Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

Electronic Ignition Options for '79 FXE

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2012 | 07:52 PM
Acemon
|
Novice
Default Electronic Ignition Options for '79 FXE

I read the thread from aquadave and his ignition problems, but my ignition question is different.

My recently-purchased '79 FXE has the points/condenser ignition. I'd like to replace it and the coil with something modern. Any suggestions?

Of course, price is always a concern because the less I spend on the ignition the more beer I can by. The again, if I go the cheapest route, it might work crappy and I'd need more beer anyway to drown my sorrows.

Old 11-12-2012 | 06:27 PM
berndog
Tourer

personally,I would stick with the points,at least you can diagnose them on the side of the road,and also ,you gap em and set the timing right she will purr just as nice as any electronic.Just my opinion and experience though

Old 11-12-2012 | 06:37 PM
AlCherry
Road Warrior

I agree with Berndog. Keep it simple. Every auto parts store carries points and condensers fo six cylinder chevy's. You can set the points with a matchbook!

Old 11-12-2012 | 07:49 PM
Acemon
|
Novice

Well said. When I still had air-cooled VWs the points were easy to set and never failed me. Off to eBay for new points I go.

You guys rock.

Old 11-13-2012 | 02:38 AM
biginchhustler
Road Master
Old 11-13-2012 | 01:48 PM
JGordon
Advanced

I installed the points in my Knuckle to make sure everything worked like it should and then installed http://www.ebeyond2000.net/.

I have the points in the tool bag just in case.

Old 11-13-2012 | 05:50 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member

Decent Blue Streak points will last years in the average bike . Best thing you can do for it is a good bearing / stainless steel advance unit . Stock black ones are junk inside a year . Most bad running shovels come through my place the advance is shot .

Old 11-14-2012 | 12:05 AM
aquadave
Road Master

Personally I'm against points. I grew up with those pain in the *** parts. always carry a points file, feeler gauge. It changes the timing every time you adjust them and you're always adjusting them. They limit your RPMs. Get you a dual fire electronic system. and forget about messing with them again. I went with single fire because I have dual plug heads

Old 11-14-2012 | 08:41 AM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member

Originally Posted by aquadave
Personally I'm against points. I grew up with those pain in the *** parts. always carry a points file, feeler gauge. It changes the timing every time you adjust them and you're always adjusting them. They limit your RPMs. Get you a dual fire electronic system. and forget about messing with them again. I went with single fire because I have dual plug heads
You where screwing with the points constantly because of the crappy cheap advance unit , once I bite the bullet and put a decent on in a quality set of points would go a couple years easy and I'm talking 40,000 plus miles between changes . Old Shovel & pan guys where cheap asses and we both know it we always went the cheapest stuff we could get back then and the bike showed it .

I did go to the Dyna S single fire in later years when my motors got to the 88 & 93 inch range with dual plugged heads and again spent the bucks on a high end advance that will last , been running the same one now over 10 years .

Last edited by TwiZted Biker; 11-14-2012 at 08:44 AM.
Old 11-15-2012 | 08:29 AM
kink04fxd
Tourer

Crane HI-4. Set it and forget it.

Quick Reply: Electronic Ignition Options for '79 FXE