Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

Starter just keeps on crankin

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2011, 09:56 AM
Hook Tender
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starter just keeps on crankin

OK, I just got the primary side back together. I installed a new Accel starter solenoid, wired it all up, installed the freshly charged battery, turn the key to 'ON' and pressed the starter button. She started cranking over just fine but when I let off on the start button, she just kept right on cranking. I quickly grabbed the starter relay and unplugged it but it didn't stop cranking. I then grabbed a socket and un-bolted the ground from the battery, that did the trick, (duh).

I have read some horror stories about these new Accel solenoids being made in China and a real peace of **** but the package this one came in said made in the good ole USA.

If any of you have any ideas about this crap drop me a line. Right now I suspect that the solenoid is self energizing internally once it's initiated by the relay which would mean the solenoid needs pulverized (or is it polarized?) Your thoughts?

Old 04-30-2011, 03:29 PM
oil leak
Advanced

Might be the solenoid return spring. Maybe worn out or jamed.

Old 04-30-2011, 05:14 PM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 20,184 Likes on 5,845 Posts

Originally Posted by Hook Tender
I suspect that the solenoid is self energizing internally once it's initiated by the relay

The start button sends power to the coil(which is basically a magnet) which pulls the plunger into the solenoid body. The solenoid is energized buy the plunger reaching the end of it's travel. When you release the starter button, any binding that keeps the plunger from returning to it's original position,will keep the solenoid energized. The problem is more than likely mechanical not electrical. Return spring as already mentioned....missing shims/spacers...bent/worn shift arm...aftermarket primary misalinment...etc..etc. Keep battery disconnected and remove outer primary. Make sure that plunger will move into solenoid by hand...and return to it's original position when you release it...if it doesn't reposition ,shim, replace worn parts till it does.

Old 04-30-2011, 05:27 PM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,818 Likes on 3,172 Posts

I had a shovel that would do that when the battery charge was low, like when I worked on it all night and used the battery on and off for testing purposes. Charged up it wouldn't happen.

Old 04-30-2011, 07:12 PM
75-HD
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Hook Tender,if you go to the next page of threads you will find a thread on the same prob. Starter keeps on cranking.Should help you out. For me on my 75 flh the fingers came out of the shifter collar on the starter shaft. Good luck!

Old 04-30-2011, 10:29 PM
Hook Tender
4th Gear
Default Starter thing

I just came back in from the shop and I have been playing with that dam solenoid for hours. I double checked the wireing schematic and I'm all good with that. I even cleaned up the old solenoid and put it on to try it and the same **** happens. When I put an ohm meter between the starter lug and the lug going to the relay (small one) I get infinite resistance. Total continuity (both solenoids). I can totally disconnect the green lead, short the battery lead to that pin and the starter engages. As the starter is cranking the hell out of the motor, I put a test light on the lug of the solenoid with the green wire disconnected and I have voltage showing. (self energizing)

Someone said it might be mechanical inside the cover and right now I think that's my next step. But I gotta tell ya, I'm seriously considering a lever action setup from Debrix. Either way the outer cover has to come back off. I may have screwed something up where the solenoid connects to the pinion lever I suppose but it seemed to function the way it's supposed to before I bolted the cover on.

I'll dive into the primary again and see what the hell is going on in there and when I find out I'll let ya'll know. Meanwhile, thanks for all the input fellas.

Old 05-02-2011, 02:19 PM
Hook Tender
4th Gear
Default Problem found

Well, I feel like two cents waiting for change right now but I pulled the primary cover back off and discovered that I didn't get the starter pinion shift fork in the right grove. Instead of having it so the little **** are in the groved ring, they were between the ring and the pinion clutch. That wouldn't allow the shift fork to move far enough back to let the solenoid dissengage. Anyhow, that's fixed.

Thanks for the tips.

Old 06-01-2011, 09:10 AM
hobobiker
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

For what it's worth, Shovels with electric starters have a knack for doing this at the most inopportune times and for a few different reasons. Because of this, a lot of guys (myself included) have installed "cutout switches" on our bikes that basically are a quick disconnect of the main power going from the battery to the starter solinoid. Beats the heck out of watching your bike burn up it's starter or trying to find a screwdriver to disconnect the battery in the middle of the local hangout's parking lot. (Don't ask me how I know...)