Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

4 speed tranny: 3rd gear issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2013, 06:25 AM
Wi_Duker
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by V_twins
UPDATE:

started disassembling the whole thing and I have an issue getting the mainshaft off.
I removed the plate with the 4 screws and with a soft mallet tried to drive the shaft out to ...but the lower gear hits the bearing race.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

From the manuals and articles I have the gear should also move out with the shaft.. or I got i wrong?

I looked at the 3/4 gear clutch fork.. it's worn and not straight/flat either. gotta get new ones

Last thing. Looked at the bottom of the case for the first time... well.. somebody messed with the tranny already... there's a bunch of JBweld or similar :S... nice surprice
I have not taken it out yet. Since I am going to rebuild the whole thing now, I guess it's worth repairing it now.
From looking inside, there seem to be no cracks... So I guess the hole is just stripped.
Thought about just leaving it like that scared to find a "bigger" surprise... :S

You can see finger prints on the JB weld. Take it to the cops a crime has been committed

Old 06-08-2013, 06:34 AM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,843 Likes on 3,014 Posts

Originally Posted by Wi_Duker
so what was the outcome of this as I am having the same issue on my 88 sporty
the 4 speed sporty is a completely different unit like your 1988 - no bushings in the gear set at all, the shift drum ( rotater ) has bushings

of all the later trans units to fix 1960s on the 4 speed sporty is the one you need experence, i could type it all out but you did not say what the issue was, if you put this in the iron head section Reason - the sporty 4 speed as almost identical from 1954 to 1990 , all the adjustments most of the gears, shift forks, countershaft and other stuff is all the same and still carry the original 1950s part numbers -- and lots of guys have done trans work in that section and can help - jz

Old 06-10-2013, 09:18 PM
Wi_Duker
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by johnjzjz
the 4 speed sporty is a completely different unit like your 1988 - no bushings in the gear set at all, the shift drum ( rotater ) has bushings

of all the later trans units to fix 1960s on the 4 speed sporty is the one you need experence, i could type it all out but you did not say what the issue was, if you put this in the iron head section Reason - the sporty 4 speed as almost identical from 1954 to 1990 , all the adjustments most of the gears, shift forks, countershaft and other stuff is all the same and still carry the original 1950s part numbers -- and lots of guys have done trans work in that section and can help - jz
I know what the issue is now. Broken tooth on 3rd gear main shaft
AND
The clutch basket needs to be replaced. The retainer ring groove is gone

Old 06-11-2013, 08:15 PM
V_twins
Road Captain
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

finally put everyting back together after few delays...
went for a 20 min ride today... all gears go up and down, no weird noises or behaviours so far.
The kickstart works
The only think... I feel a little "resistance" when kicking... (not my first kickstart bike, just in case you ask)