Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

No juice to starter when i push button

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2011 | 06:37 PM
Harbri
|
Advanced
Default No juice to starter when i push button

I have no juice when i push my starter button,battery is up 13 volts,i checked the starter button by putting a screw driver to jump the wires, all there is is a little spark,when i put a screw driver on the solenoid by touching the 2 poles she starts right up. I have all so checked the wires that go swicth to termial in head lite, termial in head lite to small round backlite terminal under regulator, and wire that goes from there to solenoid. Thanks 1977 XLCH. Harbri

Old 11-19-2011 | 07:31 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member

Might want to post this over in the Sporty forum , best place for answers on one

Old 11-19-2011 | 07:32 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member

Should be a starter relay in the circuit if someone hasn't bypassed it. If they did bypass it the current required to pick up the solenoid will burn the start switch contacts as they aren't capable of carrying that much current.

Old 11-19-2011 | 07:35 PM
Harbri
|
Advanced

Where can i find the starter relay,and what does it look like

Old 11-19-2011 | 10:26 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member

No telling where it'll be on this bike since originally it was kickstart only. If it is using an original type relay it is essentially round and about 1-1/2 to 2 inches in diameter. There was also a rectangular version of the relay. It was mounted on the left side below the regulator. But, like I said, your bike (XLCH) was originally a kick-only bike, so the relay may be anywhere.

Old 11-19-2011 | 11:07 PM
Harbri
|
Advanced

Ok thanks i know where it is ,under the regulator i see it,now any way of testing it,multimeter etc. thanks for your help. Harbri

Old 11-20-2011 | 09:37 AM
megawatt
Road Warrior

Habri,
A quick check with a multimeter is to connect the positive lead of the multimeter to the small terminal on the starter relay and the negative lead of the multimeter to a good ground on the bike.
Make sure the transmission is in neutral, turn on the ignition key and push the start button.
See if you get voltage at the relay terminal. I don't know how much voltage drop is normal at that terminal but if it's very low and the engine does not crank, you can test the relay again by bypassing the start button by making a jumper wire and connecting one end of it to the battery positive terminal and touching the other end to that same small terminal on the starter relay. If the engine cranks you have proven that the starter relay is okay and that the problem is in the start button or one of it's wires or connections. If the engine does not crank, then there is a problem in the starter relay or one of it's wires or connections.
NOTE: The starter relay must be grounded. If it is one of the old round relays (Ford's used to use them) the body of the starter relay is mounted on a metal plate that is then used to mount it on the bike. That metal plate must have a good ground connection for the relay to operate.

Old 11-20-2011 | 09:37 AM
megawatt
Road Warrior

{EDIT} Deleting double post. What's up with that?!!

Last edited by megawatt; 11-20-2011 at 09:40 AM.
Old 11-20-2011 | 04:23 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member

Originally Posted by megawatt
{EDIT} Deleting double post. What's up with that?!!
Everytime they load a new bunch of banner ad's the forum get's squirly as a crack ***** I'm expecting it crash anytime now it's been getting like this all over and worse the last couple weeks .

Old 11-20-2011 | 10:19 PM
Harbri
|
Advanced

Thanks Megawat i will do these checks tomorrow, i have the round relay mounted to the bottom of the battery box,looks like its made out of bakelite material, if the relay is the cause what are my options? are they a special kind or can i use any reley,my location is costa rica ,i can not all ways find parts here.Thanks again Harbri.

Quick Reply: No juice to starter when i push button