Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

S&S super E trouble

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 11:45 PM
ROTTEN ROB
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Just for grins.. take off the vented gas cap and see if the gas flows.Did this happen before the carb was rebuilt?

Old 09-15-2011, 08:22 PM
Old Soul 76
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I have tried i can think of that should fix it... no luck

Yes, this happened once before the carb was rebuilt...

where i am as of now-
Fuel line and filter are clean
Fuel flows freely from line when diconnected from carb
Took the bowl off: float is set correctly, float and needle move freely
Overflow vent hole is not plugged
Fuel inlet fitting is not plugged

The only thing i have not tried yet, is taking off the petcock to see if the screen is dirty... it is the stock type and only about 1 year old... though the tanks are getting rusty inside and some gunk does make its way down to the glass fuel filter... but filter is clean now, and fuel flows out of petcock freely when disconnected from carb.

When i connect the fuel line from the petcock to the carb, then turn on the gas, fuel will fill up the fuel line and carb bowl. i then am able to start and run the bike for a lap down the road and back... then the bike will starve for gas and kill. now gas will not flow from the gas tank to the carb, unless i disconnect the fuel line from the carb, fill the line with gas, then i can start the bike again... for only a while.

Old 09-15-2011, 11:12 PM
ROTTEN ROB
Tourer

The reason I mentioned the vent cap, coming back from Fernwood she did the spit and cough bit ..out of gas.... popped the cap big ol hiss... Fired her back up ran for a few miles did it again, this time while riding popped cap ,left it cracked ,ran fine, got a new cap never did it again. It sounds like its creating a vacuum in the tank, and when you undue the fuel line it purges the tank and gas flows .

Old 09-18-2011, 10:30 AM
besibela
Intermediate

just for the hell of it, try and see if she runs better without the fuel filter installed... could be that (although it's clean) the filter restricts flow just enough so that the level in your float bowl can't keep up with what your engine needs to run.....

Old 10-12-2011, 02:06 PM
Old Soul 76
6th Gear

its not the gas caps not venting. still does it when caps are off.... could it be the float and needle need to be adjusted?

What happens is, if i let the bike sit still while running after about 5 to 10 minutes i look at my glass fuel filter and there will be no gas in the filter. Then the bike will either kill or if i stand the bike upright and jerk it back and forth then the glass fuel filter will slowly fill up...

i just put a new high flow Pingel fuel valve on the tank... it didnt help as much as i thought it would.

i think adjusting the float and needle is the next logical step???

Old 10-12-2011, 11:45 PM
Black Flag
Tourer

Hey 76,

I edited my post (#10 above) with a link to the S&S website.

Good Luck!

(B-D)>

Old 10-14-2011, 03:47 PM
ROTTEN ROB
Tourer

Got out the manual...Restriction in fuel,Gas cap vent plugged,needle and seat not working properly,foreign material in air or gas passageway in carb. Intermediate air bleed metering hole and main discharge air bleed metering hole. Use compressed air to clear holes. Don't leave us hangin so long,thought you were in the wind and had her fixed...........

Old 10-19-2011, 06:37 PM
Old Soul 76
6th Gear

Thanks guys, i still need to check the Intermediate air bleed metering hole and main discharge air bleed metering hole, and the Auxiliary Float Bowl Vent Plug. Though the carb was recently cleaned and rebuilt.... now i have another problem, a blown head gasket. Its bad enough that oil will spit out and onto my leg going down the highway. I think it has a compression problem because of the gasket. Does this make sense? Would a blown gasket effect the compression then effect the fuel flow from the gas tank to the carb?