Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

trans ????

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2013, 08:38 PM
72monte
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default trans ????

hey everybody, new member here. i will try to be brief but thorough as possible. Last fall i bought a 79 lowrider from a friend. I love this bike. My problem with it is that neutral is very difficult to find. I have to upshift then lightly tap the peg down to get it. works about 40% of the time. I could live with it but id rather get it right. It is a 74ci, lowered front and rear, forward controls, 4 speed bike. My friend says he had gone through everything personally or had someone look at it. Any thoughts? Hub, cable adjustment, linkage, ?? Thanks in advance for any advice . Todd

Attached Thumbnails trans ????-sept-21-2012-htc-sync-373.jpg  
Old 04-03-2013, 10:18 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 48,989 Likes on 17,899 Posts

Welcome to the forums first off .

Could be a lot of things like sloppy linkage , adjustments , gummed up dragging clutch plates ,primary chain needs adjustment , ect . Need a bit info like hows the clutch acting ? Drag a bit when hot ? Lubed the cable lately ?

Old 04-04-2013, 05:35 AM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 20,169 Likes on 5,838 Posts

Originally Posted by 72monte
My friend says he had gone through everything personally or had someone look at it. Any thoughts? Hub, cable adjustment, linkage, ??

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
Could be a lot of things like sloppy linkage , adjustments , gummed up dragging clutch plates ,primary chain needs adjustment , ect . Need a bit info like hows the clutch acting ? Drag a bit when hot ? Lubed the cable lately ?

For some reason most people don't think the primary chain has anything to do with the clutch....so your friend might not have considered it. I find that most of the time, if the only problem is neutral is hard to find...the primary chain is too tight. The adjustment spec is 5/8 to 3/4 inch deflection at the tightest point in the chain when cold....nobody finds the tightest point in the chain...and they all shoot for 5/8...too loose is better than too tight...your mainshaft bearing will thank you.

Last edited by Tom84FXST; 04-04-2013 at 05:44 AM.
Old 04-04-2013, 08:14 AM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,855 Likes on 3,021 Posts

the shovel clutch basket has a thing it does that was never corrected by harley, and that is when you pull the clutch lever in the clutch hub moves outward to the left, and this in turn causes the clutch discs to slightly drag and that is most times the netural issue, that cant be fixed with normal adjustments < if this is the case with yours than they make a thing called a ( ram Jet ) its plastic and it replaces the springs that do not do the job they were intended to do on some machines - what it does it stops the hub from moving and that allows the discs more room for disengagement -- hope that helps - jz

Old 04-04-2013, 09:37 AM
carlgrover
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,273 Likes on 1,314 Posts

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
Welcome to the forums first off .

Lubed the cable lately ?

What should the clutch cable be lubed with?

Carl

Old 04-04-2013, 12:32 PM
FilthyLucre
Road Master
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

The cow patty transmissions used on 79's were notorious for this problem. A ratchet lid trany is much more positive. All of the above are good suggestions to check. The linkage on these transmissions get sloppy in record time and need constant adjustment and replacement.

Old 04-04-2013, 12:33 PM
FilthyLucre
Road Master
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by carlgrover

Carl
I use wheel bearing grease. Some people use chain lube or graphite.

Old 04-04-2013, 07:15 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 48,989 Likes on 17,899 Posts

Originally Posted by carlgrover

Carl
A number of products out for it but I like Dry Slide Bike aid . Hit any local jap bike place they can hook you up without the harley mark up . You should do all the cables at least once a season , more if you ride in a lot of rain or wet areas .

Old 04-04-2013, 07:52 PM
tennesseeguy
Advanced

I use this stuff to lube cables and works fine for me but that's just my opinion and a bit off topic from the origional question. +1 on what TwiZted said..local jap bike shop

Attached Thumbnails trans ????-100_0637.jpg  
Old 04-04-2013, 08:54 PM
72monte
Stage II

Originally Posted by johnjzjz
if this is the case with yours than they make a thing called a ( ram Jet ) its plastic and it replaces the springs that do not do the job they were intended to do on some machines -
thanks for the input. where can i find one of these?

Quick Reply: trans ????