Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

Charging Issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 06:41 AM
Squidley
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Charging Issue

Hey Folks,

Having issues with my '79 FLH, not charging right now, actually just kinda puked all at once. Installed a new battery, as it needed one anyhow, and properly charged it up over a 10 hour period. Fired her up and only have the battery voltage of 12.3 with it drawing a bit to keep it running.

I'm inclined to believe that the voltage reg died as I have never seen a stator just completely crap out like this. My question is what do you folks recommend as a good upgrade regulator for this bike. I plan on going through it in the near future, but would like to get it back on the road for a while before I do so. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 08-31-2010, 08:24 AM
frog13
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

I have seen stators crap out in an instant, don't rule that out just yet. First, check your connections for the regulator on the stator plug. Make sure it's clean, no oil and making good contact. With a volt meter on the battery and the bike running, up the rpms a bit to about 2500. If the charging system is working, you should see the voltage go up. Depending on which alternator you have this could be very small up to about a 2V increase. If nothing is happening it's the stator or regulator. You can run the bike with the regulator unplugged and check the AC voltage coming from the pins on the stator. I am not positive without looking in the book, but I believe it is supposed to be 32V AC, the key here is to set your meter on AC not DC. If you have the voltage here, replace the regulator, should be good to go. If you don't have the voltage, off with the primary, it's stator time. If you end up going into the primary for the stator, this is a good time to put in a high output charging system if it doesn't already have one.

Old 08-31-2010, 09:17 AM
sqdealgeorge
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Move to a 32 amp system If your rotor is still in good shape all you need is the stator and regulator The 2 prong plug on a 32 amp stator comes through the case hole and sticks out for a much better connection for the reg

Old 09-02-2010, 03:56 PM
Squidley
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Frog and George, appreciate the input and as soon as I can get a bit more room in the garage I am going to take it apart to check it out. It's stock as far as I know with the stator and I am hoping not to have to all apart, but if thats the case then obviously I will go bigger....Thanks again Fellas.

Old 09-10-2010, 01:26 PM
ARBY
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Before you go tearing into the stator it's probably the regulator. Vibration is a real killer. Probably something simple like the wires shaking around just enough to rub through, short out and POP. All done.

I've had my '77 for 30 years and never change a stator. Can't say the same for regulators though! Check the batt with a volt meter. If voltage doesn't increase when you rev replace the regulator.

Old 09-11-2010, 02:32 AM
IronGear
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ARBY
Before you go tearing into the stator it's probably the regulator. Vibration is a real killer. Probably something simple like the wires shaking around just enough to rub through, short out and POP. All done.

I've had my '77 for 30 years and never change a stator. Can't say the same for regulators though! Check the batt with a volt meter. If voltage doesn't increase when you rev replace the regulator.
Worst advice ever.
Good way to blow your cash is by connecting a regulator to a faulty stator.
Partially damaged stators kill regulators all the time, leading to a dynamic where some go through many regulators, somehow believing the stator was/is good throughout. It may be, BUT IT MAY NOT.
DO NOT REPLACE THE REGULATOR ON THE BASIS ON A BATTERY VOLTAGE CHECK ONLY.
You would be insane to do so.
And if someone tries to advise you to adopt that behaviour, DO NOT LISTEN. They are not your friend.