Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

My 79 FLH

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2012 | 02:04 PM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by rapp76
OK, so again, I am NOT trying to start so pissing match over oils but I was just on the Amsoil site, and call me dumb but are they only synthetics? From what I have read a lot of people use them but I don't think I want to run syn... Now what?
Yep only synthetic. There are other brands that are equally popular and also synthetic. Folks on old iron either swear by it or swear at it. Only reason I thought of switching is to lower temps of motor and reduce valve train noise.

I have been running HD 60 wt since I got into HD in the 60s; it was what my pop used in his bike as well.

Old 05-10-2012 | 03:08 PM
rapp76
|
Cruiser

Originally Posted by panz4ever
Yep only synthetic. There are other brands that are equally popular and also synthetic. Folks on old iron either swear by it or swear at it. Only reason I thought of switching is to lower temps of motor and reduce valve train noise.

I have been running HD 60 wt since I got into HD in the 60s; it was what my pop used in his bike as well.
Did you ever hear about guys saying after 500 miles with synthetic, their leaking oil from everywhere? Supposedly something to do with the older gaskets. I'm not for or against it and lower temps and quieter valve train sound great to me but I read stuff like that and wonder. And honestly I don't know enough about this stuff to decide. maybe one day I'll just run synthetic and see for myself how my bike likes it.

Old 06-29-2012 | 07:22 AM
rapp76
|
Cruiser

Well I am back after a little break. Thought I would show you guys how the bike looks done...

Attached Thumbnails My 79 FLH-harley.jpg   My 79 FLH-imag0589.jpg  
Old 06-29-2012 | 07:27 AM
rapp76
|
Cruiser

Back after a little break... Here are some shots of before and after its done.

Before...

After...

Old 06-29-2012 | 08:36 AM
biginchhustler
Road Master

Originally Posted by rapp76
So I don't want to beat a dead horse here on this forum but I have some lubrication questions... (roll eyes now). I want to change my fluids, I drained my oil tank and replaced the drop in filter. I read in the manual to pour in a quart of kerosene and mix it around to flush the crap out. Is this something i should do every oil change? And is draining the tank and rinsing it with kerosene all I have to do? It says to not worry about the oil left in the case or lines because its no more than 5 oz, but I have a cooler, will that make a difference? I am gonna run Amsoil 50w or 60w...

Is the primary lubricated from the engine oil? Or is that another fluid to change?

I cant find anything in the manual about changing the tranny fluid, except for when to do it. I see the fill hole but don't see a drain hole, although I am sure I missed it because I don't know what I am looking for? How much does it take to fill the tranny? I have seen anywhere from 12oz to 24 oz? Also seems like most say to use 80/90w gear lube? I took off the fill cover and it smelled like gear lube. A lot I read talked about "clunking" when put in to 1st gear which mine does too.

I hate to ask all these questions but when I get lost reading 10,000 threads on different forums I get even more confused about what should be used. This stuff seems so simple, but the more I read the more I realize some have turned it into rocket science... Thanks again
if ya really wanna protect that engine you will add one of those custom spin on filters -- the drop in ones do NOTHING as to filter the oil -- try to find the one that bolts to the kick stand bracket -- it uses the 77A filter and get an oil cooler

Old 06-29-2012 | 08:46 AM
biginchhustler
Road Master

no knock intended but i just cant see myself on a huge mardi gras float like that -- im 62 years old and i have been around the USA on harley's like the one im riding now -- i have a set of leather saddle bags but thats it -- if i wanted all that junk i would drive a car -- or a winnobago --- geezzeeeee

doubt that you care but read up on MILITEC 1 -- http://www.militec1.com/ -- 1 oz per qt --

Old 06-29-2012 | 08:49 AM
biginchhustler
Road Master

also i have run ULTIMA 60/70 wt oil forever -- its far,far better than any of the oils i have used or seen -- and i use ONLY the AUTOLITE XS 65 plugs ---

Old 06-29-2012 | 08:53 AM
biginchhustler
Road Master

Ultima Engine Oils have been specifically engineered to provide protection for all 4 Stroke Engines even in the most extreme tem- perature environments. Ultima Oils carry one of the best Anti wear packages available for maximum performance and longer engine life. All of our Premium Blend motor oils are produced using “severe hydro-cracked” low volatility base oils. This process pro- duces base oils that are as clear as water, provide high natural resistance to oxidation and thermal breakdown; resist sludge for- mation and combat corrosive acids from fuel combustion better than less expensive hydro-treated base oils. Straight weight Motor Oils are recommended for use in Engines where higher ambient temperatures are experienced and in older cast iron cylinder engines requiring high thermal stability. Exceeds all known motor- cycle manufacturers warranty requirements including API SF,SG,SH,SL and JASO MA and does not void new vehicle warranty. Check manufacturer’s recommendation for viscosity and change interval.
BENEFITS INCLUDE
• High Zinc additive resists wear and provides exceptional load carrying characteristics
• Resist high temperature oxidation and deposit formation
• Strong detergents keep engine cleaner

Old 06-29-2012 | 08:55 AM
biginchhustler
Road Master

sorry for the add plug -- its on ebay if interested -- no fancy names -- no ridiculous claims or images just an oil that works

Old 06-29-2012 | 09:19 AM
rapp76
|
Cruiser

Originally Posted by biginchhustler
no knock intended but i just cant see myself on a huge mardi gras float like that -- im 62 years old and i have been around the USA on harley's like the one im riding now -- i have a set of leather saddle bags but thats it -- if i wanted all that junk i would drive a car -- or a winnobago --- geezzeeeee

doubt that you care but read up on MILITEC 1 -- http://www.militec1.com/ -- 1 oz per qt --

One mans "junk" is another mans treasure... And I wouldn't be caught dead on your bike. That's what makes yours, yours, and mine, mine...

Quick Reply: My 79 FLH