Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

75 shovel sumping oil

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2010, 10:11 AM
dmills
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 75 shovel sumping oil

I have a problem with my shovel sumping oil. I have done everything I can think of to stop it like reseating the check ball in the oil pump lengthening the spring for more tension, all the oil lines are on correct breather lines are open. the cam and lower end breather is in time. i have checked the gaskets on the oil pump and timing cover. it still leaks about a quart in about 60 miles.

Old 08-27-2010, 11:57 AM
shovelheadgreg
Advanced
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I found out the hard way that I had the same problem and go to http://www.bigboyzheadporting.com/showthread.php?t=87 for the ONLY thing that corrected my issue. Take your time, read the article and then find an EVO push rod that is the exact size he recommends and do this - it worked for me for my sumping issue. Let me know...
shovelheadgreg

Old 08-27-2010, 01:54 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 48,986 Likes on 17,897 Posts

Originally Posted by shovelheadgreg
I found out the hard way that I had the same problem and go to http://www.bigboyzheadporting.com/showthread.php?t=87 for the ONLY thing that corrected my issue. Take your time, read the article and then find an EVO push rod that is the exact size he recommends and do this - it worked for me for my sumping issue. Let me know...
shovelheadgreg

Nice find on the article saved me trying to type that one up . Only way I've ever found to stop that problem , even on new oil pumps I'll do that before installing . You can do it on the bike if you pull the front cover so you clean out any compound ( brake cleaner spray ) but off is safest if your unsure .

Old 08-30-2010, 03:40 PM
dmills
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dmills
I have a problem with my shovel sumping oil. I have done everything I can think of to stop it like reseating the check ball in the oil pump lengthening the spring for more tension, all the oil lines are on correct breather lines are open. the cam and lower end breather is in time. i have checked the gaskets on the oil pump and timing cover. it still leaks about a quart in about 60 miles.
The reply I got back is from Shovelhead Greg He told me to reseat the check ball in the oil pump. I have done that except I welded a rod to a check ball and used it to hand lapp in the seat when I put water in the pump above the ball it will hold water so it should hold back 50 weight oil. I put the pump back on and it still leaks oil, a lot of oil. I even installed the old oil pump and it is the same story it leaks oil. Now this engine was rebuilt just before I bought it and I don't know if that has something to do with why it leaks oil out of the breather tube.

Old 08-30-2010, 06:50 PM
sqdealgeorge
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Time to check the oil pump gear keys When the bike is running can you see oil returning to the oil tank ? I always run clear/braided hose on the oil return line

Old 08-31-2010, 11:45 AM
shovelheadgreg
Advanced

Another issue might be the breather valve. I just rebuilt a customers shovel and when I took it apart I found a gouge inside the breather gear housing on the case. I had to bore it and replace with a .30 over breather gear (oil slinger). Pull your breather and look verrry closely inside for gouges. If found you will have to purchase a bore kit or crack your cases and have it done. the bore I think is around $400 with it you don't have to worry about getting shavings in your engine case. Make sure your main, cam and breather are all timed correctly first.
ShovelheadGreg

Old 09-02-2010, 10:37 PM
yljkt
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You sure its not a sucker motor? They were around. Those who know will know..those that don't won't.

Old 09-16-2010, 11:24 AM
hobobiker
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

+1 on the breather valve check (and if it's a plastic one toss it in the garbage and replace with a metal one anyway). Also, if the right gasket isn't on the nosecone the bottom area of the oil pump cavity may not be sealed off correctly. This has been known to cause a few leaks out the breather hose.

Let us know how things go...

Old 09-16-2010, 12:42 PM
shovelheadgreg
Advanced

Did you ever get this issue fixed? Just wondering...
ShovelheadGreg

Old 09-16-2010, 06:28 PM
sqdealgeorge
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Shovelheadgreg get use to it there is alot of deadbeats out there !