Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

3" open belt to 1.5"

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2013, 06:30 PM
bonesmutley
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3" open belt to 1.5"

hey there, i have an early 79 shovel with a 3" open belt kick only. id like to change it do 1.5" and was told i cant.

here is the back story,
i was getting longer fork tubes installed so i asked the guy to swap out the belt drive. he started doing it and said that my bike has an "early main shaft" which is shorter than what should be on it. now he was trying to also put on an inner and outer primary to make it closed.

all i want is to change the pulleys and belt and run a 1.5" belt.

does this make sense and can i just order the pulleys and belt and swap it out? or is the dude right?

i dont need to run a primary cover i just want a smaller belt.

thanks
bones

Old 11-09-2013, 01:22 AM
V_twins
Road Captain
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

I guess u need to buy the kit for the correct year combo... I don't see why you cannot do it...

Old 11-09-2013, 12:55 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 48,988 Likes on 17,898 Posts

Look up BDL beltdrives web site and do some reading , you can also make a call to their tech support and have a chat I'm sure you can get there without all the extra's

Old 11-09-2013, 02:38 PM
bonesmutley
Cruiser

I've emailed em. Thanks

Old 11-17-2013, 11:26 AM
bonesmutley
Cruiser

Update. I talked to bdl and they said a kit would work but I've also talked to a bunch of other knowledgable people that said no kit will work cause the shaft is to short, unless the tranny is offset it won't work. The shaft is from 37-64 and is not long enough to work with this job. So I have to swap the main shaft in order to get a 1-1/2 belt drive kit on.

Cheers

Old 11-17-2013, 12:12 PM
FilthyLucre
Road Master
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by bonesmutley
Update. I talked to bdl and they said a kit would work but I've also talked to a bunch of other knowledgable people that said no kit will work cause the shaft is to short, unless the tranny is offset it won't work. The shaft is from 37-64 and is not long enough to work with this job. So I have to swap the main shaft in order to get a 1-1/2 belt drive kit on.

Cheers
Swapping main shafts is no big deal. The factory manual is a good road map. If you have a 37-64 shaft an aluminum primary will not work without swapping the shaft anyway. I doubt that you do though. The longer 70 to 84 shaft was needed for the alternator offset unless your tranny was offset.

Old 11-17-2013, 12:15 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,848 Likes on 3,018 Posts

Originally Posted by bonesmutley

Cheers
you have a flat side Block ????? you can not have a 79 motor in what ever it is your driving - how is it the 3 inch worked do you have any pictures you can post

Old 11-17-2013, 12:48 PM
bonesmutley
Cruiser

I was told its a 37-64 shaft by a guy who attempted to change the pulleys. It didn't make sense to me. I'll put a pic up here.

http://townspooks.tumblr.com

Old 11-17-2013, 02:20 PM
bonesmutley
Cruiser

I guess I'll pull the main shaft to figure this out. Do I need to remove the tranny or can it be disassembled on the bike? I have the hd manual in PDF form.

Old 11-17-2013, 03:53 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,848 Likes on 3,018 Posts

you have a later engine you do not have and could not have on any bet a 37 to 64 sprocket shaft -- you need someone else -

first question - why not leave the 3 inch belt -- they work well -- look kool, and correct with with that sort of ride -

second a kit is available for that combo but will not be as reliable - it will cost you 5 / 6 hundred in parts and in the end you will want the other back -- having left leg shreaded jeans is a hallmark of the 3 inch belt --

Quick Reply: 3" open belt to 1.5"