Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

if buying a complete motor - which one?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2011, 09:01 PM
panheadache
Road Master
Received 829 Likes on 395 Posts
Default if buying a complete motor - which one?

Might pop for a complete aftermarket cone shovel motor for my stock 73 frame. I have no desire for a hotrod - I need an old-man's easy-to-start putt-putt motor. Lowest compression I can get is OK. Been out of it for a while, so how do these rate in terms of reliability, fitment into stock frame, etc. How would you stack them up and why? Any feedback or input greatly appreciated:

Jammer 88" Shovel
S&S 93" Shovel (sku No. 31-9904)
Ultima 96" Shovel (part no. 298-210)
VTwin 88" (part no. 10-2017)
Vtwin 80" (part no. 10-2001)

Thanks for any help. Panheadache

Old 11-07-2011, 10:13 PM
Panshovevo
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Go with the S&S low compression 93". You will find cheaper, but you won't find better. Their parts are American made, with the exception of some ignition components, which are built to order for them by an American company, but some are not made here.
In the long run, the extra cost will be worth it. Their warranty is excellent, their customer service is superb.
Fitment is not an issue on the '93.
Don't let the extra cubic inches scare you. YOU control the power. Your fuel mileage will depend on your riding habits, but I can say from experience that a big inch motor cruises so effortlessly that your mileage won't differ significantly from a stock 74"
I have no personal experience with the others, but there is a thread on Ultima motors on this forum. You might want to read it. A friend who is a V-Twin dealer warned me to stay away from V-Twin motors because of quality control issues. I don't know anything about the Jammer motors.
S&S has been running some sales on complete motors recently. I haven't seen anything on Shovels yet, but keep an eye on them. Alternatively, you might shop around for a small S&S dealer who hasn't met his minimum sales numbers for the year yet, and make a deal.

Last edited by Panshovevo; 11-08-2011 at 07:48 AM. Reason: More info
Old 11-08-2011, 07:24 PM
panheadache
Road Master

panshovevo, thanks for the input. i have not been building for about 5 yrs but i guess things have really have not changed that much - s&s is still the best way to go - but caviar $$$. i actually built a 93" pan in the 90's using a s&s 93" hot setup. it was hard to kick start then when i had a younger mans legs lol. i wish you could still get a low compression 74" from s&s.... i'll prob go w/the 93"... thanks again for your input...

Old 11-08-2011, 08:14 PM
Panshovevo
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Talk to S&S. I believe they will build a motor to your specs, within the limitations of the parts they sell. The mid-year update to the 2011 catalog announces that they have applied their Configure-To-Order program to complete engines.

Old 11-09-2011, 03:26 AM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 49,022 Likes on 17,919 Posts

S&S has gotten to big a head with there prices and I've gotten **** from them on a couple warranty issues too . While they are good , for an average reliable reasonable priced motor I'd look elsewhere to be honest they are up to almost $7000 now shovel & pan repo motors and I'm sorry fuc that .

Look into Ultima motor they are just as good they have a good no bullshit warranty and on stock or 88" motors they look good and are reliable plus they can be had under $5000 on sale and less for stock sizes .

If you want a stone tractor reliable everyday no nonsense rider don't go over 88" on a shovel that can be a 100,000 mile motor easy . Got 265,000 outa mine with one total R&R and 2 uppers so do the math .

Old 11-09-2011, 03:29 AM
JayStronghawk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 280 Likes on 215 Posts

Have to agree with S&S .. Will probably be the most expensive option but also the best and most dependable ..

Old 11-09-2011, 08:16 AM
panheadache
Road Master

Originally Posted by Panshovevo
Talk to S&S. I believe they will build a motor to your specs, within the limitations of the parts they sell. The mid-year update to the 2011 catalog announces that they have applied their Configure-To-Order program to complete engines.
I just called S&S and talked to a guy that verified yes, they are building "configure-to-order" and transferred me to lady to get the details (alright! a new S&S 74" shovel). Well, she said yes you can configure to order, but 93" is the only engine size for the shovel.

Last edited by panheadache; 11-09-2011 at 09:15 AM.
Old 11-09-2011, 04:30 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 49,022 Likes on 17,919 Posts

Originally Posted by panheadache
I just called S&S and talked to a guy that verified yes, they are building "configure-to-order" and transferred me to lady to get the details (alright! a new S&S 74" shovel). Well, she said yes you can configure to order, but 93" is the only engine size for the shovel.
Yah that's their band wagon Retro motor and the production lines are set to do those only . They don't hand build for each order they just set a a spec ticket out for a certain one that get's assigned to your order that's all the , They only do 93" because it would involve a different crank & stroke and the assembly isn't set for it . You can buy a kit and build it yourself or have them do for more $$$$$$ . Differences are dual plugged heads and the pistons used in the motors that's all between the regular and the HiPo versions of the 93" same everything else .

Do some more research before you jump the S&S wagon their several good motors out there that will give the same for less money . Just don't do anything Rev Tech avoid anything to do with them .

Old 11-17-2011, 10:35 PM
carbide
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ultima;s have the strongest cases

Old 11-17-2011, 10:47 PM
Shredding rubber
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Hey op. Twizted knows his **** when it comes to your bike. Unless you got your heart set on spending more money than you have to.

Quick Reply: if buying a complete motor - which one?