Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

dry primary leaking

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2010 | 10:12 AM
1bad79fx
|
Stage IV
Post dry primary leaking

i own a 79 fxs superglide that was converted to both primary and secondary belt drive, problem is its leakin oil on back side at rear of primary cover, the primary drain plug is left in it, and it will spot about the size of an apple after a ride if i let it sit for an hour and stand bike up straight within mins its puddled up. im told the oil line that supplies the slinging is plugged and there is a rubber plug on a line. but i actually dont know what im lookin at so im takin ppls word for it. if it is plugged off where can the oil be coming from? and how is it leaking out if the drain plug is still in? also my primary is stock and not vented, is it necessary to buy vented derby cover and inspection plate for a belt drive. any 411 greatly appreciated, thanx

Old 11-28-2010 | 11:39 AM
langwilliams
Elite HDF Member

I think you are experiencing what I have an that's a bad mainshaft seal. I just pulled my trans. The main shaft bushing has too much play. The shaft wobbles a little an distorts the seal. I just got the replacement bushing, next is to have the old one pressed out the shaft micro polished an the new one machined to fit. I also ordered a spacer that goes on the outside of the shaft between the trans case an sprocket with an "O" ring to help prevent future leaks.

Old 11-28-2010 | 11:49 AM
langwilliams
Elite HDF Member
Old 11-28-2010 | 01:31 PM
sqdealgeorge
Road Warrior

About venting the primary With a belt drive primary what I do is put 1/4 in spacers between the inspection/derby cover and the outer prim to get air flow inside the primary Keeps the heat down That oil coming through the drain plug could it be coming from the back of the inner primary ? One more question do you have an idle on the primary belt and if not how much up and down play does this prim belt have in the middle Just curious

Old 11-28-2010 | 03:12 PM
J. Klarich
Intermediate

Venting a belt drive always a good deal

Old 11-28-2010 | 03:42 PM
langwilliams
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by J. Klarich
Venting a belt drive always a good deal
the previous owner of my belt drive put a vented chrome cover on it. Looks nice an helps extent belt life.

Old 12-03-2010 | 04:18 PM
1bad79fx
|
Stage IV

Originally Posted by langwilliams
I think you are experiencing what I have an that's a bad mainshaft seal. I just pulled my trans. The main shaft bushing has too much play. The shaft wobbles a little an distorts the seal. I just got the replacement bushing, next is to have the old one pressed out the shaft micro polished an the new one machined to fit. I also ordered a spacer that goes on the outside of the shaft between the trans case an sprocket with an "O" ring to help prevent future leaks.
thanx for the info, but i recently changed oil and trans and i feel like the fluid on floor is oil, but i havent had the primary off yet im just goin by the look of it its a bit dirtier than the trans fluid looks.

Old 12-03-2010 | 04:19 PM
1bad79fx
|
Stage IV

thanx for the info

Old 12-03-2010 | 04:24 PM
1bad79fx
|
Stage IV

thanx for the info, i havent had primary off yet but yes the oil is coming from the back off inner primary and the primary drain plug is still intact, do you know how i can distinguish 60wt oil from 80/90 wt gear oil i jus changed both at same time and have ridden it since but the fluid on floor loos too dark for the 80/90, oh yeah i did crank it and let it warm up good as to check the oil level when at operating temp so i was thinkin the oil never being all the way sucked out would leave enuf old oil to discolor the new, which would point me to the front of the primary for the leak? am i rite?, i guess i need to pull cover off and inspect closer

Old 12-03-2010 | 09:56 PM
langwilliams
Elite HDF Member

keep an eye on the trans fluid an if it's not going down you should be good. You don't want to do this repair LOL.

Quick Reply: dry primary leaking