Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

Possible future shovelhead owner, questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2012, 08:32 AM
abi
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Possible future shovelhead owner, questions

I've owned several HDs but never a Shovel. I'm going to look at a 1983 FLH this weekend. Motor was supposidely rebuilt 1800 miles ago. The mileage on the bike is unknown, odometer was replaced during the motor rebuild. It's mostly original, doesn't look to ge hacked up by the pictures I've got.

Anything specific I should check out on the bike?

Any known problems with this year/model?

Any input is appreciated, Thanks.

Here's a picture

Attached Thumbnails Possible future shovelhead owner, questions-1983_hd.jpg  

Last edited by abi; 10-18-2012 at 09:00 AM.
Old 10-18-2012, 10:06 AM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,342 Likes on 1,518 Posts

Seat and paint not stock but looks clean. MoCo bought company back by 82 so you are out of the AMF years.

Find out who did the rebuild; ask to look at receipts. Motor rebuild can mean a lot of things from top end to a complete bottom/top.

Why was speedometer replaced? Does he still have the original?

Does he have tour-pak and windshield that would have come with all FLH models?

What about other components being replaced or rebuilt over the years....receipts for work done, parts replaced?

Honestly do not know of any problems for the 83 models. Second year for redesigned switch housing and second year for harder valve seats and springs due to EPA regs.

And you are looking at a bike design near the end of a long run

Last edited by panz4ever; 10-18-2012 at 10:14 AM.
Old 10-18-2012, 10:12 AM
abi
Tourer

Originally Posted by panz4ever
Seat and paint not stock but looks clean. MoCo bought company back by 82 so you are out of the AMF years.

Find out who did the rebuild; ask to look at receipts. Motor rebuild can mean a lot of things from top end to a complete bottom/top.

Why was speedometer replaced? Does he still have the original?

Does he have tour-pak and windshield that would have come with all FLH models?

What about other components being replaced or rebuilt over the years....receipts for work done, parts replaced?
It has been repainted. Hot Shot Motorworks in OH did the rebuild, both top and bottom. I'll check to see if the owner has any receipts. The tourpack and windshield are included but not on now. Don't know why the speedo was replaced.

Old 10-19-2012, 12:32 AM
sixty7flh
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

looks like it was done by a reputable shop? That is the best part. just go into it KNOWING it will be your love, but will require a decent amount of wrenchin and mney over the years... can't go wrong though. they just don't make em anymore! did ya ge it? I am just guessin by the little I know of it but for under 6 right?

Old 10-19-2012, 01:00 AM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by sixty7flh
...just go into it KNOWING it will be your love, but will require a decent amount of wrenchin and mney over the years... can't go wrong though. they just don't make em anymore! did ya ge it?
I would suggest that it is not about "decent amount of wrenching" but rather more frequent service checks as opposed to modern bikes.

And you are dead-to-right...'they just don't make 'em like that anymore!'

Old 10-19-2012, 09:39 AM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 49,822 Likes on 19,322 Posts

Originally Posted by panz4ever
I would suggest that it is not about "decent amount of wrenching" but rather more frequent service checks as opposed to modern bikes.

And you are dead-to-right...'they just don't make 'em like that anymore!'
"panz4ever" hit the nail right on the head ... "I would suggest that it is not about "decent amount of wrenching" but rather more frequent service checks as opposed to modern bikes" ... this is excellent advice ... Good Luck Brother!

Old 10-19-2012, 09:55 AM
abi
Tourer

Thanks for all the input. I'm going to look at it tomorrow. Hope the rains quits by then. I've got no problem with keeping up to date on the service. Been doing it for 20 years now. With 3 small kids I work on my bikes way more than I ride at this point in my life, it gets me out of the house, into my shop and keeps me sane. Never had a shovelhead or bags so this will be new, I like that. My dad still likes working on old machines so he'll like this, he hates new tech and computers, lol

Old 10-19-2012, 10:43 AM
j1mmy
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

man.. your making me miss my shovel. i held it together pretty good for the last year since i sold it.. a ride sure sounds good.
i rode a 72 for 13 years, i didn't do much more maintenance then i do on my 01 now.. didn't even have to change the oil on the shovel, just add some once and awhile.

Old 10-19-2012, 10:55 AM
abi
Tourer

Originally Posted by j1mmy
man.. your making me miss my shovel. i held it together pretty good for the last year since i sold it.. a ride sure sounds good.
i rode a 72 for 13 years, i didn't do much more maintenance then i do on my 01 now.. didn't even have to change the oil on the shovel, just add some once and awhile.

In regards to oil leaks. That seems like it's always been one of the knocks on older Harleys. Seeing as this has supposedly been rebuilt recently, would that have solved some of the leaks? What about the primary and trans, are those leaky as well? Just trying to get an idea of what to expect from people who have actuallly owned them.

Old 10-19-2012, 07:02 PM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member

Couple of things to keep in mind. Prior to 1965 HD operated on a constant loss system (for lack of better wording). Oil went fro the tank to the motor and depending on year/accessory an oil filter of some type. Some of that oil that went to the cases was siphoned off to feed the primary and rear chain (my 49 has no feed line for the rear chain). Once it lubed the chain there was a small hole on the inner primary that allowed the oil to drop on the ground...hence the terminolgy that HDs mark their spot. Rule of thumb was the spot should be no bigger than a 50-cent piece; otherwise you needed to adjust the chain-oiling screw on the oil pump.

In 1965 that changed with the last of the panheads and the first alunimum inner and outer that introduced the e-star on big twins (servi cars got e-start in 64). This 'sealed' system now siphoned oil back from the clutch back into the oil tank and cleaned it with an internal tank mounted filter. While it worked it probably wasn't the best of ideas and that was fixed for sure when the evos came around.

You see a lot of shovel owners who have blocked off the feed lines to the primary and set their machines up with a 'sealed'. Guess I am old school in that I figure as long as I am doing my regular 2500 mile services I will be okay. Running my 65 pan since 1970 that way and am running my 84 the same. Think it is personal preference. Aftermarket outer primary covers are probably the big reason that leaks occur in that area. More often than not ensuring the mating area is flat and using a high quality gasket keeps that from leaking.

Motors might seep in really hot conditions but should not leak.

Tranny seals around mainshaft will let you know quickly when they go south. Biggest pain is pulling off the outer/inner primary and starter unit in order to chage out a two-bit seal.

Only other issue with leaks are guys that strip out drain plugs below tranny or drain plug on bottom of outer primary and do not fix it properly but try some ghetto approach.

Last edited by panz4ever; 10-19-2012 at 07:07 PM.

Quick Reply: Possible future shovelhead owner, questions