Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

carb

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2010, 12:38 PM
bigzdogz
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default carb

i am rebuilding my single barrel butterfly carb. the only thing that i can find on the casing is zenith usa. i bought a bendix carb kit. all the parts look a like. but my question is does anybody know how many turns out for air and fuel.
thanks

Old 05-08-2010, 01:00 PM
sqdealgeorge
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Low speed needle (closest to flange ) start at 1 turn out

Old 05-08-2010, 01:59 PM
FLYING
Club Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

While doing the rebuild be sure to check the play on the throttle valve shaft itself
(thats the rod that goes through the body & connects to the butterfly)as often the bushings are worn and cause a vacum leak.Have Fun & good luck !!!!!

Old 05-08-2010, 02:27 PM
bigzdogz
Novice

all went good on my carb just one problem i cant seem to get the accelerator pump to work properly when i go to give it gas the spring on the pump goes down but not the rod. does anybody have a pic

Old 05-08-2010, 04:45 PM
bigzdogz
Novice

ok i found a good pic of the carb on the accelerator pump. i got the carb set but the throtle won't go return to the idel screw. there seems to be a catch right before the screw. so when i give it gas the carb does not spit gas at the butterfly. in pic 2 you can see where the throttle gets stuck

Attached Thumbnails carb-bike-001.jpg   carb-bike-002.jpg  
Old 05-08-2010, 05:15 PM
sqdealgeorge
Road Warrior

On the pic to the lelt that spring on the cable should not be there ? I see you have an adj main jet orig carbs did not have You might have to change the accel pump diaphram maybe that illegal spring is hindering the procedure and throttle movement

Old 05-08-2010, 05:28 PM
bigzdogz
Novice

the one on the throttle cable

Old 05-08-2010, 07:37 PM
sqdealgeorge
Road Warrior

Yes this spring should not be there All you should see is the cable This spring is probably binding up so you don't get full throttle pull

Old 05-09-2010, 09:59 AM
police
Novice

HI, i have found that there is 3 different springs that can go on the accelerator pump shaft from light to heavy also different accelerator pump materials . i found the pink colored one to be ok, i tryed a black colored one and had the same problem as you described with the plunger not going down (too tight in the hole) and operating the fuel enricher jet. i recently changed from a 38mm to a 40mm carb and had a huge flat spot that was caused by this, also the newer carb has a different jet in it compared to the older carb which i believe has a needle arrangement while the newer one has a spring loaded jet that seems to take more effort to make squirt the fuel through the jet. i have in fact used the bowl off the early carb on the 40mm carb and it all seems to be working a lot better realy good in fact . it could be the reason the other guy gave it the flick as it is actually nearly new but did not go to good untill i swaped the bowls and played around with it a bit to get it right . hope this helps cheers kev

Old 05-09-2010, 11:38 AM
bigzdogz
Novice

any idea on where i can pick up a accelerator pump like the pink one

Quick Reply: carb