Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

Brake Fluid Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2013, 09:26 AM
tennesseeguy
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake Fluid Question

I have searched and Googled until I am more confused than when I started.
I have a 1982 FXWG but the master cylinder has been changed and no marking on it anywhere I can see. I pulled a sample of the fluid out and compared it to DOT 5 which is what I would think it has in it but the color is different. In the picture the fluid from the bike is on the left and it looks yellow(ish)? and the DOT 5 (on the right) I just bought looks purple..I don't want to mix the fluids because I know of what that can cause..anyone have any ideas? I need to rebuild the master cylinder but want to add the right stuff back..thanks in advance and sorry if this is a stupid question, yes there are stupid questions
Larry

Attached Thumbnails Brake Fluid Question-100_0638.jpg  
Old 05-15-2013, 09:50 AM
seehogs
Advanced
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

The dot5 that comes in the bikes is yellow. The dot5
you and I can buy is purple to blue in color.
Take a little of both and mix them in a container.
If one is dot4 then they will not mix. Just do about
a teaspoon full of each.

Old 05-15-2013, 11:24 AM
tennesseeguy
Advanced

thanks seehogs!
I mixed the two and the fluid turned clear so I threw an 'O' ring in the container and I'll let it sit a while to make sure it doesn't eat the ring or turn to jell but makes sense that you are correct...thanks!

Old 05-15-2013, 07:26 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,841 Likes on 3,014 Posts

no that is not what happens - the brake fluid suspends and does not mix - the area that the two meet the metal corrodes ALLOY / and the steel spring rusts - and it forms grains of debris -- jz

Old 05-15-2013, 07:39 PM
HDs4me
Cruiser
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

All DOT5 is purple when it is new and it changes color to yellowish over time.

Old 05-15-2013, 08:20 PM
V_twins
Road Captain
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by HDs4me
All DOT5 is purple when it is new and it changes color to yellowish over time.
yep, that's exactly what happens... when I put it new is purple and when it's time to change it I see it's yello

Old 05-16-2013, 09:59 AM
carlgrover
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,267 Likes on 1,311 Posts

I would rebuild the caliper as well if I were doing a master cylinder. Clean the whole thing up real good and squirt a bunch of brake cleaner in the line and let it drip dry. Then you can use DOT 5 and will have worries about what might have been in it.

carl

Old 05-19-2013, 09:25 PM
piesik650
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Funny I Am in the exact same boat right now, my rear master cylinder says DOT 5 only. but the front has no markings at all I would hope that the front is the same. but I tend to over analyze things.

Old 05-21-2013, 06:12 PM
tennesseeguy
Advanced

I learned from this thread that the DOT5 in the bike is yellow and the DOT5 I bought was purple. I didn't know that LOL...
I did mix some and did a little test for a few days just to be safe. It seemed to mix together and never jelled so I went for it

Old 05-21-2013, 08:27 PM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 49,822 Likes on 19,322 Posts

Originally Posted by tennesseeguy
I have searched and Googled until I am more confused than when I started.
I have a 1982 FXWG but the master cylinder has been changed and no marking on it anywhere I can see. I pulled a sample of the fluid out and compared it to DOT 5 which is what I would think it has in it but the color is different. In the picture the fluid from the bike is on the left and it looks yellow(ish)? and the DOT 5 (on the right) I just bought looks purple..I don't want to mix the fluids because I know of what that can cause..anyone have any ideas? I need to rebuild the master cylinder but want to add the right stuff back..thanks in advance and sorry if this is a stupid question, yes there are stupid questions
Larry
Do yourself a favor and remove, flush and refill with clean, fresh brake fluid. Dot 5 is a excellent choice for your scooter as it is not equipped with A.B.S ( DOT 5 doesn't work well in an A.B.S. System ... it can/will foam under the repeated cycles ) Brake fluid is hygroscopic which means that it will absorb moisture from the atmosphere. The moisture is heavier than the brake fluid so it will ( sooner than later ) work it's way into the master and then down through the lines into the calipers. The moisture will cause several problems. It has a lower boiling point so it will evaporate as the brakes create heat. It will also cause corrosion in the bore of the master and calipers. DOT 5 WILL NOT absorb moisture so it is an excellent choice for the scooter that sits in the garage more than it gets ridden too.