Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

1984 FLH -- starter does not turn

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 10:14 AM
Jonas
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tjansen
I happen to be working with Marion on "our" first Shovel. If you guys have a list of parts suppliers that would be great. Solenoid and Batt cutoff are 2 things to start. Wireing harness for $150 GREAT. Where??? 28 year old contacts are a hazard.
05rkstd said do not crank with plugs out, Why. I used to do this with cars to test starter and get some oil around. I / we have a lot to learn , appreciate you guys. I was AE in USCG /aviation Electrician and 30 yrs with GTE so have great respect for what electricity can do.
Tom J
Denton, Tx.
94 FXLR
Do not know what model you have, but for Marion here is an example. They are nice and not bad to install(good to replace 30 year old wires). Better than pasting stuff together one wire at a time.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FOR-HARLEY-8...902ed0&vxp=mtr

Good luck on the bike.

Last edited by Jonas; 03-21-2012 at 10:16 AM.
Old 03-21-2012, 11:24 AM
Jonas
Cruiser
Default Soliniod Test Video

Picture worth 1000 words as the Chinese say. I was going to describe put this took a second.

Bike in Neutral (important)
Bike run/off in off, You could start you bike like this.

This elimminates starter relay, starter switch, All wirinng except heavy wire to battery, and to starter. Does not eliminate battery connections, make sure they are good.

If you have a good battery and good connections and do this test and the starter does not turn the engine over. You have a Bad Starter, Bad Soliniod/plunger, Dirty Connections, bad cables, or a mechnical alignment problem.

FYI - If you jumper across the two big terminals it is just going to spin the starter, not engage.

Before you start chasing soemthing that is not a problem

http://youtu.be/aAiJZNjKELE

Last edited by Jonas; 03-21-2012 at 11:27 AM.
Old 03-21-2012, 05:21 PM
ARBY
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

After a lot of years dickin' around with mechanical relays and electric solenoids I ditched them all in favor of this- a mechanically operated solenoid. Direct contact, guaranteed electricity every time.

Old 03-21-2012, 07:21 PM
Jonas
Cruiser

Originally Posted by ARBY
After a lot of years dickin' around with mechanical relays and electric solenoids I ditched them all in favor of this- a mechanically operated solenoid. Direct contact, guaranteed electricity every time.

Never saw that before.

Old 03-21-2012, 07:51 PM
05rkstd
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jonas
Never saw that before.
The same thing can be accomplished with an 003 feeler gauge. Drill it, bolt it, push it. As far as the "reinventing the wheel" comment..these things were barely adequate when new. You ain't had a shovel run away with a stuck starter...well you haven't spent a great deal of time working on shovels. Nothings really changed on an original barn find. Fast forward 27 years. Or more. Its the same bike. Anyway, I"m heading back to my usual forum. You guys have fun.

Old 03-22-2012, 05:40 AM
Jonas
Cruiser

Originally Posted by 05rkstd
The same thing can be accomplished with an 003 feeler gauge. Drill it, bolt it, push it. As far as the "reinventing the wheel" comment..these things were barely adequate when new. You ain't had a shovel run away with a stuck starter...well you haven't spent a great deal of time working on shovels. Nothings really changed on an original barn find. Fast forward 27 years. Or more. Its the same bike. Anyway, I"m heading back to my usual forum. You guys have fun.
You quoted the above on my comment "Never saw that before"

So a .003"(hair thickness) feeler gauge is going to physically push in the starter soliniod to make contact? Like the guys mechanical lever does in the picture. I would love to see that. Is the other site the David Blane site? J/K Joke ha ha

If your refering to the trouble shooting video of connecting the two terminals to start turn the starter. I had seen this one before, since I made the video.

Old 03-22-2012, 06:50 PM
05rkstd
Cruiser

You quoted the above on my comment "Never saw that before"

So a .003"(hair thickness) feeler gauge is going to physically push in the starter soliniod to make contact? Like the guys mechanical lever does in the picture. I would love to see that. Is the other site the David Blane site? J/K Joke ha ha

If your refering to the trouble shooting video of connecting the two terminals to start turn the starter. I had seen this one before, since I made the video.
No, you drill the feeler gauge out and mount it to the upper stud. Then, when you push it down it connects to the lower stud..connecting the circuit. And when you release it..it breaks the connection. You need a micrometer to measure human hair. .0067 to .0071 is the average depending on race and country of origin. .003 is pretty easy to feel and see. Not real sure who David Blane is? I spend most of my time working on old school bikes, so I may need to be enlightened. Or is he simply another jarhead like you? J/K ha ha

Old 03-22-2012, 08:21 PM
Jonas
Cruiser

No, you drill the feeler gauge out and mount it to the upper stud. Then, when you push it down it connects to the lower stud..connecting the circuit. And when you release it..it breaks the connection. You need a micrometer to measure human hair. .0067 to .0071 is the average depending on race and country of origin. .003 is pretty easy to feel and see. Not real sure who David Blane is? I spend most of my time working on old school bikes, so I may need to be enlightened. Or is he simply another jarhead like you? J/K ha ha
Ha, Ha, No he is a Majic Guy, Illusionsist, I probally did not spell it right.

I am in the Lasermicrometer Buisness, have been for 25 Years (scary). Anyhow, we measure wire down to .001" all day long, accuracy of .00002". My wife is a teacher, we did a study of hair diameter in her class. career day. Your off. more like .002" to .005". Regular piece of paper is about .004" thick, just a reference, you being an old timer bike guy surely know the thickness of a match book and what its used for.

RCH is a technical term, about .002130"

I knew what you ment about the feeler gauge, I was just messing with you.

I think this is thread drift, have a good one.

Old 03-22-2012, 08:50 PM
05rkstd
Cruiser

Ha, Ha, No he is a Majic Guy, Illusionsist, I probally did not spell it right.

I am in the Lasermicrometer Buisness, have been for 25 Years (scary). Anyhow, we measure wire down to .001" all day long, accuracy of .00002". My wife is a teacher, we did a study of hair diameter in her class. career day. Your off. more like .002" to .005". Regular piece of paper is about .004" thick, just a reference, you being an old timer bike guy surely know the thickness of a match book and what its used for.

RCH is a technical term, about .002130"

I knew what you ment about the feeler gauge, I was just messing with you.

I think this is thread drift, have a good one.
Red Cun* hair? Finest kind. I may have heard that once or twice lol. My friend, just search out hair diameter. It ain"t 002 or 005. Just saying. But anyway I appreciate you going back and forth with an old graybeard who"s bored. Peace.

Old 03-23-2012, 07:58 AM
Jonas
Cruiser

Red Cun* hair? Finest kind. I may have heard that once or twice lol. My friend, just search out hair diameter. It ain"t 002 or 005. Just saying. But anyway I appreciate you going back and forth with an old graybeard who"s bored. Peace.
I looked it up and I even found your reference.,

The diameter of human hair varies from 17 to 180 micrometers (0.00067 to 0.0071 in).

You just left a 0 out on the .00067(less than .001"). But mostly saw 40 -120 Microns(micron=micrometer), which is drum roll. .00157" to .00472". Fell free to double check.

Check these pictures out. I stole a piece of hair from my wifes hair brush. Something happened to my hair over the years. basically the hair just makes a shadow in the laserlight, that' is converted to a measurement.

Attached Thumbnails 1984 FLH -- starter does not turn-hairmeasurement.jpg   1984 FLH -- starter does not turn-hairmeasurement2.jpg  

Last edited by Jonas; 03-23-2012 at 09:51 AM.

Quick Reply: 1984 FLH -- starter does not turn