Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

1979 FXS Clutch ?????

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2012, 09:21 AM
Little Marco
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1979 FXS Clutch ?????

First post I have early 1979 FXS Went to Quaker Steak the other night and stopped at a light and my clutch started lunging or whatever. I am running a belt drive primary with Barrnet 5 spring clutches. Thought maybe the cable stretched. Anyway just got into it cable is good tried adjusting and same thing. Took of the primary cover and pulled the clutch in a noticed the pressure plate will start to disengage then the whole clutch shell, hub and all will move out with it. Any idea what would cause this?

Old 10-17-2012, 10:37 AM
JGordon
Advanced
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Little Marco
First post I have early 1979 FXS Went to Quaker Steak the other night and stopped at a light and my clutch started lunging or whatever. I am running a belt drive primary with Barrnet 5 spring clutches. Thought maybe the cable stretched. Anyway just got into it cable is good tried adjusting and same thing. Took of the primary cover and pulled the clutch in a noticed the pressure plate will start to disengage then the whole clutch shell, hub and all will move out with it. Any idea what would cause this?
Check and make sure the clutch hub nut hasn't backed off (Left hand threads). You can take a look at everthing if that isn't the problem while
you have it that far torn down.

Good luck.

Old 10-20-2012, 09:53 PM
FilthyLucre
Road Master
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Definately sounds like the hub nut is loose. Check to see if the key is still in place when you have it down.

Old 10-21-2012, 08:33 AM
biginchhustler
Road Master
Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

the belt drive needs to have the hub bearings lubed from time to time-- what you described is EXACTLY what happens when they get dry -- the old grease dries out and it locks the bearing to hub -- ya also need the clutch tamer to keep that shell from wobbeling -- myself i use the long bearings -- and the tamer -- i can put the bike in gear and rarely hear that "bang" and i can take it out of gear at a light real easy -- i run the kevlar plates that have the grooves in them and i NEVER oil them like they suggest -- ruins them..

i also found that when the hub nut is off i put a green A/C "O" ring on the clutch shaft then when the hub nut is on i put another "O" ring on the shaft before i install the plates/steels/pressure plate -- make sure your outer primary is vented -- if not your gonna toast that belt --

Old 10-21-2012, 08:34 AM
biginchhustler
Road Master

also dont over grease the bearings -- i use militec 1 grease --

Old 10-21-2012, 08:41 AM
biginchhustler
Road Master

this is the one i use ---- http://www.ebay.com/itm/TAMER-STYLE-...dbf46e&vxp=mtr --

this is the long bearings --- http://www.ebay.com/itm/harley-david...9ff2cf&vxp=mtr ---

these are the clutch plates --- http://www.ebay.com/itm/CLUTCH-PLATE...91eaec&vxp=mtr ---

this is the other tamer --- http://www.ebay.com/itm/41-84-PANHEA...d6e5ef&vxp=mtr -- it can be made to work with a 5 finger hub --

Old 10-24-2012, 06:31 PM
Little Marco
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just got home yesterday from a deer hunting trip got it apart and the nut was loose clutches were and plates were glazed and pretty well shot just ordered a Revera Pro clutch setup the hub bearing was also dry I am running a vented Primary cover so just waiting for the parts Thanks guys