Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

High Torque starter trouble

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2012, 02:26 PM
CHJ
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High Torque starter trouble

I have an 80 FXS, I have been having trouble with the electric start, brand new high torques starter/housing. About 70% of the time the starter engages and fires up no problem the other 30% is does not engage the clutch basket and spins off, I did no do the work on the starter housing/drive but it is new and should be installed correctly where should I start any suggestions. I have heard these suggestion so far

1) possibly the wrong inner primary (too thick)
2) maybe the wrong clutch basket

There is also a new starter solenoid and the bike kicks just fine, any suggestions should I buy the hitachi starter drive/housing rebuild kit or is it likely a different issue?

CHJ

Old 11-14-2012, 02:49 PM
V_twins
Road Captain
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

solenoid not working?

Old 11-14-2012, 04:28 PM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 19,950 Likes on 5,795 Posts

Hard to diagnose from someones description,but it sounds like your starter drive/clutch is going bad...not too expensive or hard to replace...the only problem is finding a quality one...lots of made in china crap out there.

http://www.buy.com/prod/new-harley-d...ngId=247231882

Old 11-14-2012, 07:16 PM
CHJ
3rd Gear

I think I'll start by checking the solenoid, I've tried two different ones, but am not sure the condition of either of them. I'll guess I'll move onto the entire starter/drive/housing rebuild kit after that.....

Old 11-21-2012, 07:40 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 48,982 Likes on 17,897 Posts

Your bendix gear is shot not the solenoid all that does is pull it in . When the bendix or starter clutch starts going bad it will do what your describing and make a hashing banging noise like it's not engaging . It is but the clutch rollers inside are hit & miss .

Spend the bucks and get a US made one don't waste you time on the $20 - $25 dollar import junk they will be gone in 6 months . Amazon has the All ***** bendix's for about $45 .

My bikes 93" @ just under 12-1 comp , it's rough on the starting system I've been all down the road your on a few times .

Last edited by TwiZted Biker; 11-21-2012 at 07:43 PM.
Old 11-21-2012, 07:44 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,571 Likes on 2,889 Posts

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
Your bendix gear is shot not the solenoid all that does is pull it in . When the bendix or starter clutch starts going bad it will do what your describing and make a hashing banging noise like it's not engaging . It is but the clutch rollers inside are hit & miss .

Spend the bucks and get a US made one don't waste you time on the $20 - $25 dollar import junk they will be gone in 6 months .
+1. Sprag clutch sounds bad.

Old 11-26-2012, 09:50 AM
CHJ
3rd Gear

I replaced the starter solenoid with a high performance one this weekend, that did not do the trick, the backside of the teeth on the clutchbasket are beat to hell, so I think the intermittent problem is happening, cause some of the teeth are better than others, I was using the kick shaft to turn the motor to try and get a better spot, does anyone know of where I should shop for a new clutch basket, I need the belt drive 8mm 1 1/2". Thanks

Old 11-26-2012, 09:57 AM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,571 Likes on 2,889 Posts

You can get just a ring gear and try replacing the starter clutch.

This is what it did to my ring gear.

Old 11-26-2012, 06:59 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 48,982 Likes on 17,897 Posts

Originally Posted by CHJ
I replaced the starter solenoid with a high performance one this weekend, that did not do the trick, the backside of the teeth on the clutchbasket are beat to hell, so I think the intermittent problem is happening, cause some of the teeth are better than others, I was using the kick shaft to turn the motor to try and get a better spot, does anyone know of where I should shop for a new clutch basket, I need the belt drive 8mm 1 1/2". Thanks
What brand is the belt drive ? Contact them the ring gears are all replaceable on belt systems you don't have to get a complete unit , just need to know who made it to get the right one .

Old 01-25-2013, 12:58 AM
CHJ
3rd Gear
Default Update

Well after removing the old clutch basket, no one could tell me what brand it was. I just ponied up the cash and got a whole new primary drive. I got the 8mm, 1.5" belt drive system from LTD. When I installed the new one, I noticed the starter drive does not have to kick out nearly as far as the old one. I believe my old man had the wrong year clutch basket on. I hit the start button, now and PLUM! fires right up. Thanks for all your suggestions.

Quick Reply: High Torque starter trouble