Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

2 out to 4 Coil wire slpitter ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2010, 11:28 AM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 48,988 Likes on 17,898 Posts
Default 2 out to 4 Coil wire slpitter ?

Any body have any experience using one of those 2 out to 4 plug wire splitters that plugged into a stock style coil ? I'm trying to set up a a dual plug arrangement for a friend who has never mechanical skills none money . The heads are plugged and I have one of those splitters in box I,ve had for years I think Compu Fire made them way back when . I,ve never used it so I'm wondering if a hi output coil with a Dyna S style knock off ignition and the gizmo would work ok , I'm really trying to avoid dual coils and all the mount rigging it would take for his bike .

Old 06-26-2010, 04:21 AM
Shane Hutchins Sr.
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Twizted, If your buying a coil and ignition setup, go for a super coil single fire. It can be wired for either single or dual fire ignitions. I think Accel has em' an they aren't much more than a cheaper hi output. You still only have one coil, you'd have to use the splitters you allready have and I'm pretty sure you can run with the stock igntion set up. But why not just use the splitters on whats allready on the bike? You won't have to get into the ignition or coil, it would be a good idea to do a continuity test on the wires before installing to make sure there aren't any breaks. If your trying to set up a single fire arrangement your going to have to upgrade the coil to one that will fire each cylinder independently or run a second coil.
Hope this was helpful.

Old 06-27-2010, 04:35 AM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 48,988 Likes on 17,898 Posts

What I first posted is the existing setup on the bike , it had a valve guide loosen up so I talked the owner into dual plugging the heads while there out for repair . Ignition system is a Dyna S look alike dual fire unit with a 5 ohm coil , single fire will come down the road a ways if I up upgrade mine I kick old stuff down to him . I would think splitting the spark 4 ways instead of 2 would weaken it for all 4 plugs , I'm looking for input on how or if that would work .

Old 06-27-2010, 06:34 AM
Shane Hutchins Sr.
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I spliced together a set of accel wires off a stock coil w/points and got a blue jump across all four plugs, can't say forsure how much umph there was at the plug just that it had a blue spark. Ran it like that till the single fire set-up went in with no problems.
Maybe try putting the splitter on and only hook one side, should fire and run. then hook up the second plugs an see what happens.