Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

But yet another clutch issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2010, 12:33 PM
AlCherry
Road Warrior
Received 90 Likes on 51 Posts

If it still lurches after you get it back together, your problem may be the fiber plates themselves. The aftermarket plates you have in it maybe wet or dry plates and needs to be soaked in oil for a few days to get them "wet" enough to grab properly. I ran into this problem a few years ago with the Barnett Kevlar fiber plates when they first came on line.

Old 07-04-2010, 06:02 AM
Shane Hutchins Sr.
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm jumping in alittle late but, put a basket retainer in. It basically replaces the bearing retainer and springs. Took me all of a half hour to install. There are two types, a Tamer for aroung $80. or a retainer for around $20. The Tamer looks like it will last longer as the retainer is a compound material (plastics). This will help keep the basket from drifting on the hub. It made a huge difference on mine so comes highly recommended. Thanx again sqdealgeorge.

Old 07-06-2010, 03:03 PM
Staggerty
Stage IV

I've had lurching problems for years on my 83 FXR. It was always pulling when sitting at lights. Finally found a guy who recommended a little gizmo called a RAMJET. Had it installed and clutch works better than ever, and I have been riding this bike for 25 years.

Old 07-07-2010, 02:04 AM
dunnth
4th Gear

hey guys sorry it took so long to repy, however put the new hub disk in and reinstalled (took way to long because of that damn primary chain, i just couldn't get it on the basket) but after i got her all back together and took her for a test drive MAN!!!! what a difference. of course i had to readjust the cable and pushrod. but the end result is awesome. it dosent lurch at all. so hopefully all is well now!!

(for all those that dont know- that hub retainer nut is reverse thread. just in case)

My only issue now is that damn oil bath chain. ive tried everything and it still leaks. i guess its just the nature of the beast.

thanks again you guys are great!!!!

Old 07-25-2010, 07:43 PM
chriscujoscreech
Stage I
Default Seal it!

Seal that inner primary! Why would anyone want to run oil that's been in the primary case through their motor? HD figured it out in the mid '80s. After the oil bath is shut off, just add 5 oz. of oil in the primary. That will keep the primary chain lubed, and keep the clutch gunk out of your motor.