Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

But yet another clutch issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2010, 02:03 AM
dunnth
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default But yet another clutch issue

So heres the deal, im kinda new at this but i know the rules. Ive been a long time rider but this is my first thread. I searched through all old and recent threads theads on this issue but i couldnt really find a solution.
Heres some background. I have a 1981 FLT that i recently puchesed, from my uncle for 2 grand. It set in a barn with dirt floors for the last 10 years. i rebuilt the top end all the way, bored .020 over, new valves new valve retainers, new pistons, new tappets, new tappet guides, new pushrods, ect. put a new police edition clutch pack on her, new exhaust, new dual exaust, new mustang seat, and a chrome pack...
She turned out awesome, i had a few minor setbacks but overall she is perfect, and she still original paint!!
Soooo. anyway i have been riding for a couple of weeks now when all of a sudden i started having clutch issues, i dont have a problem when i start it in gear but if i stop at a light; sometimes when i go to take off it lurches forward and almost chirps the rear tire. I feel like a retard cuz when it happens i look like i just started riding, and letting the clutch out to fast or something.
I Checked the adjustment on the plate and it is dead on 1 1/32" then i checked the adjustment of the cable and i have a little more than a 1/16" of play.

Anyway, if you guys have any help or insite on what might cause this, or if u have this issue as well i am more than interested on any feedback, thanks.

Last edited by dunnth; 06-30-2010 at 01:37 PM.
Old 06-30-2010, 02:11 AM
dunnth
4th Gear

sorry guys apparently i posted the same thread twice

Old 06-30-2010, 10:18 AM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,346 Likes on 1,520 Posts

First off I gotta say you got a heck of a deal and did an outstanding job on bringing the bike back to life.

Probably a retard question but you did adjust the clutch with the engine cold yes?

I would pop the cover, add slack to the cable and recheck the adjustment screw for the clutch push rod. Back it out and turn it in till it contacts the pushrod, back it out 1/8-1/4 turn, readjust cable.

Another thing that causes clutch problems are worn/warped friction and steel plates as well as the fingers on the hubs worn to the point they are grooved and do not allow plates to smoothly disengage.

Old 06-30-2010, 01:36 PM
dunnth
4th Gear

Thanks for the complement, but as my uncle said, it only takes money. lol
I did adjust the clutch cable with the engine cold. im gonna try the pushrod again. i would hope that the plates would be okay because they were new as well, I dont think i rode it that hard.
any way ill do that today and let you know how it goes

Old 06-30-2010, 09:17 PM
mkhenry
Novice

The clutch fiber disks are probably glazed. Remove them, soak in gasoline a little bit, let dry, and scuff on some rough concrete. Seems to fix most folks lurching problems. I know what you mean about the sudden take offs when easing off the clutch. Scares the crap out of you and makes you look like an idiot.

Old 06-30-2010, 11:18 PM
11sec.shovel
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Thumbs up

Great job on the FL resto! & the Orignal paint looks great as well. I could never get the orignal clutch set-up to to work properly....nature of the beast.Get it to disengage and then it would slip.When it is feasable, go to an aftermarket...you wont be sorry. Good advice above and might be doable with a stock motor.again, your bike looks preeeemo! Your uncle may want it back.

Old 07-01-2010, 12:42 AM
dunnth
4th Gear

Originally Posted by 11sec.shovel
Your uncle may want it back.
Its funny u should say that because just the other day he made the comment, "That bike didnt look that good when i bought in 1984"
i think he is having second thoughts. oh well his loss is my gain.

thanks again for the advice

Old 07-01-2010, 09:01 AM
72fl
Road Master
Received 105 Likes on 55 Posts

I'm in central IL another thing to check is when it gets hot is the inner primary chain may be getting to tight wanting the bike to surge. Check in your manual for inner primary chain slack but I think its about 5/8" to 3/4" cold. I have a 72 shovel and I'm always trying to find ways to get that perfect clutch and shift setup. I've had it for 7 years and I think I'm gettin close LOL

Last edited by 72fl; 07-01-2010 at 09:03 AM.
Old 07-02-2010, 03:31 AM
dunnth
4th Gear

Alright guys, so i tore into her today and i believe that i found the problem, so thank you to all that gave advice.
First thing i did was loosen up the clutch cable all the way, then i took the derby cover of to reset the pushrod. but while i was doing that i decided to go ahead and take the primary off, i figured i could check the chain, clean the plates & disks, reset the spring plate distance, and reset the pushrod all at the same time, well as i was pulling off the primary cover, 4 brass rivets fell out from inside the cover. as i investigated further i found that the clutch hub pad that is riveted on to the the clutch hub was a weee-bit on the worn side. and guess what for of the rivets had came out and the rest were on they're way. so needless to say the new pad and rivets should be in tomorrow and she will hopefully be ready for the weekend, Ill let ya'll know how it goes.

Thanks again for all the help!!!

Old 07-02-2010, 09:08 AM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,346 Likes on 1,520 Posts

Up and running for the long weekend! Don't get much better than that. glad you diagnosed the problem. Gotta love old iron. They make you work a bit harder but there is nothing like them

Quick Reply: But yet another clutch issue