Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

value of a '66 FLH?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2012, 09:48 AM
volvocanadian
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default value of a '66 FLH?

hello,

new to the Shovelhead model; actually not quite new, but want to be. I ride a '66 Sportster XLH; pretty much stock after 4 years of returning it from 1988

now I have been looking at values of the '66 - '69 years and I know it is all over the place depending on what has been done to the bike.

I am looking for a relatively unmodified bike; not a bagger, not a hardtail

I have found a "rebuilt" one but it has a horseshoe oil tank with built in battery box, a Corbin or La PEra solo seat that sits low in the frame, a tear drop gas tank similar to the original and a slight rake in the front with a 21" wheel and a small fender (front end looks really open and airy, too much for my taste)

modern one piece bars and risers; non-hinged rear fender but looks to be pretty close to original size and shape, must make it harder to remove rear wheel

the paint is great, all black, but again not what I would prefer

I would want to start putting it back to looking more like a '60's bike rather than a late '80- early 90's

so my question is: is $6500 too much for a bike as described above? it is down from $7G but I figure I have another $2G to get it closer to the 60's with old tank, front end, gas tanks, old style seat, etc

here it is: http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-ViewAdLar...AdId=369610478 ; don't snap it up if it is a good price! LOL

thanks for any insights

Old 04-08-2012, 10:18 AM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,342 Likes on 1,518 Posts

Looking at your logo and the location of the bike I would assume it is in Canada? From everything I have seen Canadian prices are definitely more expensive than US prices. So it is probably not a bad price for up in your neck of the woods. Stateside I would say it is about a grand too much, but slabsides have their own market since they were only made from 66-69, so they tend to bring a bit more than cone shovels.

Obviously far from stock, but you do not want stock anyway.

What kind of shape is motor and tranny in? Any receipts for the work done?

Old 04-08-2012, 03:37 PM
volvocanadian
Novice

but I do want closer to stock that what this represents, I like the older look better than the 80's and 90's; what is wrong with stock?

I have not spoken to him yet, he will not respond to e-mails and the bike is 1.5 hours away.

will call after the weekend and find out what has been done and if there are receipts

but now I have a bench mark of what it might be worth

thanks

Old 04-08-2012, 06:50 PM
ShovelnTC
Intermediate

Value of these early bikes is significantly based on originality and completeness.

If you want things to be or at least look original then be prepared to spend a LOT on original bits that need to be changed.

The problem is that all available aftermarket stuff is cheap Asian BAD quality parts and anyone who is selling original parts know that they are well sought after so price them accordingly.

If you find problems with the motor or trans you will be spending lots of down time doing the work or will easily spend the bikes asking price again on a pro doing the work.

I suppose I am tending to be on the negative a touch at the moment but that's as I have just found a significant repair is needed on my Shovel motor and that's after already having spent bucket loads of cash and time working on it and a huge amount of down time.

Oh and from what you have described I would expect that you will spend WAAAAAY more than 2 grand getting things back to stock.

Have an expert check it out or buy it cheap!

Mark.

Last edited by ShovelnTC; 04-08-2012 at 06:53 PM.
Old 04-08-2012, 07:29 PM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by volvocanadian
but I do want closer to stock that what this represents, I like the older look better than the 80's and 90's; what is wrong with stock?
Absolutely nothing wrong with stock; it is my preference to get as close to stock as possbible.

The bike you posted will take a lot, a lot of money to get close to stock. About the only thing you can say from looking at the pics is that the frame (if date code matches), motor (registered as 66 so vin will prove that) tranny, and swing arm are OEM. The rest is definitely other than OEM for a 66 FLH.

You might want to keep looking for something a bit more original. Picked up my 84 FLH that is 99% original for the same price of the 66 you posted. Took me 18 months of constantly looking.

Just another thought. Log into www.shovelhead.us introduce yourself and tell the folks there what you are looking for. Couple of really sweet shovels have sold for the range you are looking at and they have been much closer to stock appearance than this.

Old 04-08-2012, 08:09 PM
ShovelnTC
Intermediate

I just looked at the pics as I missed the link when reading for the first time, that bike is really not much more than basket value if looking for an original style of bike.

Apart from the base frame, drive-train and a few other bits virtually everything else will need to be found.

This bike would be fine if that's the style you want but if looking for a stocker keep looking!!!

Old 04-08-2012, 08:55 PM
j1mmy
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

i think the price is pretty good for a slab side.. that bike is a lot more stock then it looks, fenders, fork tubes, seat and lights.. most of them parts are cheap and easily found on ebay.. i would find a hinge fender/tail light and a nice 4" softail headlight and ride it as is..looks like a fun bike.

Old 04-09-2012, 12:16 AM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by ShovelnTC
I just looked at the pics as I missed the link when reading for the first time, that bike is really not much more than basket value if looking for an original style of bike.

Apart from the base frame, drive-train and a few other bits virtually everything else will need to be found.

This bike would be fine if that's the style you want but if looking for a stocker keep looking!!!
Sorry but basket values are around 2-3K.... Hell you could part the bike in the OPs add and get more than that in the USA. Maybe in your neck of the woods (doubt it though but you can post some adds to prove otherwise and I will concede) but at the price offered/asked it is a pretty decent value for the asking price...just not the value for a close to stock slabside

Old 04-09-2012, 12:36 AM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member

Here ya go....same price but a better values as far as closer to stock...yeah 81 and not a slabside but still a good price

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/ws...940225602.html

Old 04-17-2012, 09:37 AM
ac72rat
Cruiser
Received 21 Likes on 7 Posts

real good price for a good running shifting 66, I ;like it the way it is. I have one similar ,buy it!

Quick Reply: value of a '66 FLH?