Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

1984 FLH -- starter does not turn

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2012, 07:25 PM
mballard
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default 1984 FLH -- starter does not turn

just parked the new/old '84 FLH shovel head in the barn. I've ordered a manual, but I'm a bit anxious to figure out why this old classic will not turn over. The battery (per the prev owner is up), and the light do work, but when ya press the start switch , NOTHING. figured I'd see if voltage was getting to the solenoid, but dang, i can't even figure out how to get all that chrome out of the way to get to it....this is gonna be big fun !!
Please get me off on the right foot, and provide some guidance as to how this thing is wired, and the best trouble shooting steps to figure out why nothing works. I'm a bit slow, and do not have a lot of HD experience, so I'm likely to seem foolish, and ask some pretty stupid question. But i figure that's the best way to learn
I've used the old *****'s cj3b forum in the past and the experience and guidance was invaluable. I'm hoping that this forum is the same!
And then hopefully as I get my machine going, and gain some knowledge ,I can help the next guy.
thanks,
marion..

Old 03-16-2012, 10:56 PM
msgtarmor
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First, I'ld check the voltage on the battery to make sure it's sittin at 12 volts. Then, if that's good I would take the rubber cover off the starter solenoid and with the bike ready to start, (in neutral!) place a screwdriver between the two large copper posts on the end of the solenoid. I've started mine that way several times when the starter relay goes out. When it happened on the road, I've used a quarter instead of a screwdriver. Anyway, if it turns over then suspect the starter relay. If it doesn't then I would use your Harley motor manual to check for proper operation of your starter button and the starter solenoid.
And for what it's worth, a real Harley Service Manual is best.
Hope that helps!
jim

Old 03-17-2012, 07:29 AM
mballard
Advanced

thanks jim,, that;s exactly the push forward that i needed...
a place to start,,
factoy manual is on the way....
I'm hoping that it is pretty detailed, as my starter solenoid is covered up by a chrome shield, as i have an exhaust pipe out that left side, and for the life of me can't seem to figure out how to get all that chrome out of the way so i can get to the starter/solenoid.
any suggestions on that...
I know I'm not the first person who has needed to get to that solenoid.
advise would be appreciated.
thanks,
marion..

Old 03-17-2012, 10:06 AM
msgtarmor
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've never had a bagger with the shields. You'll just have to look under and around them to see where and how they mount. I'm guessing the left side chrome shield may be attached to the exhaust pipe with hose clamps. I dont think the motor manual will show all the chrome covers as alot of the ones I've seen are not factory equipment but rather aftermarket 'bling'! Another item I would definately recommend is a Harley parts catalog(published by HD) for your year and model of bike. It will show alot of detail with exploded views of everything on your bike not shown in the motor manual as well as OEM part numbers which is very helpfull at times. As you will soon find out, most HD dealerships aint got a clue when you come in asking for shovel parts or advise. Join a local ABATE chapter in your area and there will be some who will know of a good place to take your shovel for repairs you dont want to do.
If you're used to working on old cars and trucks you'll find working on your shovelhead will be similar with similar tools needed.
Good luck!
jim

Old 03-17-2012, 10:47 AM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,346 Likes on 1,520 Posts

What you are referring to is the heat shield that is mounted over the exhaust pipe coming out the left. Secured by two hose clamps. Once you completely undo the clamp you can pull the shield and have access to the solenoid.

Other thing you will probably have to do is to loosed the exhaust on that side in order to access more easily the bolts that secure the solenoid to the primary.

Old 03-18-2012, 03:53 PM
mballard
Advanced

appreciate all the recommendations/suggestions,,
I did manage to have a look this afternoon,
and found a loose/broken wire between the relay (on the bottom of the battery box, to ground),
fixed that and then got the familiar solenoid click.
i was feeling pretty good at that point, so just put a charger on the battery as the voltage fell way below 12 volts when it was trying to crank.
got a bit impatient, so jumped it from a known good battery, (voltage stayed solid above 12.5 while it tried to crank.).
however it still did not spin the big v-twin? it just clicks and groans..it is trying really hard to turn over..
so i removed that heat shield, and cleaned all three terminals on the solenoid, (cracked the plastic on the big one on the bottom while tightening it up,damit,...
but the motor will still not turn over?
but again, i had a solid 12.5 (which did not drop) as i tried to start it?
this just "FEELS" like a low voltage problem,, but it is not?
put a screwdriver between the two big terminals on the solenoid, and it spins
like crazy!
hmmm..
any ideas?

Old 03-18-2012, 04:10 PM
Captain Itch
Sponsor
Received 616 Likes on 332 Posts

Can you use a wiring diagram.I think this is the right one for you but ya may want to double check..
http://www.shovelhead.us/specs/wire/1980_83_FLHT.gif

Old 03-18-2012, 05:08 PM
Jonas
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"Spins like crazy", is that the starter motor or the engine? I was thinking you could not just jump across the two big posts. Becuase it needs more for the bendix to engage the ring gear.

You could have a bad starter relay, I believe that is the part you found the broken ground wire on. You could try to take a jumper wire from the battery 12volts, jumper it to the small terminal on the soliniod. This will eliminate, the starter realy, run/stop switch and the starter switch. Just be ready remove it if the bike starts.

A 1984 FLH is pretty rare could be a FLHX or a FLHP or a FLHS

Last edited by Jonas; 03-18-2012 at 06:10 PM.
Old 03-18-2012, 07:40 PM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,346 Likes on 1,520 Posts

K...now is the time to add a new starter relay, fix the cracked solenoid cover (or replace it...BTW how old are these components), and maybe think about a solid state battery rather than the acid drips every where one that was stock on 84 FLH models.

Quick test as Jonas added will get you in the ballpark. How long had the bike been sitting? Now is the time to take a look at all your wiring, check your stator and voltage regulator...better in the garage than on a long stretch of lonesome.

And Jonas I have an almost stock 84 FLH. Seems like MoCo made very few and pushed the others you had mentioned...

Old 03-18-2012, 07:58 PM
langwilliams
Elite HDF Member
Received 302 Likes on 274 Posts

On my 83 fxsb I got a relay from autozone for like 8-10 bucks that replaced the HD one an worked fine.

Quick Reply: 1984 FLH -- starter does not turn