Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

78 shovelhead flh questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2011, 10:11 PM
RefineryHub
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think soon as I get back into town i'll buy my first bike. From what I seen online I will need to pack a few plugs and a file at all times. I met up with a biker the other day and was speaking to him. He is a patch holder from boozefighters was asking him about the shovel and an ironhead he said i'm to big for a sport that i need a big twin. Also said I might want to rethink the kick because ill end up blowing out my knee... I dont mind spending money on getting the bike right. I have 6k to spend on a bike. so 2k after I buy the shovel

Old 10-23-2011, 10:35 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 48,985 Likes on 17,897 Posts

Stay away from a sporty , your size you'd look like your running down the street with a taillight stuck in your *** . Your skills go for the shovel set up and running tight they are a thing of beauty . Don't be afraid of the kicker if the bike is tuned properly they'll fire first or second every time I'm 235 and my shovel is 93" running a hair under 12 to 1 compression I have to use the kicker , nothing like being a crowd and that puppy fires up the whole place looks like a gofer town with all the heads swiveling .

Last edited by TwiZted Biker; 11-03-2011 at 02:21 PM.
Old 10-24-2011, 09:43 AM
ULTRAMAN53
Advanced
Default 78 fxe

havent been pushing this but i did put it out there....page 10 of 'motorcycles for sale'.....lots of hits, not many replys. rode it two wk-ends ago with a bud who was on a 54. 55-60 mph, no hurry, great ride. old iron is fun.

Old 11-03-2011, 12:22 PM
cowboybob56
Tourer
Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
Thumbs up Kick start

Originally Posted by RefineryHub
I think soon as I get back into town i'll buy my first bike. From what I seen online I will need to pack a few plugs and a file at all times. I met up with a biker the other day and was speaking to him. He is a patch holder from boozefighters was asking him about the shovel and an ironhead he said i'm to big for a sport that i need a big twin. Also said I might want to rethink the kick because ill end up blowing out my knee... I dont mind spending money on getting the bike right. I have 6k to spend on a bike. so 2k after I buy the shovel
Unless it is a manly man witha kick start issue, compression releases have saved many a manly man's knee, with no one the wiser. course that may eat up that leftover $2K.

Old 11-03-2011, 02:26 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member

Originally Posted by RefineryHub
Been kick starting bikes with no releases for 40 yrs now and my knees are fine trick with a kicker is don't go after it like your stomping bugs like all the guys do for some reason , bring her up to the top of the stroke and just push it through don't throw your whole body into it that's what blows knees and it doesn't help a damn bit . If the bike is tuned right a stock 74 or 80 I can push through by hand and start it , it really is that simple .

Old 11-06-2011, 09:07 AM
RefineryHub
Novice

this job needs to be over so i can goo get my bike !!!

Old 11-06-2011, 10:20 AM
rickss69
Stellar HDF Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

Looking for a good FLH starter myself Refinery - JP Cycles is as good a place for most parts as any...quality parts for reasonable prices on most items.

Old 11-06-2011, 02:29 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member

Originally Posted by rickss69
Looking for a good FLH starter myself Refinery - JP Cycles is as good a place for most parts as any...quality parts for reasonable prices on most items.
Try these guys about all the stuff you can get for shovels anymore come from the same few sources , only differences are packaging and a huge swing in prices depending on the the seller . Been using their motor & tranny stuff for 30+ years and a lot of the house brands are no name but US made , the rest is decent qaul. import . Chrome is lower end but what isn't that's cheap today . Their prices I've yet to find better .

http://www.jirehcycles.com/

download the catalog and cruise the web store isn't user friendly at all .

Old 11-06-2011, 03:38 PM
Big Trev
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by panz4ever
Well you obviously missed the point....that is because once you buy a Shovel, you will never want anything newer!

Gotta love all you types that thrash old iron... I would suggest that once you SORT OUT your Twinkie it can be OK as well, but so many have been messed with by numpties (as in dealership mechanics that have no clue WTF they are doing as well as planned obsolescence by MoCo)
The OP asked
"this will be my first bike is it a good pick? "
This is my opinion,my twinkie is well sorted thank you, if you have a different opinion that's fine, but shouting in capitals is so comon

Old 11-06-2011, 03:42 PM
Big Trev
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AlCherry
In 20 years you will work your way up to a twin cam!
Only if he doesn't run out of money trying to keep it going!

Quick Reply: 78 shovelhead flh questions