Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

My 79 FLH

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2012 | 09:48 AM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member

Tour-pak on early models had two spring-loaded brackets on the underside of the pak that allowed the user to quickly remove the pak. At some point they also added a keyed lock for theft protection. Not sure when (what year) they discontinued that idea though. My 84 is secured by 4 bolts that go through the bottom of the tour-pak and bolt to 4 threaded inserts on the luggage rack itself.

It is factory stock and a bit of a pain in the backside to take on and off. Unless I am going on a trip I leave it off and just run with the hard bags.

Old 04-05-2012 | 03:22 PM
rapp76
|
Cruiser

I wonder if I don't have the right tp then... It doesn't seem to line up with anything. Also I noticed some pics on here of close to the same bike, their tp is curved where the backrest is and I believe mine is straight across...

Old 04-06-2012 | 08:05 AM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member

The only pic you posted of the bike is really small. Could you post a larger pic and just show the tour-pak and the mounts on the bottom. If it is square across the bike it could be an aftermarket one or an OEM one. Looking at an accessory catalog for 1977 shows a full-dress FLH with a tour-pak on it. It is real square and opens up from the rear and not the side.

Old 04-09-2012 | 05:56 PM
rapp76
|
Cruiser

I will try to post a pic but what you describe is what I have. It's square and opens from the back. It did have a Harley sticker on the lid so I think it's original just not sure if it was for my year. Also the keys open the saddle bags and tp. As far as mounting brackets I can try to show you what I have but it was never mounted since I owned it. The pic I posted was it just sitting on there. I think it has some "J" looking brackets or something that would hook on to the luggage rack, but then there is also a lock for a quick detach of some sort. The bike is all apart as of now getting all the body painted.

Old 04-10-2012 | 11:54 AM
rapp76
|
Cruiser

Here is another question, my clutch is really hard to pull and there is zero play i the lever? Also while ridding it doesn't feel like it completely disengages... The guy I got the bike from said the clutch was new. Is this an adjustment in the cable or am I gonna have to open up the cover???

Old 04-11-2012 | 09:56 AM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member

Old style clutches are probably not considered an "easy" pull when compared to newer HD or non-HD bikes. However zero end play is not correct at the lever. Should be about the thickness of a quarter.

Think I would pop the cover and check to make sure the adjusting nuts are correct for the plates, the clutch clutch pushrod is set and then take slack out of cable at lever end.

If you do not have the manual I can post the info for you on adjustment procedures.

Old 04-11-2012 | 10:05 AM
Jonas
Cruiser

You probally have the newer style four speed. There is a setup for the release lever that comes off the top of the transmission the clutch cable connects to. You will need a manual if you do not have one. p/n 99482-84

Old 04-11-2012 | 03:01 PM
rapp76
|
Cruiser
Talking

Panz, I got my hands on a manual but if you know an easier way...

PS.. Good stuff on the other thread! I love causing an uproar!

Originally Posted by panz4ever
Old style clutches are probably not considered an "easy" pull when compared to newer HD or non-HD bikes. However zero end play is not correct at the lever. Should be about the thickness of a quarter.

Think I would pop the cover and check to make sure the adjusting nuts are correct for the plates, the clutch clutch pushrod is set and then take slack out of cable at lever end.

If you do not have the manual I can post the info for you on adjustment procedures.

Old 04-11-2012 | 11:55 PM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by rapp76
Panz, I got my hands on a manual but if you know an easier way...

PS.. Good stuff on the other thread! I love causing an uproar!
Manual covers it best...and it is kinda funny to see some of these guys get their panties all bunched up!

Old 04-12-2012 | 08:23 AM
rapp76
|
Cruiser

I will check through everything I can with that manual. I have a week or so hopefully until I get my parts back from paint so I have time. Unless I will need to take it out for some test rides to check the adjustment, that will have to wait till I get her back together...

I didn't think I could get so many panties bunched up and I have a wife and 4 daughters!!!! LOL!!!

Quick Reply: My 79 FLH