Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

bad clutch or Tranny?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2012, 01:58 AM
pbsteve
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
Checked the sprocket yet ? If so time to pull the whole deal and inner primary and take a hard look .
Having a bit of an issue with the compensator nut at the moment... as soon as I kill my brother in law for losing half of my tools, and find a new inch and a half socket, I'll find out what the sprocket looks like.

Old 03-24-2012, 11:59 PM
pbsteve
Intermediate

Ok guys, I've failed at getting the compensator nut off, at least until I can get one of my friends good impact gun, even a breaker bar with a cheater bar didn't get it off, so Ill risk messing up the magnets, after all, I can replace that, but without getting the inner primary cover off, I can't get the bike running anyway.

So while I wait for that. I'm trying to think of what would go wrong that would allow the rear tire, and clutch hub to spin independantly of each other while in gear. I can spin them both opposite directions, with no grinding noise at all. I know I need to get in there to look around, but I have no idea what to look for at the moment.

I was thinking the half moon key might have sheered off the hub, would it be logical to assume that could be the issue, since the rear tire moving would move the transmission, but allow the hub to spin independently. if that's the case, it would explain why sometimes, when I spin the rear tire, the hub does move, but with one finger I can stop the hub.

Oh. and I did find something interesting, behind the shift lever, I found a bolt, a spacer, and a chunk of snapped off metal, it looks like cast metal, I assume something that was mounted somewhere... However this could have been from years ago, and a repair that was already taken care of, or from a modification... or who knows.

Old 03-25-2012, 11:49 PM
pbsteve
Intermediate

Just wanted to update you guys and thank you for all your help, The problem is the transmission. Its not fully going into gear, now to find out why.

Old 03-26-2012, 09:16 PM
pbsteve
Intermediate

ok. It appears that the middle shifter fork is stuck in place, and not moving freely on the shaft. by appears, I mean I can see **** all over the side, and when i move the fork, the whole shaft moves just a little bit. Any advice on cleaning it off, I don't want to use any chemicals that might destroy the seals.

Pic is full size, so here's the link

http://img444.imageshack.us/img444/6626/cimg0207f.jpg