Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

78 shovelhead flh questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2011, 05:29 AM
RefineryHub
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 78 shovelhead flh questions

I have came across a stock 78 shovelhead for 4000 does this sound about right? I;m 220 lb and this will be my first bike is it a good pick? What should I check when I go look at the bike? what is a good website to order tanks fenders and bars from>?

Old 10-22-2011, 05:37 AM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,776 Likes on 3,153 Posts

No, as you are a newer rider you should probably find a newer bike with some later technology for reliability.

Plus you're going to learn on a bike whose parts are more difficult to find, to both repair and replace. Learn on a cheaper metric then find your first Harley.

Then send me the address of where this 78 FLH with 4,000 miles is...I'd be happy to take it off his hands!

Old 10-22-2011, 06:24 AM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 48,967 Likes on 17,892 Posts

Depends on how mechanically skilled you are and whether you can do the normal repairs and up keep old shovels need to stay reliable . Shovel can be a great bike but there are not a push the button and forget like later Evo's or twinkies they need they regular TLC do that and it'll treat you right don't and they can turn into a money pit fast for someone who doesn't have a clue . The price is right depending on the condition , need a little more info to really give you an opinion pictures would be a big plus .

Old 10-22-2011, 07:40 AM
Big Trev
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RefineryHub
I have came across a stock 78 shovelhead for 4000 does this sound about right? I;m 220 lb and this will be my first bike is it a good pick? What should I check when I go look at the bike? what is a good website to order tanks fenders and bars from>?
When I was looking for my first Harley 20 years ago, one dealer said don't buy a shovel you'll never buy another Harley, it turned out to be great advise.
Shovels can be OK once they have been sorted, but so many have been messed with by numpties.
After you've been on the Harley scene for a while,you'll become aware of the problems, you'll them be able to make an educated choice, as to whether you want to go down that road.

Old 10-22-2011, 05:31 PM
05rkstd
Cruiser

How can you make a decision on something having had no experience with it? And once he's in the Harley "Scene" he'll have a handle on it? Really?

Old 10-22-2011, 07:04 PM
RefineryHub
Novice

Newer bikes are to high priced for me. And I will ride nothing metric. I'm an American and I buy American. I have worked on cars for a few decades. For work i'm a boilermaker/welder/pipefitter . So getting dirty working on my bike I will love. Far as new technology I think it kills a bike. Main thing I dont like about the shovelhead flh is its not kickstart. I want an old panhead.... I love the sound of a bike and love the looks of OLD school blacked out stripped down HDs.

The following users liked this post:
Pichilingo (02-16-2020)
Old 10-22-2011, 09:23 PM
AlCherry
Road Warrior
Received 90 Likes on 51 Posts
Wink

RH, get the shovel. Don't listen to those other ********. If you can get through the shovel, you are on your way. The Shovel/Pan (they have a lot in common) is a love hate type of thing. It will give you a great understanding of how a Harley/Briggs$Stratton engine works!
In 20 years you will work your way up to a twin cam!

Old 10-23-2011, 08:10 PM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,339 Likes on 1,517 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Trev
When I was looking for my first Harley 20 years ago, one dealer said don't buy a shovel you'll never buy another Harley, it turned out to be great advise.
Shovels can be OK once they have been sorted, but so many have been messed with by numpties.
After you've been on the Harley scene for a while,you'll become aware of the problems, you'll them be able to make an educated choice, as to whether you want to go down that road.
Well you obviously missed the point....that is because once you buy a Shovel, you will never want anything newer!

Gotta love all you types that thrash old iron... I would suggest that once you SORT OUT your Twinkie it can be OK as well, but so many have been messed with by numpties (as in dealership mechanics that have no clue WTF they are doing as well as planned obsolescence by MoCo)

Old 10-23-2011, 08:16 PM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,339 Likes on 1,517 Posts

Originally Posted by RefineryHub
Newer bikes are to high priced for me. And I will ride nothing metric. I'm an American and I buy American. I have worked on cars for a few decades. For work i'm a boilermaker/welder/pipefitter . So getting dirty working on my bike I will love. Far as new technology I think it kills a bike. Main thing I dont like about the shovelhead flh is its not kickstart. I want an old panhead.... I love the sound of a bike and love the looks of OLD school blacked out stripped down HDs.
They sell kits to allow you to install kick start on Shovels. depending on the make you may have to modify your exhaust to accommodate the fitment but it will work.

Get your shovel and then add a pan!...or do it the other way around. You will not regret it....You definitely have the right background and mentality. My pop was a steamfitter/pipefitter for 43 years. Blue collar all the way and rode HDs and American cars (Fords but I am a Chevy man)

Old 10-23-2011, 08:26 PM
Captain Itch
Sponsor
Received 616 Likes on 332 Posts

I stole article this from article from another site ...Although the Evo has higher tolerances, the Shovelhead can be worked on in a home garage without the need for high tolerancing machine tools. In this respect, the Shovelhead is the last HD motor to be designed for the farm hand. You can wrench the whole thing yourself! (With a little experience.)

The following users liked this post:
Pichilingo (02-16-2020)

Quick Reply: 78 shovelhead flh questions