heard that from a few people, builders and racers included.....

Quick Reply: Best carb for shovelhead?