Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

Looking to buy a shovel

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 08:17 AM
mschuman88
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking to buy a shovel

Hi everyone, new post so bear with me.

I'm looking to buy a Harley. I want to spend around $5000, so I'm basically limited to either a sportster (not really interested) or an older model. I have been riding motorcycles all of my life from dirt to street, and I have been on harleys before. I am currently looking at two different FLH models from the 80's. One is a 1981 FLH and the other is a 1983. Both machines have not been bored and are still 80 ci. All numbers on the engines match the frames and titles and generally it looks like both models were cared for. I am going to look more closely at both of them this weekend but just want to get some more advice on what to look for and if a shovelhead is a good option.

I'm looking for a bike to ride to and from work (about 10 miles) and back to my hometown (about 65 miles). I do want something reliable. My question is how much wrenching should I expect if I buy a shovel? I know its not going to be like an evo or TC and I have worked on Pan's before with my dad (so i know a bit about engines) but what should I be expecting as far as ride-ability?

Also, I have read other posts on what to look for when buying a shovel, but what are some good indicators if the the bike will need some major work or will be a reliable machine. I know its hard to say without seeing it in person, but any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks a lot everyone!

Old 02-29-2012, 06:20 PM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,341 Likes on 1,518 Posts

I am sure that Twizted will pop in here and throw some good ideas, but are a couple of things to consider.

What is the overall appearance. Yeah it is older iron so it will have some wear marks but it should still be presentable.

Bike stock or customized? Does owner have original parts included in sale?

How many owners has the bike been through? For me the fewer the better.

Bike ever been dumped?

How many miles? Is speedo original?

Motor/tranny rebuilt? When, by whom, receipts, okay to contact builder?

Maintenance schedule (I have a binder with dates for all parts and work receipts, including work I do.)

Oil leaking everywhere is not good.

81 FLH was chain drive; 83 FLH was rear belt. Inspect both for wear, Replacing a rear chain is a piece of cake; rear belt replacement means having to drop the swing arm.

Inspect the wiring you can see. Rat job? Original? Lots of visible repairs?

Have the owner cold start it for you. Lot of bikes will start/run fine when hot, but can be a significant bitch when cold for various reasons.

As far as working on them..since you have done some pan work, just think of the shovel as an updated pan. And like a pan they are indeed reliable machinery, they just need a bit more maintenance than modern machines.

If ya get the chance post some pics. Good luck

Old 03-03-2012, 03:44 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 48,972 Likes on 17,894 Posts

Originally Posted by panz4ever
I am sure that Twizted will pop in here and throw some good ideas, but are a couple of things to consider.

What is the overall appearance. Yeah it is older iron so it will have some wear marks but it should still be presentable.

Bike stock or customized? Does owner have original parts included in sale?

How many owners has the bike been through? For me the fewer the better.

Bike ever been dumped?

How many miles? Is speedo original?

Motor/tranny rebuilt? When, by whom, receipts, okay to contact builder?

Maintenance schedule (I have a binder with dates for all parts and work receipts, including work I do.)

Oil leaking everywhere is not good.

81 FLH was chain drive; 83 FLH was rear belt. Inspect both for wear, Replacing a rear chain is a piece of cake; rear belt replacement means having to drop the swing arm.

Inspect the wiring you can see. Rat job? Original? Lots of visible repairs?

Have the owner cold start it for you. Lot of bikes will start/run fine when hot, but can be a significant bitch when cold for various reasons.

As far as working on them..since you have done some pan work, just think of the shovel as an updated pan. And like a pan they are indeed reliable machinery, they just need a bit more maintenance than modern machines.

If ya get the chance post some pics. Good luck
Sorry it took so long to drop in but I can't really add much to Panz's advice , he's been bike shopping recently so knows the game . Both those are decent machines if the flying monkeys haven't had at them but bear in mind , you will doing maintenance and minor repairs there's always something will need tweaking .

Done and taken care a shovel will give you years of solid service and they are hardy bikes they'll take enormous amounts of neglect and still roll .

One thing I like to do with older bikes take a long flat blade screw driver , pop the filler tube on the oil bag and scrape across the bottom of the bag once . Take a look at what's stuck on the blade when you pull it out , just mud with a bit of silver sheen to it ( normal ) or can you see chunks or feel any grit in it ? Not so good if you can means problems somewhere in the past or neglect , if so start asking questions and judge the guy talking is he the first or how many owners from the first ?

Last edited by TwiZted Biker; 03-03-2012 at 03:50 PM.
Old 03-07-2012, 07:12 AM
mschuman88
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys, appreciate the help. I'll keep that in mind when looking at them.

I also found an 82 and another 83 to look at so there are some options.

I'll post pictures when I get some.

Thanks,