Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

Dry or wet clutch?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2013, 12:16 PM
atc
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dry or wet clutch?

Hello, I have "inherited" a 1978 FLH. Not possible to ask the previous owner details, so I shall try here.

The bike has the primary oil feed blocked off. There is some oil in the primary ( less than 1/8" at bottom of primary cover - no oil came out when I tried to drain). How do I tell if this bike runs a dry clutch or wet clutch? - I understand that both are options. Bike has chain drive NOT belt.

If wet how much oil and is 50 weight OK?

Thanks for your time

A

Old 04-16-2013, 07:28 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 48,987 Likes on 17,898 Posts

Welcome to the forums .

You can use Dexron II AFT or regular MC primary oil , 50 will gum up the plates on you . Sit the bike level as you can like with a block of wood under the kickstand , pull the drain plug and run a wire up in hole to make sure it can drain , replace the plug and with the derby cover off pour in just enough oil to touch the bottom of the clutch pack maybe half QT or so . That's all it needs , the ring gear will fling the oil around enough for the chain to stay lubed but not soak into the clutch pack & plates .

Old 04-16-2013, 07:30 PM
biginchhustler
Road Master
Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

either transmission fluid (automotive) or bel-ray primary oil -- i use the bel-ray -- 1 cup of oil -- if its been a while i would remove the primary and replace the bearing and seal -- -- i use these clutch plates and have excellent results -- http://www.ebay.com/itm/CLUTCH-PLATE...r#ht_481wt_892 -- clean everything with brake part cleaner - inspect the chain shoe replace if it looks worn -- inspect the chain -- replace if needed -- also a good time to look at the engine seal -- a good aluminum pressure plate works wonders as it doesnt flex like the steel ones -- also have a look at the transmission sprocket -- check the teeth --

i use a a/c green "O" ring on the clutch push rod and replace the hub nut seal also.. i tap the old line holes out and put set screws in instead of just blocking the lines off --

check the condition of the big "O" ring that goes by the alt -- they have a bad habit of breaking the aluminum flange -- they make a repair kit but you can make a full size gasket yourself or use - loctite 5699 sealer its made for oil type situations..

Old 04-17-2013, 12:32 AM
FilthyLucre
Road Master
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

One of the problems of running an isolated primary is running low on oil. It only has to get low for a few miles and the adjuster shoe and chain are shot. In theory it is a good idea to isolate it from the motor but in reality it usually causes more repairs to the drive line. In a stock system the chain almost never wears and and I've gotten over a 100,000 miles on a primary chain. Before it was run over, my 72FLH was with me for 38 years and had in excess of 200,000 miles on it with only 2 primary chains and 3 adjuster shoes. The motor had 30 over pistons and the lower end was rebuilt twice. So I can't say running a stock oiling system hurt it. The secret is changing the oil every 1000 miles. If you run a sealed primary, check it before every ride. Oil is cheap compared to parts.