Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

lukas synthetic 50wt yes or no ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 11:31 PM
the canadian shovel
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lukas synthetic 50wt yes or no ?

82 shovel head 4 spd trans can i run lucus 50 wt synthetic in engine,trans and primary????? This bike is new to me and there are a few more simple things like this i may need to ask . thanks

Old 04-11-2012, 10:02 AM
mjrfd99
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,753 Likes on 1,115 Posts

I've only run 60 since new [1979 FX] and she's still going. I've heard synthetic is more likely to leak. Not making a statement, just heard. IMHO shovels leak easily enough already. LOL

Old 04-11-2012, 10:07 AM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,346 Likes on 1,520 Posts

Mind if I sorta join you in this query? Been running HD 60 in my shovel. About 5K since a rebuild at 63K. Wondering about shifting to Lucas or Amsoil.

Like you looking for pros and cons...

Old 04-11-2012, 11:40 AM
msgtarmor
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've a friend who burned up a perfectly good motor because he was convinced synthetic was the way to go on his 81 wg. Not sayin you cant run it, but he did alot of reading and research and made his decision based on what he read. What he didn't do was find one compatible to large displacement air cooled engines.
I dont personally know anything about Lucas oil but I have had no problems with HD 50 or 60 in engine, and Valvoline 80/90 in tranny. My primary is still factory so it oils off the engine oil supply (for now).
Anyway, choose carefully. It could cost alot more than an oil change!!!
my .02....
jim

Old 04-11-2012, 06:16 PM
the canadian shovel
Stage III

hey thanks for the input! ,,, gunna give lucas straight 50 wt a try, IN THE ENGINE AND PRIMARY and 80/90 in the trans, on the Primary topic i was told to use only primary oil, I WAS also told i could use 50 wt. So which is it? or does it even matter? THANKS AGAIN!!

Old 04-11-2012, 10:10 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 48,988 Likes on 17,898 Posts

Naw put it in the trans too the old service manuals called for 50wt same the motor . Stuff will work just a higher chance for leaks on older bikes with some miles on them . Synthetics wants OUT and it will find ways fast on a shovel or pan , they will start seeping and weeping all over .

Old 04-11-2012, 10:12 PM
msgtarmor
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dont think it matters that much. Some would argue that, but as long as the primary chain and clutch hub bearing are gettin some kind of lube.
BTW,I dont know you or your experience with shovelheads so at risk of sounding like a ***, are you certain you have a sealed primary? They dont come that way from the factory. Because if it isn't sealed you dont add any oil to it.
Not tryin to offend here just tryin to caution!!
jim

Old 04-11-2012, 11:59 PM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,346 Likes on 1,520 Posts

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
Naw put it in the trans too the old service manuals called for 50wt same the motor . Stuff will work just a higher chance for leaks on older bikes with some miles on them . Synthetics wants OUT and it will find ways fast on a shovel or pan , they will start seeping and weeping all over .
K....this is the second time I have heard about this, so probably not a good idea for older iron. So I will stay with my HD 60 wt oil.

Old 04-12-2012, 12:06 AM
the canadian shovel
Stage III

Hey no offence taken!! ya it has been changed over ,but thanks for watchin my back!!

Old 04-12-2012, 12:42 AM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 48,988 Likes on 17,898 Posts

Originally Posted by panz4ever
K....this is the second time I have heard about this, so probably not a good idea for older iron. So I will stay with my HD 60 wt oil.
My bike does not leak I can't abide it , tried synthetics and I swear within 500 miles it was bleeding more that my old lady from everywhere . Rocker boxes , base gasket's , oil pump gaskets & at the hose clamps ect . It's what synthetics are designed to do get into the small places fast and stay there . Brand new rebuild with everything tight & new I'd say ok things have come up a lot materials wise but older worn iron she's going to weep everywhere soon and you'll be finding the little puddles after a day or 2 of sitting .

Last edited by TwiZted Biker; 04-12-2012 at 11:56 AM.

Quick Reply: lukas synthetic 50wt yes or no ?