Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

clutch issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2010 | 09:07 PM
police
|
Novice
Default clutch issue

G'day , I have had the 82 shovel lowrider for about 15 years, when I got it it had a barnett clutch which has been ok except having to clean the plates occasionly because of sticking, but there was never any freeplay at the lever and always had a heavy clutch. From 2000 on i have been swinging a chair and the clutch seemed to handle it ok but the adjustment was always crittical and i could not get the freeplay right. I put an energy-one clutch and a five bolt basket in it 12 months ago and still no freeplay and very crittical on the adjustment between slippage and grip. I have just done a rebuild and the clutch was still the same , I was thinking something was not right an happened to look at the manual when i realised that the shovel only has 4 steel plates and 5 drive plates. Ever since i owned it , it has been running an extra plate clutch, last night i ripped it apart and took out 1 steel and 1 drive plate . Took it out for a run and i now have the correct freeplay and a fairly light clutch which i have never had. when i put the energy-one clutch in i had to use the barnett springs because it was too heavy to pull in.. now i have put the energy-one springs in and it would appear that after all these years i may have found the reason for no freeplay and a heavy clutch action... I would be interested to here what the experts think (we own shovels we're experts) cheers kev

Had to put the extra plate back in as when i went to adjust the clutch after it settled in there was no adjustment left on the threads to put more pressure on the plates to stop a bit of slippage.!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by police; 05-16-2010 at 04:24 AM.