Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

got no spark

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 07:07 AM
d_slat
Road Warrior
Received 637 Likes on 325 Posts

Like twisted said, they had problems with the pickup sensor for the stock electronic ignitions. Would be a good place to start.

Old 04-12-2011, 03:10 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 49,042 Likes on 17,930 Posts

Seeing a bike with the stock ign. in it today is RARE that was the first thing most owners tossed with a late shovel .

Old 04-12-2011, 04:19 PM
TOMMY1969
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well,I believe ,because I charged the new battery again
That maybe,the starter is drawing all my currentfrom my battery,it should crank
More than a few timesbefore the battery goes low again.started right up on a full charge
Idled good,reved up once ,ok,got on it twisted the throttle,coughed a lil,then died
Started back up ran for a sec,died,no spark,battery real low,it cranks real slow ,and it starter jumps out quite a bit,think I'm just gonna break down ant start with the starter,relay,selinod,clean and or replace...then go to the coil,cd
i.what y'all think? Thanks for ur time

Old 04-12-2011, 04:28 PM
TOMMY1969
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got about 3200.00 in it so far

Old 04-12-2011, 04:42 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 49,042 Likes on 17,930 Posts

Start with cables and connection points , take them loose get a good clean shiny metal contact and the like . Battery cables can corrode up inside the cover where you can't see it , just an FYI . If the system is dragging down that fast something obvious has to be going on and low voltage will cause the ign. to drop out like that . Without being there I can't really help much bro sorry .

Another place to look would be the circuit breakers , a flaky one can drive you nuts chasing it like your doing . They are cheap and they do get weak with age , had more than a few on the mid to late yr shovels go bad .

Last edited by TwiZted Biker; 04-12-2011 at 04:46 PM.
Old 04-12-2011, 05:20 PM
JohnnyC
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Don't crank on your starter for endless sessions, they heat up and should only be operated for a few revelations and then released. You can damage a lot by cranking for long periods when trying to get it to fire. Cranking until the new battery is going dead is bad.

If it's slowly cranking on a fresh, fully charged and checked battery you may have a worn starter that is killing the battery and not spinning the motor fast enough to fire. It could be the issue.

Next, When you do get it to turn over on a charged battery pull a spark plug boot and look for a spark to ground to see if you are getting any spark out of the ignition system. Do it carefully so you don't get a jolt while looking for spark. Don't be around any flammable vapors!!!

A low battery turning the starter too slowly has two negative effects. First if it doesn't spin fast enough to get the motor started you'll never get it to run. And low voltage to the ignition system while cranking the starter keeps it from sparking correctly, or at all.

I have experienced odd stalling when there is an intermittent issue with any of the ignition parts. You have a circuit breaker, points or a cam/crank sensor, the main module and the coil. I fixed everything from the least expensive to the most and wouldn't you know it the Ignition Module upgrade cured the problem, it was the most expensive part too. But the aftermarket module out performs stock and now my entire ignition system is new, and reliable.

Also if you get the air cleaner off check the carb for gas inside. Twist the throttle once or twice while looking in and see if gas spurts from the accelerator pump inside the carb ... you'll see it. If so you'll know that gas is getting that far, even if the bike still isn't running right.

Don't jump into throwing parts at it ... checking it step by step should narrow down the issue. Once you know for sure what is wrong, then you can address resolving the issue.

Keep us up on how it's going...