Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

84 FLH Need Good Source for Parts/Accessories

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 12:38 AM
keith3516
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 84 FLH Need Good Source for Parts/Accessories

Greetings,

I posted this originally in the Touring Forum and those folks suggested I try here. I inherited my dad's 1984 FLH recently. He was the original owner - 80ci shovelhead with 4-speed and belt drive. I've been told those later shovelheads actually have an evo lower end, but I guess I'm unclear on where that line gets drawn. The odo says about 84k miles on it. He recently had some work done as I have some receipts for it, but it's unclear exactly what was done other than he mentioned to me there was "a lot of S&S in the engine now".

The long and the short is the thing runs great. What I'm looking for is access to a lot of the accessories - chrome, panels, controls, seats, etc available for a bike like this to get it back as close to stock as practical.

One other note: my dad's brother had an '88 Electra that they both insisted handled a lot better. I never rode my uncle's, so I'd be curious if anyone has any ideas on how to make the older bike handle any better (I read something sort of vague about front spring rates).

In any case, attached are 3 pics of what the bike looks like today and what it looked like circa 1988. Any input or ideas for information and parts sources would really be appreciated.

Keith

Attached Thumbnails 84 FLH Need Good Source for Parts/Accessories-dads-flh-front.jpg   84 FLH Need Good Source for Parts/Accessories-dads-flh-rear.jpg   84 FLH Need Good Source for Parts/Accessories-dads-flh-rh.jpg   84 FLH Need Good Source for Parts/Accessories-dads-flh-circa-1988.jpg  
Old 04-06-2010, 01:35 AM
FilthyLucre
Road Master
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

The V-twin catalog has a section for classic bikes and will probably have anything you need. J&B Cycles does mail order so you could request a catalog and go that route also. Find an Independent shop and they will probably order anything you want.

Old 04-06-2010, 09:31 AM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,341 Likes on 1,518 Posts

The question you need to ask is are you looking for stock parts or just to make it stock looking.

Stock parts can be difficult to find depending on the part. Stock looking can easily be obtained by using V-Twin or J&P. Both have catalogs you can obtain or view on line. J&P you can order on line; V-Twin is just a call away.

If you get into some of the mechanical things for engine/tranny one of the best sources for American parts is www.nosparts.com. Colony has a website that lets you view nuts and bolts stuff. They actually have done a good job of replicating the old parts. You can get their stuff from V-Twin.

Just remember that a lot of the bling added to the old baggers were not OEM but came from places like Dixie and Superior (Japan import stuff).

Last thing...get yourself an OEM manual as well as a parts book. Some folks (I am one) swear by them and some swear at them and get something else like Clymer. Its all what works for you.

For a bit of history and color pics of the shovelhead era, pick up a copy of Harley Davidson Shovelhead by Tom Murphy. Motorbooks International sells it.

BTW, nice looking bike as it sits. S&S are quality components. Just take some time to go through the receipts to determine exactly what was done or go to the shop that did the work and talk to the mechanic so you have a baseline of what exactly was done engine/tranny wise.

Old 04-16-2010, 08:32 PM
U-234
Road Warrior
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Have have used J&P for some of my Shovelhead needs. Use eBay and swap meets for OEM parts.
For handling: 1. Get new, updated, aftermarket shocks.
2. Try intiminators in the forks: And or new springs (Progressive)
3. New swingarm bearings and put Timken type races and bearings in fork neck.

I did number 1, 3, and added Progressives on my '80 several years ago and that tightened up the handling. A friend of my rode it that had a Shovel and an EVO and said that my bike handled more like his 1996 EVO Dresser. Now I'm thinking about the Intiminators, but it will be when I buy new fork tubes. Got some wear on them inside the lower legs.

Old 04-21-2010, 10:34 AM
Free Willie
Advanced

For handling: 1. Get new, updated, aftermarket shocks.
2. Try intiminators in the forks: And or new springs (Progressive)
3. New swingarm bearings and put Timken type races and bearings in fork neck.

Not sure what Intiminators are but # 1 & 3 did the trick for me years ago.
Mine handles great for me - but I've been told I'm "Not Right Upstairs"
It's only been upside down on fire once.

Old 04-21-2010, 04:19 PM
jkevn
Advanced

Jireh/MidWest is a good place for parts for the older stuff as well.
http://www.jirehcycles.com/catalogpdf/

Old 05-06-2012, 09:37 AM
shovelhead1848
Stage II
Default 84 shovelhead 4 speed belt drive

i have a 84 shovelhead 4 speed belt drive that runs great low miles for sale

Old 05-06-2012, 09:42 AM
shovelhead1848
Stage II

i have same bike contact me mine is for sale i drive truck when i get home will put pict on post thanks shovelhead

Old 05-06-2012, 09:45 AM
biginchhustler
Road Master
Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

EBAY --- i buy and get some really good deals-- i bought a 1982 in perfect shape 4 speed snail top tranny case for $50 --- i got a jims billet 2 piece cam cover like new for $75 -- a set of excellent 1978 dual plug shovelheads guides (even though i changed them to cast) and the seats were near perfect for $250