Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

CV carb conversion- cable issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2012, 05:01 AM
haroldson
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CV carb conversion- cable issue

Hey, I just got a Keihin CV Carb to replace the original butterfly carb on an '84 FXSB which has apes on it. I got the manifold adapter and all was well until I tried to hook up the throttle and idle cables. The amount of exposed wire coming out of the housings seems to be backwards. The throttle wire is too short (or housing too long) and the idle wire may be too long. Can this be remedied by cutting the housing on the throttle cable and if so, by how much? I'd rather not have to buy new cables if it can be avoided. Thanks.

Old 11-25-2012, 07:20 AM
AlCherry
Road Warrior
Received 89 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by haroldson
Hey, I just got a Keihin CV Carb to replace the original butterfly carb on an '84 FXSB which has apes on it. I got the manifold adapter and all was well until I tried to hook up the throttle and idle cables. The amount of exposed wire coming out of the housings seems to be backwards. The throttle wire is too short (or housing too long) and the idle wire may be too long. Can this be remedied by cutting the housing on the throttle cable and if so, by how much? I'd rather not have to buy new cables if it can be avoided. Thanks.
Lets see if I got this right. You would rather not buy new cables to make things work right. Have you ever had a stuck throttle under full excelleration and the kitty litter coming at you in about 4 seconds? It'll make you want to buy new cables, if you survive.

Old 11-25-2012, 09:50 AM
berndog
Tourer

Trust Al on this one,,I did the same last spring,fortunately wasnt in gear,but yes,cable kept binding up where i would cut the housing,,,had to buy cables for a newer bike,the same year bike the carb came off,but I never replace the idle,as I just could not match it up for some reason.so I run with throttle and thats it.But what a tremendous difference in smooth idling and throttle response,best thing i did to that shovel,,put on cv carb

Old 11-25-2012, 07:25 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 48,433 Likes on 17,672 Posts

What's cheaper , new cables or your broken skinned up *** ? Go to any indy shop that deals with these new bikes they will have tons of stock pull off cables to had real cheap ................

Old 11-25-2012, 07:47 PM
haroldson
1st Gear

No problem, I'll go the new cable route if shortening the housing not something that's easily and safely done. I know a lot of people have done the conversion but didn't know if new cables were the way to go or if there was an easy fix.