Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

Draining oil from cases?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 05:19 PM
Mr. Wannabe
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Draining oil from cases?

My Shovel's oil pump check ball obviously isn't seated very well and likes to dump oil in the cases when it sits for a bit resulting in a huge oil spill when I kick it over. Anyone recall if there is a good way to drain the oil out of the cases prior to start-up after i fix it up? I know the Twinks have a plug on the bottom of the cases but for the life of me can't remember if the Shovel has one.

Old 07-19-2011, 05:38 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 49,066 Likes on 17,935 Posts

They don't have one but there is a cast boss where one could be put if someone was so inclined . I just kick an old cake pan under one if I know it's been sitting saves the clean up .

That check ball is an easy fix man . The ball on the end of stock evo pushrods is the same size exactly , cut one down with a tubing cutter and give it a few good taps with a hammer to round out the seat area again and either stretch the spring or get a new one . If you take the cover off the pump use some fine lapping compound and lap the seat a bit to do it right . I found a cheap bushing at the hardware store 3/8"ID x 1/2" OD beveled one edge a bit and it makes a great guide for doing the lap trick .

Old 07-19-2011, 05:43 PM
Mr. Wannabe
Road Captain

I had the pump off and resealed it recently so I hope I ain't gotta pull if off again. Don't have any extra pushrods laying around. I always just stuck a punch down the hole and used the ball that's in there to try and seat it. Only problem is that the cap don't want to loosen up to let me get in there. I'm gonna try to put an impact driver on and loosen it up without mangling the fugg out of it.

Last edited by Mr. Wannabe; 07-19-2011 at 05:48 PM.
Old 07-19-2011, 05:51 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member

Puts a flat on the ball , you can do them on the bike that port doesn't connect to any that goes in the case I just blow them out with with brake clean real well . Worse case if you've done the fix a few times and it doesn't work is another pump body , had several that just would not seal they were so thin or machined off side from the factory .

Good luck bro .

Old 07-19-2011, 05:56 PM
Mr. Wannabe
Road Captain

A brass drift helps keep from marring the ball. Now if I can just get the cap off.

Old 07-19-2011, 06:01 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member

Originally Posted by Mr. Rowdy
A brass drift helps keep from marring the ball. Now if I can just get the cap off.
I thought so too till a real hi tech meathead I know pulled out the mag scope and put the ball under it to make his point . Had to give him that one . Get a new ball & spring maybe ?

Old 07-19-2011, 06:04 PM
Mr. Wannabe
Road Captain

Yeah, might go that route. Gonna get a new cap and seal too because I'm gonna have to put the vice grips on to get it off.

Old 07-19-2011, 06:13 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member

Originally Posted by Mr. Rowdy
Yeah, might go that route. Gonna get a new cap and seal too because I'm gonna have to put the vice grips on to get it off.
Find a hex cap or the allen style shops got a odds & end box most times they'll let you into .

Last edited by TwiZted Biker; 07-19-2011 at 06:18 PM.
Old 07-19-2011, 06:14 PM
Mr. Wannabe
Road Captain

Just called my guy and he's out. Looked through his used **** and nuthin. We'll see how bad I mangle this 'un.

Old 07-19-2011, 06:19 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member

Sucks , I've got bunch sorry I can't help .

Quick Reply: Draining oil from cases?